Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullets in M&P9 Barrel

robertg5322

Recently started using 124g Precision Bullets in my M&P9 (2.0), and discovered they won't chamber fully. Same rounds chambered in a Gen 5 Glock 17, Beretta 92 Brigadier and 92X Performance, Colr 9mm NMGC, Springfield Armory 9mm 1911 with Kart barrel, Sig P320 Max and Canik TP9SFX.  Also wouldn't chamber in a Shadow 2.

Not even close, OAL  is 1.12", not especially long.

Fortunately it's an Apex barrel, so it throated with no issues, but the stock barrel originally in the gun, and in the other M&P9 probably ruined my throating reamer. It just bounced off the rifling, cutting nothing. Whatever they coat those barrels with at the S&W factory is hard stuff.

The rounds shot great out of the guns they chamber in, just wish such a normal OAL worked in every gun.

🤷‍♂️ All guns are different.    You’ll just have to find a oal that will work for the ones with short chambers and then test them out of the other guns.    Shadow 2s and most CZ pistols are known for having short chambers.      Are you using the regular jacketed 124s or the 124 jhp v1s?

Edited by OpenshooterAclass4lyfe

1 hour ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

🤷‍♂️ All guns are different.    You’ll just have to find a oal that will work for the ones with short chambers and then test them out of the other guns.    Shadow 2s and most CZ pistols are known for having short chambers.      Are you using the regular jacketed 124s or the 124 jhp v1s?

Yeah, I get that, but in the past ammo that worked in my Glocks and other plastic guns worked fine in the M&P, which is why is surprised me that the Precision Bullets were not chambering. They're the newer version of their coated bullets, and other than not chambering in known short chambers (CZ) and the M&P, they run great. they do seem to have a long straight section before the curve to the round nose (ogive?). 

I'm actually more upset that the S&W barrel coating wouldn't allow the throating reamer to "correct" the situation. Guessing when I reload 9mm ammo again, I'll shorten it to run in the CZ and M&P barrels, just cause that's the easiest solution to the issue.