Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does qualification for IPSC World Shoot work?

blindmarksman

In the past it has been based on the last two Nationals for each specific division plus the US-IPSC Nationals.

There is supposed to be a discussion at BOD level this year about it but it has not happened yet.

Not sure when/if the 2020 World Shoot will ever happen (postponed due to C19).

I am also not sure if the budget deficit will have any impact on funding the Nationals teams when/if the event occurs.

As someone who has  qualified for the "current" WS and Pan American, let me answer as best I can.

In the years between the World Shoots there are two national championships for your division and two US ipsc championships for your division. These four matches are your available qualifying matches. For them to count they must be shot in the division in which you're applying, no mix and match. In my case it is Prod.

So I shoot both Prod nats and then I shoot both US ipsc nats in Prod. I have these four scores, the score being my percent finish in the division.

I then take the best three of them, so let's say I shot 77%, 81%, 82% and 80% of the winner across the four matches. My score to apply to the WS would then be 80 + 81 +82 for a total of 243.  When it comes time for applications you submit your score and wait. The region, USPSA, is allotted so many slots and supposedly they work their way down from top to bottom.

So earning those 243 points I have a better application than say someone who shot 90% at just the two uspsa nats and didn't shoot any of the ipsc nats matches. Supposedly. But none of the applicants see anyone else's application. Though you can go through the 4 match results for yoru division and figure out the top scores pretty quickly and see where you might stand. (Which I did)

So if there are only 10 slots for Prod shooters and going from most points on an application to least if number 10 has 244 points they are getting in and I am not. I have tried multiple times to get in and this cycle is the first time I have, getting an individual slot.

Now the big question is the extremely poor information flow from uspsa to competitors. I can go to the Canada ipsc site and find 10x as much info about what is going on as I've gotten from uspsa. But hey, they took my $900 bucks, so what do I matter? (rough number, 500 ish for world shoot and 400 ish for pan americans)

Edited by rowdyb

Once USPSA determines the process for the next World Shoot they will publish that in the Announcements section of the web-site and also in the magazine. In the past they have also included any instructions for those wishing to get individual slots. 

At this time there is nothing more to add, just waiting on the org to finalize the requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I’m guessing, but I suspect that the vaccination/testing/quarantine procedures are involved somewhere in the decision making process   

It's a $2000 flight that takes 24 hours would be the primary reason for many

I can afford the trip. But the logistics of it might be too annoying for me to go, and I've been to 28 countries. Also the fact that USPSA does absolutely nothing to help or guide you through the process is a huge turn off. The premiere event for us, that they force you to qualify for over years and then basically abandon you once they get $500 bucks non-refundable out of you. Bush league.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, shred said:

The US teams (and diminished contingent) were published last week, but supposedly need to be reworked a bit, so that's going on now.

I withdrew last week...

7 hours ago, Jerome Poiret said:

Thanks Shred, but I can't find the list on the USPSA website.

You're expecting way to much. Next you'll want a live stream of a world championship event and real time scoring...

I like World Shoots.  They're a ton of fun, but every time I think "this might be my last one" when it gets to the travel hassles.  Flying with guns overseas is a PITA, airline rules seem to change randomly and there's always a giant pileup somewhere along the way when a customs official didn't read the memo that a thousand people will be showing up with guns all at once.

I remember the mess at LAX (I think) when a bunch of us flew out for the 1999 World Shoot in the Philippines. The staff at Philippine Air tried to enforce the ammo limit for everyone. I think we were all carrying about 1000 rounds 😆

Edited by BritinUSA