Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Half size target for live fire practice?

StuartV

Is there any downside to shooting 1/2 size USPSA targets at half the distance, for live fire practice?

If you put out 3 half size targets, 1.5' apart, and shoot an El Prez at 5 yards, is the time something you can legit compare to the time from shooting full size targets, 3' apart, at 10 yards?

IMO It really depends on what you're willing to achieve with the specific training or drill. Distance and target difficulty does not influence your presentation time from holster to eye level, but it does influence time to acquire an acceptable sight picture (exact spot on the respective target), your trigger control and shot splits.

12 hours ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

Most people use half size and 1/3 size targets for dry fire to simulate distance.  I would assume it would work for live fire as well.    Although I’d prefer to just use full size targets. 

The 1/2 size targets are cheaper to buy, cheaper to ship, and more convenient to transport. I would kinda rather just use full size, too. But, if the 1/2 size can be used to achieve the same training goals, then I'm okay with cheaper... :)

1 hour ago, StefVanHauwe said:

IMO It really depends on what you're willing to achieve with the specific training or drill. Distance and target difficulty does not influence your presentation time from holster to eye level, but it does influence time to acquire an acceptable sight picture (exact spot on the respective target), your trigger control and shot splits.

But that doesn't really answer the question, does it? Does a half size target at half distance give you the same training benefits with regard to acquiring sight picture, etc., as a full size target at normal distance?

No. You'd think so but no. 
Using small targets at closer distance you can see the perfs, see the holes, etc. It just isn't the same unless you are putting them past the range where you can see those things.

Also, when shooting with irons, the change in focal plane is different when going from looking at the target to looking at your sights. If you are 100% target focused this doesn't really matter but it's something to think about

Edited by waktasz

18 hours ago, StuartV said:

s there any downside to shooting 1/2 size USPSA targets at half the distance, for live fire practice?

Yes there is.

Even though the size would represent a full size target it lacks two things, depth of visual acuity and the shot angle.

Visually our eyes will see things different at the real distances, so a 5 yard target will require our eyes to focus differently than a 10 yard one.

The angle of the gun at 5 verse 10 will not transfer exactly for shots. Try it out and you will find a 2" off center shot at 5 will not become 4" at 10. Yes there are many who will run all the geometric math numbers to prove something on paper, but they just don't transfer 1 for 1 in real life shooting.

I do shoot 1/2 size targets and full size, but prefer the full size for practice. Also can someone link where 1/2 size are less expensive than full size? Thanks!

If the goal is save money, turtle targets are a little smaller and easier to ship. You can also talk to your club maybe buy a case when they're making a order to get any bulk discount they might get.

You can also get those replacement centers I think they're called. Basically is a paper target that you staple over your target and it covers the A/C area so you get more life out of the cardboard behind it. You can make targets last a vary long time. 

1 minute ago, Racinready300ex said:

If the goal is save money, turtle targets are a little smaller and easier to ship. You can also talk to your club maybe buy a case when they're making a order to get any bulk discount they might get.

You can also get those replacement centers I think they're called. Basically is a paper target that you staple over your target and it covers the A/C area so you get more life out of the cardboard behind it. You can make targets last a vary long time. 

or get some used targets after your next local match

5 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Yes there is.

Even though the size would represent a full size target it lacks two things, depth of visual acuity and the shot angle.

Visually our eyes will see things different at the real distances, so a 5 yard target will require our eyes to focus differently than a 10 yard one.

The angle of the gun at 5 verse 10 will not transfer exactly for shots. Try it out and you will find a 2" off center shot at 5 will not become 4" at 10. Yes there are many who will run all the geometric math numbers to prove something on paper, but they just don't transfer 1 for 1 in real life shooting.

I do shoot 1/2 size targets and full size, but prefer the full size for practice. Also can someone link where 1/2 size are less expensive than full size? Thanks!

Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939467980?pid=777756

40 cents per, for 1/2 size, qty 25. I just got a pack and expect 25 to last me a pretty darn long time, only using them for my own practice. I'll paste them until they are totally shot out before pulling out new ones.

Full size from Midway are 80 cents each, even if you buy 100. 92 cents for qty 25.

19 hours ago, StuartV said:

The 1/2 size targets are cheaper to buy, cheaper to ship, and more convenient to transport. I would kinda rather just use full size, too. But, if the 1/2 size can be used to achieve the same training goals, then I'm okay with cheaper... :)

But that doesn't really answer the question, does it? Does a half size target at half distance give you the same training benefits with regard to acquiring sight picture, etc., as a full size target at normal distance?

Again IMO it really depends on what you want to achieve. The more you are exposed to different types of targets at different distances, the better, especially in a live fire setting. For dry fire  I use the DAA dry fire target set that I can set up in different settings, but especially to train target transitions, not really to simulate further distances. For far or difficult targets I take just a 10th of a second more time to acquire my acceptable sight picture (aiming specifically at the cente rof the available target area) and pay extra attention to my trigger control, i.e. "slower" splits, vs close and easy targets. I personally do not see a huge benefit to use small/half targets in a dry fire setting.

As some people already said, I think it can cause problems for depth perception and shot calling. I can see the potential benefit if you're limited by distance at your range (some ranges may not let you place a target a certain distance from the berm), but regardless you'll only be training part of the skill you're focusing on with distance change ups. 

For the cost savings though, I usually just take shot up targets home after a match. They cost nothing, and unless your club prohibits it for some weird reason there is no reason to spend extra money on mini targets outside of dry fire IMHO. Better yet, cut the D zone off the used targets and boom, you have a reduced size target.