Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DC Mini Rollsizer issues…

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2022 at 8:55 AM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I spoke with Kevin on the phone last night. The issues with the dies/disks is not due to bad/weak steel but the way he explained it to me is that the offset between the gearbox and the base of the rollsizer causes extra pressure on the disk and the brass causing it to wear that grove in. He said it was not a problem with the steel and the disks are in spec. This is exactly what was copied above. I don’t have an email to copy like above however. 

He also said the groove in the brass is normal, and it often happens with excessively buldged brass which mimics the the extra pressure being applied to every piece of brass with the offset base causing the groove on every piece of brass we are seeing on some of our machines. He said there should be no problem to use the brass. 

Hope that helps alleviate at least some concerns

A good portion of my life (20 years) was spent as a journeyman die maker both building and repairing dies, and I support those with the opinion that the steel is too soft, regardless of what Kevin says. A properly hardened steel would not wear like that from brass until you reached numbers in the millions, not a few hundred or thousands. If the gear box was putting too much pressure on the rollers, any manifestation of stress would appear on the brass, not the rollers. I doubt those parts will Rockwell out above 40 or 45 on the "C" scale and should be closer to 60.

On 3/8/2022 at 5:28 PM, 67isb said:

Any chance some of the 9mm brass was X-Treme?  I have magnet on the drop tube to catch all brass plated steel cases 9mm cases.

Would you mind posting a picture of your magnet set up. Sounds like a worthwhile addition for my case feeders.

Thanks.

I bought some magnets from Amazon and installed two of them on my casefeeder. They’re attached to the metal clip where the plastic tube snaps into.

C9020-F21-D431-4026-B2-D5-C0-D4-FBA7295-

Heres a link to the Amazon magnets:

https://www.amazon.com/LOVIMAG-Neodymium-Countersunk-Adhensive-Refrigerator/dp/B08YYNFQ41/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2YUGTNWLG97NV&keywords=Magnet&qid=1651115237&sprefix=magnet%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-15&th=1

Edited by George16
Spelling

• 4 weeks later...

MassFlyer - I am experiencing the exact same issue after a few thousand cases.  Brass and toolhead look just like what you have displayed here and I see the same wear pattern on the machine housing.  I am also getting a distinct ridge forming above the rim which looks like the brass is being pushed down and pinched.  The deformity is getting worse the more cases I run.  My cases are visibly deformed just like your pictures.   I have sent pictures and contacted Rollsizer and have received one response to check the shaft ring on the bottom of the unit.  It is in place and looks fine and I have not received another response since sending that information last week.

I have rolled only brass cases not chromed or steel and also wet tumble the brass.  I also had a large buildup of brass on the base plate and visible signs of wear on the brass face where the brass was being worn off.

I have also contacted DoubleAlpha requesting a full refund for this unit.  This is very frustrating and I had high hopes for this unit as it did work in the beginning.

I have the 9mm, 223 and 45 dies for mine.

Over 100,000 9mm through it so far and I can't find any divots or signs of wear.

From the beginning the 9mm and 223 bevel the case just above the extractor groove. On the 45 there is no noticeable bevel which my guess is because the case is straight. I assumed this is how it was designed or intended.

Using the 9mm for major and have yet to see a problem in my Czechmate.

Quick Update - DA issued an RMA for the unit and indicated they were getting several calls from customers experiencing the same issue.   One of the observations I sent Kevin when I first purchased the unit was the lateral side to side movement of the shaft in the baring.  He said that was normal based on how bulged the cases were.  I am now wondering that the brass deformity was caused by this side to side movement which included the tool head to be at a slight angle pushing and forming the brass  causing the ridge I was getting to form above the rim.  This is only a theory at this point.

• 1 month later...

Here is my update:

Kevin contacted me about sending my unit back to check the gearbox. 2.5 weeks later I received my unit back and I ran it with the crank handle only and after 5k of 9mm brass I had the same result as before. I also ran 5k of 40sw and the 40sw die looked exactly as then 9mm did, with a rim on the die and mandrel. I sent Kevin another email stating what I did and the results and asking him for guidance. He sent me a RMA for my unit and extra 40sw die. 2.5 weeks later I received everything back but now the mandrel and dies are nitrided. 
I’ve run 15k on 9mm brass and 5k of 40sw brass and the mandrel and dies look exactly like they should. No Wear! It’s been a very long haul but my rollsizer works as it should. 🎅

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for this thread.

I've been rollsizing 9mm only so far.  After reading thru this, I disassembled

my unit and sure enough the disc is showing wear.  Just emailed Kevin and

I will report back once it is sorted.

On 7/24/2022 at 12:20 PM, md8232 said:

Thanks everyone for this thread.

I've been rollsizing 9mm only so far.  After reading thru this, I disassembled

my unit and sure enough the disc is showing wear.  Just emailed Kevin and

I will report back once it is sorted.

Kevin and crew are top notch, they’ll issue an RMA to A3GMunitions in Georgia, cost me $10 to ship, was returned to me in three days, nitrided die and base will resolve the wear issue. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just recently bought a manual Rollsizer. Took a chance and figured the issue would have been resolved by now. Apparently not. I did a 1000 cases doing the manual crank and my dies look exactly like the photos in the first post and I'm getting a pronounced bulge at the case/rim junction. Probably a few out there with the issue still. I checked the hardness of both the die and the body and they are at Rc-27.5 to 28.0. Seem kinda soft for what they are trying to accomplish. I contacted Rollsizer with the requested information in their previous post. We'll see :) .

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2022 at 11:56 AM, deanq said:

I just recently bought a manual Rollsizer. Took a chance and figured the issue would have been resolved by now. Apparently not. I did a 1000 cases doing the manual crank and my dies look exactly like the photos in the first post and I'm getting a pronounced bulge at the case/rim junction. Probably a few out there with the issue still. I checked the hardness of both the die and the body and they are at Rc-27.5 to 28.0. Seem kinda soft for what they are trying to accomplish. I contacted Rollsizer with the requested information in their previous post. We'll see :) .

Update-I promptly received a replacement die & body, both of which were nitrided. I've been using it now for several months, and there is no wear noted on either part. My problem with the 9mm sizer is fixed. Great response from Rollsizer (Kevin). YMMV