Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commander conventional vs variable recoil spring

Chrisyoung

I'm looking for replacement 10 lb recoil springs for my commander it currently has a 10 lb conventional spring in it from the builder so I know there made but all I can find online for a 10 lb spring is the wolff variable.

All that to ask is there much if any difference between the 10 lb conventional I have I the gun now and the wolff 10 lb variable?

Thanks!

I use variable springs in all my 1911 and 2011 guns. A variable spring, at full compression, will have the same rate as a regular spring. Whereas a regular spring has the same rate throughout it's travel, a variable spring starts off with less compression rate, and builds up to it's max at full compression. That means a slide will unlock easier, when the rate is say 7lbs, but when it fully compresses, its at 10 lbs. And vice versa. Starts closing at the full rate, but gets less at full expansion. 

The idea is supposedly a softer recoil impulse felt. They work better with lower powered loads like we shoot. The gun will work with either spring type. And you may, or may not feel the difference.

Edited by Postal Bob

15 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:

I use variable springs in all my 1911 and 2011 guns. A variable spring, at full compression, will have the same rate as a regular spring. Whereas a regular spring has the same rate throughout it's travel, a variable spring starts off with less compression rate, and builds up to it's max at full compression. That means a slide will unlock easier, when the rate is say 7lbs, but when it fully compresses, its at 10 lbs. And vice versa. Starts closing at the full rate, but gets less at full expansion. 

The idea is supposedly a softer recoil impulse felt. They work better with lower powered loads like we shoot. The gun will work with either spring type. And you may, or may not feel the difference.

Thanks Bob!!