Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas tubes

usmc1974

I was wondering if suppressors are hard on gas tubes? I ordered a new Sanders armory 6.5 grendel, match barrel, and at the same time I ordered their gas tube, and they're adjustable gas block.  I only have a maybe 300 rounds in the barrel. I'm starting to see a lot of black blowback out of the gas tube  on the barrel. Is the  Suppressor causing this?

Sounds like you just have a gas tube that's a poor fit for the gas block. It's not uncommon, and not usually a problem unless you're borderline undergassed. If it's just a slight gas leak it'll often carbon itself closed in time, a really loose one might leak forever. And yes a suppressor will exacerbate the issue because it adds backpressure. 

I've bedded a few loose gas tubes with red loctite before and it did work in those instances.

I wouldn't worry about it. Suppressors don't really increase back pressure, but they do increase the amount of time there is back pressure on the system. Most gas tubes leak a bit, and as long as it cycles suppressed and unsuppressed I wouldn't give it any thought. I don't think I would ever red loc-tite a tube into a gas block that would make changing it a real mess if you ever had to, but if you do, DON'T put any past the gas port!!!!

19 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

did you bed it before you pinned it in place?

Yes. I'm sure I got some into the hole too, but it didn't stand a chance against the high pressures. I've removed one of them, a little heat and it came right out, red loctite isn't a near permanent sleeve retaining compound the way it is a near permanent thread locker. Same thing with barrels bedded with red, they come out easier than the ones bedded with the green sleeve retainer.  

All that to say that it's usually not a problem to have gas leakage at the block and if everything is functioning fine the only reason to mess with it is if your OCD forces you to.