Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Mods - what’s too far? (CO)

I recently saw OT Defense has a jig to modify a Glock to have a similar presentation to a 1911. Looking at CO Rules, it would seem this would be allowed, but curious if anyone has any specific experience with this, or knowledge of a ruling I can’t find?

I shoot NRA Action Pistol, and recently started shooting USPSA with a double stack 1911. I’ll eventually play in Open because, why not, it’s a game. I have a Glock 34 that’s built for racing, but if I can’t correct the grip angle without issue, I’ll grab a P320 Max or X5 Legion and be done with it. 

thanks! 

Good question. I'd think it is rather grey. 

Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed.

I say that because I have had RMs (and RMI even) argue that the "but not limited to" type language in the rulebook in other areas does not mean what it actually says and that if it's not specifically in the book then it doesn't apply.  

21.4  Grips

Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed.  [...]

22.  Specifically prohibited modifications and features

Please note that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation that specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division.  A modification is only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation that specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division. [...]

22.2  Grips

Non-OFM grip modifications (addition or removal of material) that provide function, such as a beavertail or thumb rest are prohibited.

Special conditions:

5.  UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published  NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

Based on the above, and especially Special conditions #5, I somewhat doubt modifying a Glock grip to the radical extent you suggest (i.e., to approximate the angle on the 1911) would qualify under what is described in 21.4.  What you are suggesting is more than a little bit beyond what is described. 

22. outlines prohibited modifications ... Just because something is not listed as prohibited does not mean it's permitted.

22.2 could be argued to include your proposed modification as something that provides a function ...

Special condition 5 makes it clear that unless the modification is specifically authorized somewhere then it is considered a prohibited modification.

I don't think this is all that grey ... I don't think the rules allow what you want to do.

I'd allow it, but I have no authority, so don't go to the Nationals based on me allowing it 😂😂

But I do think the "but not limited  part" of the rules would allow it. My advice would be to email dnroi and get a solid ruling on it

Edited by RJH

The word from Troy…

Question: 

Would it be legal in Production or CO to modify the grip angle of a Glock by cutting/sanding the backstrap?

…there is a jig that allows one to cut the hump from the backstrap of a Glock and mold/reform the cut piece to then be stippled or glued back into place. I cannot find a ruling on a modification of this degree.

Answer:

Yes. See D4, 21.4. You can’t make a mag well or beaver tail.