Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing is still intact

CC3D

I'm happy to report that after another visit to the ENT/ audiologist, I have not lost any hearing function. 

I have suffered from tinnitus for a few years due to loud noise exposure, not shooting related. For the past year or so I was to a place where I barely noticed it. After running shooters all weekend in a GSSF match, it was back with a vengeance. I wore my ear pro the whole time as I am always diligent, but man has the ringing been bad ever since. I went in again to get a hearing test just to be sure, as I am very worried about hearing loss (still in my early 20's over here). My hearing is still on the upper end of normal according to the tests, and I'm feeling relieved. 

I was to a point in my mind that if my hearing started to go this early in my life, I may need to give up shooting. I'm glad that is not the case. That's all!

• 1 year later...

The tinnitus does not affect your hearing?  It is annoying and I was under the impression that was part of the noise induced hearing loss.  I should get to an audiologist but it is so hard to know which one is good and which one is just trying to sell products.  I failed a hearing test in high school from old school dirt bikes with almost no silencer and construction equipment noise.

I've had tinnitus in my left ear since I was 17 (52 this year). It is the loudest thing I hear no matter what noise is around me. Makes certain tones indistinguishable and they blend in to the sound on my ear. 

In 2016 I had my stapede bone replaced in my left ear and it didn't do anything for the tinnitus.

I've never really gotten used to it but manage. I really wish there was a solution.