Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone had their 9mm Tanfo rechambered to super?

gnappi

The parts are hit and miss availability. I would send off to Patriot Defense to have chamber reamed deeper. They will know if you need other work.

Edited by Endall
Ommision

Try 

http://www.jandlgunsmithing.com/

(757) 567-5993

Jim Jones works all the Tanfo's around here (and there are a lot of them in this area).  I know that EAA used to use him for some of their work (they may still, I don't know).   He also works them for some very high level and well known USPSA shooters.

You can also reach him through their Facebook page.

Modifying the 9mm barrel may be easier than buying a 38Super. I have ordered from EAA twice recently. They do respond to parts orders. Have not had any luck with checking stock. They are tight lipped in regard to stock on hand. 

For some reason the lead time for responding to orders is also long. Both times I have waited a week or so after first order and ordered it again. In a couple days get a notification of duplicate order deleted and then an invoice for parts in stock and the quantity they are limited to per order. Then wait for the shipping of order.

Have heard slides and barrels are out of stock. But with all the options of caliber, barrel type, and length that may be incorrect.

Or do it properly and ream the chamber to 9x23. The base width of a 9mm at the start of the extractor groove is more than that on a 38SC.

Therefore you would have expanded cases if using 38SC in a 9mm barrel reamed to 38SC. The SAAMI dimensions are 0.3913 vs 0.3887"

On 3/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, jim vaughan said:

Or do it properly and ream the chamber to 9x23. The base width of a 9mm at the start of the extractor groove is more than that on a 38SC.

Therefore you would have expanded cases if using 38SC in a 9mm barrel reamed to 38SC. The SAAMI dimensions are 0.3913 vs 0.3887"

I would except I'm heavily invested in other super pistols, as well super brass and with brass scarce I'm better off staying the course with super.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:51 AM, kneelingatlas said:

I agree Jim Jones is your guy, with a 9mm slide and 38 chamber you'll need to shoot 38SC only, regular 38 super with jam on the breech face.

Another idea..  I have a LOT of super brass, and a mini lathe is inexpensive enough (about the price of 2k SC brass if it were available)  I could easily turn the rims down the .020" or so easily.  Food for thought 🙂 

Well. Don't. But if you must @PatriotDefense is your people. Joe at www.patriotdefense.com will set you up. They even carry additional barrels so you dont have to rechamber a good 9 barrel. As someone who has had and played with and owned nearly every tanfo model and multiples of each, the only gun i would run in 38s would be Gold Team v12 barrel. You're better off.. trust me. I know. Buying the heavy 9mm barrel their 3 chamber Lone Star comp with no popples. Was there best fastest, softest, shooting tanfo open gun I've run. Dominas are NOT worth it. You can build a PD Open tanfo for 1/2 price and it's better. Also stroking any EAA tanfo cures ejection problems...hmm wonder how ifg and Tanfo learned that one....lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I called Patriot and they said they do NOT have barrels in .38 super and they do not do re-chamber work.

J&L OTOH will re-chamber my barrel and we're working out the details.

Thanks all

PS, I no longer have use for a 9mm barrel and buying a new slide would be impractical. 

• 2 months later...

Yes as long as it's correct barrel to slide. Bull to bull, skinny to skinny, or slide swapp.

8 hours ago, KatoomDownUnder said:

Just out of curiosity, is it just a matter of a barrel swap if I wanted to go from 38 Super to 9mm in a small frame Tanfo?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 1:25 AM, KatoomDownUnder said:

Just out of curiosity, is it just a matter of a barrel swap if I wanted to go from 38 Super to 9mm in a small frame Tanfo?

small frame is gonna be a problem with mag length.