Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Americans Who Can't Speak English

Ted Murphy

Thank you All, I though I was the only one that had this pet pevi. its america, speak english!

Don't Use, will not buy HP products anymore. Don't want to talk to someone in INDIA, that i can't understand about a problem with their software / product. Not only do i have a problem with the product NOW i have a problem with understanding the correction.

Word up my brotha!

:D

I don't have a problem with people that can't speak English (native tongue or otherwise). I have a problem with people that won't speak English because of the their preference for a dialect—supposedly of English.

Of all of man's inventions, language is, quite possibly, the greatest. Whichever language/s you choose to communicate in, make it/them your own.

It's okay for people in the Bayous to speak their own version of English but it is not okay for everyone else to speak their version. Maybe it is you don't like some dialects of the English language and you can except others based on something about the people who speak it. Got it.

OK, a spanish lady at mc donalds selling burgers is not critical but a spanish speaking soldier operating with some "explosive enchiladas" is far more critical so I cannot believe this:

http://www.airforce.com/spanish/index.php

(are there some "spanish" models of the F-117A, too? :huh:<_< ).

The US Army has a "spanish" recruiting website, too!!!

Me (as a german), I cannot believe this! A person who is interested in serving the country has to be able to communicate in the country´s language!!! A soldier in the german army who is not able to speak german is unthinkable!!!

Please excuse my poor english! But maybe it´s more than somebody needs for being in the US Army or US Airforce :blink: ...

Oh America, what happened to you .....?

Edited by Peter K

I'm from south of the Mason-Dixon line. A couple of years ago I made a business trip to Massachusetts. As I was checking in to the hotel I asked the nice lady behind the desk if there was anywhere nearby that she would recommend I eat dinner. She said something to the effect that I should go to, "Gnaawthh Shawe Maaull" After about the fifth or sixth time I said, "Huh?" I realized that she was saying, "North Shore Mall". This experience in regional English reminded me of all the Northerners who live in my area who claim that they cannot understand what some of our local people are saying. Dialects are wonderful things.

Edited by sleipnir