Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failsafe rod bracket relocation

I hope I can explain this well without pictures, here goes. 

The 750 has the issue where running a bullet feeder in position 4 gets in the way of the powder drop.  There are several solutions for this, getting the short throw bar from DAA, using springs instead of the failsafe rod, etc. One more solution I have thought of is simply rotating the measure so that the factory powder bar clears the bullet drop die. 

This obviously creates an issue with making the failsafe rod aligned improperly. My question therefor is, does anyone see an issue with relocating the bracket on the bottom of the Dillon (the one connected to the primer slide) where the failsafe rod interfaces? You could in theory move the bracket to be properly in line with the new location of the failsafe rod. My idea is to take some measurements and model one to 3D print. 

Before proceeding with this idea I wanted to run it by some other brains just to see if I'm inadvertently doing some damage or solving a problem that already has a solution. I hope that makes sense, will post some pictures for clarification if needed. 

convert your powder measure to the old style. with return springs. numerous threads with instructions. 

Edited by AHI
to add link

AHI, that’s my picture 🤓. I’ve never installed the falesafe rod on my 650 or 1050. The springs just work. Dillon keeps extras in the drawers by the registers, cause they know they work.

7 hours ago, N7VY said:

AHI, that’s my picture 🤓. I’ve never installed the falesafe rod on my 650 or 1050. The springs just work. Dillon keeps extras in the drawers by the registers, cause they know they work.

It's actually a link to one of mutipul discussions. Yes I run the "old style" springs on all but one of my powder measures.(7)

From what I understand the springs cost like 18 dollars after shipping from Dillon. Cant get them free anymore apparently. 

I also like the idea of being physically incapable of double charging a round. If the springs are the ultimate solution why does Dillion make the models with a failsafe rod? 

It will take me 10 minutes to model a new bracket, I just wanted to see if there was a glaring reason not to *mechanically*. That file then gets posted and serves as a free solution to anyone with access to a printer. No money on springs, no money on a new powder slider. 

Just because a solution already exists doesn't mean other options can't be valid

Thanks for the input regardless

Go ahead and make your 3d printed plastic bracket. It may be a good idea. But I thank you will find other issues .Trying to use it.

Edited by AHI

So I finally had a free minute to try this out, and the answer to my original question in this thread is "the spent primer cup will be in the way". 

This is easily solved by upgrading to the spent primer tube-shoot and doing away the cup. Plenty of designs already available for that online, downside is you have to grab some nylon tubing which is a bit of a hassle. 

That said, I printed a test version of the relocation bracket and it worked like a charm. I'm printing a full- strength version of it now and will report back once I have a few hundred rounds loaded on it to see how it holds up.