Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is a hot load ok?

jimbullet

Just wanted to get your opinions. Im running 180gr, 40 S&W averaging at 1,027 fps to 1,030 fps. Is this too hot out of a standard 5 inch STI 2011 pistol or should it be fine?

Its accurate in this setting so thinking to keep it at this level but not sure if this is ok.

The velocity is fine if that's what concerns you. There is published data for longshot pushing a 180g bullet 1159fps at max load. It's more about pressure. What powder and what OAL. If you don't see pressure signs like Bulged cases flat primers I don't see why you would have any issues. Are you loading for limited?  The PF seems a bit high but if it runs accurate and you like the recoil impulse, run it.

2 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

Like stated, depends on the pressure. Plus, if your running too light of a recoil spring, it could be pounding your frame too hard.

I have read the pressure should not exceed 33,500 psi - but I am no scientist to ever know if Im exceeding that. My OAL is no longer in the reloading book - as we all 2011 shooters load long anyways.  I run 13 lb recoil spring with shok buffs

Edited by jimbullet

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Why not just google hodgdon load data and see if your load is ok? 

I did, and max says 984 fps using xtp 180gr projectiles but that's for a OAL 1.124. Loading longer would alter psi and there is no info from there.

That’s funny, my Hodgdon manual shows 5.0g 231 XTP at 1.125= 947 fps @ 32900 psi. If your longer by .040 you shouldn’t have a problem if your at that grn loading. Hornady psi seems to run higher than many others, I’m thinking because of jacket material. 

You are at 185 ish power factor. I would reduce to 170ish Power factor.

Your shoulder,back,rist. will thank you later on. Your gun will thank you.
Your wallet will thank you.

On 3/29/2022 at 3:27 AM, AHI said:

You are at 185 ish power factor. I would reduce to 170ish Power factor.

Your shoulder,back,rist. will thank you later on. Your gun will thank you.
Your wallet will thank you.

I kinda still have 500 rounds of these and it would be pain to use the bullet puller for all 500. So Im thinking to just shoot it since its been really accurate. In saying that, I dont want to blow up the pistol...

Doubt you will blow up your gun. You are probably at or above max pressure for 231 thow. Also doubt you'll be able to feel the difference in power factor.

When you lower it. Especially on the clock so to speak.

Edited by AHI