Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA and Sight Block Pistols

RangerTrace

I've glanced through the rules a couple times today and didn't see anything specifically prohibiting a sight block pistol, such as the Atlas GW Artemis.  There is a mention of not adding weights, so it could be argued the block is an added weight.  The  bull barrel is now legal and the total length is the same as a 5" gun.

THoughts?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the general restrictions on mag releases have been removed.

A particular appendix may have a restriction, for example SSP. However ESP has no restrictions.

Just heard back earlier from my AC…

…If it makes weight and fits the box it's ESP legal.  It cannot have any other IDPA restricted items and must be suitable for everyday carry….

So comps and ports still a no-no. But sight blocks and island barrels seem to be a go! 😁👍🏽

6 hours ago, v1911 said:

Just heard back earlier from my AC…

…If it makes weight and fits the box it's ESP legal.  It cannot have any other IDPA restricted items and must be suitable for everyday carry….

So comps and ports still a no-no. But sight blocks and island barrels seem to be a go! 😁👍🏽

I'm placing an order today........

On 4/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, RangerTrace said:

I've glanced through the rules a couple times today and didn't see anything specifically prohibiting a sight block pistol, such as the Atlas GW Artemis.  There is a mention of not adding weights, so it could be argued the block is an added weight.  The  bull barrel is now legal and the total length is the same as a 5" gun.

THoughts?

It says you can't add a weight that has no other purpose but the weight. Something like that.

Your sight block is a sight for starters. And the purpose typically is thought of to keep the sight in a fixed location, if it happens to add weight doesn't matter. 

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

It says you can't add a weight that has no other purpose but the weight. Something like that.

Your sight block is a sight for starters. And the purpose typically is thought of to keep the sight in a fixed location, if it happens to add weight doesn't matter. 

I like the way you think!!

So, I spent an hour on the phone with our State Director last night.  He said the sight block IS NOT an issue as long as it fits the box and makes weight.  I'll be shipping my Nyx to Atlas next week and sending them some more $$ to buy the Artemis.  I will say this about Atlas, they take care of their clients.  They are giving me a lot of money for my used Nyx to go towards the new pistol.  I don't know of any other company that does that....

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I'll be shipping my Nyx to Atlas next week and sending them some more $$ to buy the Artemis.

Why the Artemis and not an Athena?  I assume this will be in 9mm?  Also did you see their ARES series?  It would seem that line is more suited for IDPA.  But if you can shoot an Artemis legally, I can understand going that route.

Edited by Boomstick303

If he’s looking to use this for ESP, the Artemis would be ideal.

Sight radius of a 5” but with the slide mass of a 4”. And the extra mass of a 5” barrel and additional weight on a stationary sight makes it an excellent gamers gun.  

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Why the Artemis and not an Athena?  I assume this will be in 9mm?  Also did you see their ARES series?  It would seem that line is more suited for IDPA.  But if you can shoot an Artemis legally, I can understand going that route.

I have to admit I was very interested in the Ares as a duty gun, but I'm just not crazy about spending 6K on an aluminum framed gun for work.  Especially when I've already got a C2 for work.  Sure its not an Atlas, but it also cost 4500 bucks less.  As Paul said, I want the Artemis for the sight radius and non-reciprocating front sight.  I think it's a better design than the sight trackers.  And if it's ESP legal, why not?  I don't think the extra .4" of slide/barrel would make a big enough difference to trade my Nyx.

• 9 months later...
On 4/16/2022 at 9:21 AM, Bluemooncricket said:

Well, if you think about it, they retain value well on the secondary market and cost more than my first couple of cars put together.

Yeah and they're taking in trade a gun they built....so, trading quality for quality with a previous customer is great business sense.

Builds consumer confidence.