Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some thoughts on .40SW

CC3D

24 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

That's a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Completely agree. Without lowering the PF floor, bad bad idea. Although it seems that lowering PF to be on par with IPSC is a popular enough idea, we may see it at some point.

IPSC PF for Major in Standard ("Limited") and Classic ("Single Stack") and Revolver is 170.  Only in Open is it 160.  USPSA split the difference and went 165 across the board.

In the long long ago when Major was 175 PF, 9x19 was allowed for Major Open if it was loaded at least 1.250" OAL.  A few (very few) people did that.  Others shot 9x21 which was a fig-leafed 9x19 and suffered much slide-stop breakage in the CZ clones of the day.

For the real history buffs, look up the .356 TSW.  That was going to be the gamer 9mm-size round for Limited Major but instead was the proximate cause of the .40-cal rule.

20 minutes ago, shred said:

For the real history buffs, look up the .356 TSW.  That was going to be the gamer 9mm-size round for Limited Major but instead was the proximate cause of the .40-cal minimum rule.

yup  good ol 5906 in .356      and found this  G1220-Handguns-4.jpg

Edited by Sinister4

I think you'll see 2011 in CO or mrds on limited guns before you see this...

But from a doability stand point..

In 2011 style guns you can build a 9mm major load that's not too bad due to the length you can load to and use of heavy for caliber bullets. Think or 147 or heavier bullets (I think 357 sig is legal in standard division for Ipsc and the heavy bullets are the approach most of them take I believe.)

Probably I'd want a restriction like the one that used to be be on 9mm guns in open before the reduced PF.  Say a minimum bullet weight of 145 gr and a minimum length of 1.18 or something. I'd like a 20 round mag limit (or something) to keep from needlessly making all the current limited guns obsolete but then that's just me.

Will it be harsher in the hand? Most assuredly but with the right springing and a heavy gun with a metal grip, likely you wouldn't really notice. (I have a 9mm steel framed Caspian limited gun that happily eats my open major ammo.  I wouldn't want to shoot 500 rounds a week from it but it's not worse that mild. 357 mag loads.)

Edited by caspian guy

On 4/28/2022 at 6:12 PM, Sinister4 said:

And IMHO major needs to go back to  175,  standard carry load in .40 is a 180 gr at 1000-1050 fps  the lower it goes the more meaningless the PF becomes

And the more meaningless is the reason for major to earn more points for a C or D hit.

The original poster has really good points.  I would say of course the 40 has fewer options and platforms available. Especially coming from CZ. I would love to have a 40 threaded barrel for a suppressor.