Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to PCC

Hi Murzikrv, I hope you don't mind if i continue in the same line of questioning (hijacking your thread).

I will be new to PCC shortly, but i did decide on a gun already and will be picking it up Monday. After a good amount of research, looking at building my own, buying one and then figuring out which one, i found that the JP gmr15 was tough to beat, and the wait and cost of the JP5 was too much for me at this time.

out the door, 1907.45 with the light weight barrel. very happy with the package. 

I have been using Holosun optics on my Carry Optics CZ's and plan to be using the Holosun HS512C, a 45 mount with a Holosun HS507C and a Viridian HS1 Hand Stop Laser.

2 questions:

1 What repair items do i need to keep on hand, are there "more common" parts that fail, like firing pin, for example, or is this going to be 10,000 rounds before i really see anything go bad?

2 - from the optic choices that i indicated above, what recommend changes do you have?

There are defiantly cheaper options, but i was had pressed to really find a better one. Looking forward to the conversation.

For a somewhat budget build, I would check out the EPC from Aero Precision.  A buddy has built one to test and it has ran without issue.  Takes Glock mags, pretty budget friendly. 

I own a JP GMR 15 and the thing is a beast.  It just runs. I have a JP5 on order but who knows when that will  show up.

I was able to shot a Davinci, with a Scheel buffer system in it this weekend.  The dot did not move much at all if any when shooting that PCC.  From the sounds of it you can get a Davinci ordered and receive it in about 2 weeks time.  I am interested in the Scheel buffer system, so I might be giving that a try soon on my JP.

Some can get their MPX to run without issue, but there is a steep learning curve on what to do and what not to do with that PCC and how to maintain it so it runs.  Some have good luck with them, but many do not take the time to learn all the ins and outs of that platform to keep it running reliably.  The MPX intrigues me but I have seen far to many fail on the clock for the reason mentioned above and do not care to try that experiment.  

It really comes down to your price point, and personal preference.  As with all firearms, I would try to shoot as many as you can before choosing.  

Edited by Boomstick303
3 hours ago, Andy9 said:

Hi Murzikrv, I hope you don't mind if i continue in the same line of questioning (hijacking your thread).

I will be new to PCC shortly, but i did decide on a gun already and will be picking it up Monday. After a good amount of research, looking at building my own, buying one and then figuring out which one, i found that the JP gmr15 was tough to beat, and the wait and cost of the JP5 was too much for me at this time.

out the door, 1907.45 with the light weight barrel. very happy with the package. 

I have been using Holosun optics on my Carry Optics CZ's and plan to be using the Holosun HS512C, a 45 mount with a Holosun HS507C and a Viridian HS1 Hand Stop Laser.

2 questions:

1 What repair items do i need to keep on hand, are there "more common" parts that fail, like firing pin, for example, or is this going to be 10,000 rounds before i really see anything go bad?

2 - from the optic choices that i indicated above, what recommend changes do you have?

There are defiantly cheaper options, but i was had pressed to really find a better one. Looking forward to the conversation.

Best choice

Mine has 15000 rounds and zero problems

I would ensure a firing pin on reserve and change the extractor every 10k rounds or so (this part needs attention)

that’s all

My first PCC was a Ruger PC Carbine as it was the least expensive way to get into the game at the time.   I liked it and still have it and it showed me I really enjoyed shooting a PCC.  So, on to something "better".  That something better, based on everything I read here and elsewhere, was a JP GMR 15 and I couldn't be more pleased.  It has run flawlessly and is far more capable than I'll ever be.  An extravagance?  Sure, but well worth it to me.  

As to spares, all I have purchased is a set of replacement O-rings for the SCC  which I will use when needed but that's about it. 

I have a Holosun HS510C on the JP and it has worked very well, having the widest field of view on any red dot I've seen, particularly after I removed the outer shroud.   I also have a HS512 and it seemed promising but the field of view is more restricted so I've stayed with the 510.  

I am really new to PCC too. I looked the expensive PCC guns and best I could do was a JPGMR15 After JP worked it over and, I replaced a few minor parts. I love shooting this gun And I don't feel like it will ever slow me down, more less I will slow it down.  so there's no need for me to upgrade to anything else, I will invest all the extra money into reloading supplies and practice.

18 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Best choice

Mine has 15000 rounds and zero problems

I would ensure a firing pin on reserve and change the extractor every 10k rounds or so (this part needs attention)

that’s all

Thanks for the heads up on the extractor, I will get one of those on the way with an extra firing pin.

• 3 weeks later...

For those wanting to get their feet wet with PCC to see if it is worth their time , I highly recommend the Ruger.  It is decent out of the box; if you throw on a decent optic and trigger, it is pretty much going to carry you until you are outrunning the gun.  At that point, you can use it for a backup PCC, since we all know PCCs are 100% reliable and never go down... 😃 At that point, you can shell out the big bucks for a 1500+ PCC and have one you trust as backup.

If you are familiar with ar builds I would recommend Aero 9mm lower(complete or build you own) and a Taccom upper with bolt carrier,  That is my build and has run 99.999 per cent....I have one fail to chamber then I cleaned it after 3000 rounds.  Used glock mags,,,,I like ETS mags but main mag is taccom extension on 33 round glock mag.

For the cost,  It's hard to beat the out of the box Rugers. I like the old CMORE slide ride red dots, because #1. They last, can be repaired, #2. The selection of interchangeable dot modules ($50.00 ea.) that are available. . You can purchase the CMORE picatinny adaptor if you get a plain railway red dot on line without it. I have found the ETS mags to be of very good quality and at $15.00 for a 40 rounder , JUST as good a the big Glock mags AND a lot less$$$$...Taccom has lots of parts for the Ruger IF you want to keep her... I would not be afraid If I bought a used one. Go to any of the Glock Forums on the OAL of your ammo.. The Glocks mags tend to like a bit shorter ammo..BOTECH usually has the ETS mags for a decent price.

I did finally pick up my first PCC, JP15-9 and sighted it in on Saturday. using a Holosun HS512C.

I will be mostly using it in IDPA (ditching the concealment garment!!)

My first practice with it is tonight (shot a regional match in CO on Sunday), and glad to continue to hear good reports about the ETS mags, as I got 5 of them. also got 3 glock 33's but that is all my LGS had. For the 10 rounder that came with the JP, I got a brass Taylor Freelance base pad and plan on using it for those down loaded starts. 

It does BURN THROUGH AMMO..... WOW. 🙄 

Go to the Aero Precision website and check on their lowers, complete or bare and the order Taccom's upper or just their barrel and BCG...you can do a build for $4-6 hundred dollars and then etc 40 round mags and you are in business.  Then get a 5-7 ounce buffer weight and 5 to 7 quarters to short stroke the system....fun project

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crazy thing is I started with a Stribog and pretty quickly went to a JP GMR-15 and now have a JP5 on order.  I plan to keep the GMR still as a back up as it is a really nice PCC to shoot.  My son prefers the Stribog A3 because of the size but he is just having fun shooting.