Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DC Mini Rollsizer issues…

Recently purchased the DC Mini Rollsizer for 9mm and 45acp sizing duties. Sizer worked great for the first 300 - 400 rounds, but then I noticed a ‘wear groove’ in both die and the outer die or mandrel… As a result, this wear mark transfers to the cases just above the rim / web….

Anyone else have this problem? I’m using wet tumbled brass from Everglades Ammo…

Thanks for your thoughts…

Brad

B7630DD6-DF14-40F2-86A4-357BA9333D48.jpeg

Mine looks just like that and it’s less than a week old. Steel cases are caught in the casefeeder drop tube so this shouldn’t be a factor.  

Edited by N7VY

Mine looks exactly the same and so does another local shooter who bought one before me who I consulted about it. Supposedly it’s normal? Mine is less than a month old and saw the groove in the first day or two. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in also. I haven’t started loading my rollsized brass yet but my friend has and says he’s had no problems. 

Strictly brass only, no steel… Bought it from Double Alpha, which was great, but was told it wasn’t heat treated properly. Second die did the same thing within a few hundred cases…

Very disappointed and sent it back for a full refund…

88DDAF85-03FC-4A7D-A361-4CFB02839BE6.jpeg

4 hours ago, Massflyer said:

Strictly brass only, no steel… Bought it from Double Alpha, which was great, but was told it wasn’t heat treated properly. Second die did the same thing within a few hundred cases…

Very disappointed and sent it back for a full refund…

That is too bad.  They probably got a bad batch and/or quality control issues.  I would have sent it back for a a replacement unit.  I'm sure they would have made it right.

I've not had any issues with my commercial rollsizer (dies or unit)

14 hours ago, 67isb said:

That is too bad.  They probably got a bad batch and/or quality control issues.  I would have sent it back for a a replacement unit.  I'm sure they would have made it right.

I've not had any issues with my commercial rollsizer (dies or unit)

I did send the unit back and DAA was quick to refund my purchase… I may opt for the commercial unit in the future. 

On 3/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, N7VY said:

I bought my unit direct from rollsizer.com. I’ve emailed them but I don’t expect a reply till Monday. 

I emailed him on Thursday, still haven’t heard back yet sadly. My brass and fired brass look the same as yours. I’m hoping it won’t cause a problem with brass life or brass integrity because IV ran a crap ton through mine in the 3 months IV had it. Almost all my brass actually….

It’s disheartening to see others with the exact problem as mine. Maybe there has a batch that wasn’t hardened correctly. Time will tell. I’m frustrated that I can’t continue to process my brass. Oh well, patience grasshopper 🤓.

From Kevin Whitehead, Rollsizer.com.

We have been slow to respond to a number of emails due to international border travel restrictions (returning back to Australia after shot show).........yeah free country.

I have already contacted (or attempted to contact)  a number of you directly where we have been given contact details. 

The manual and DC rollsizers work differently to the commercial machine and will always cause a slight dimple / depression in the case. The dimple in the case is a function of the sizing and getting the case concentric to the rim. This is explained in the operation and maintenance manual. 

That said, the problems raised above are not normal and are forcing the cases to be sized smaller than would normally be done and this is leading to problems in the base / discs.

The issues are not related to the steel or hardness, the problem is related / caused by a gearbox manufacture QA control issue on a batch of gearboxes and this took a while for us to identify as it a very complex issue (and the travelling restrictions don't help either). The mounting ring on the gearbox appears to be offset to the shaft and this is / was unusual and took us a while to identify. 

We need to replace the machined base and this will remove the wear marks in the discs and base. To do this we will need the rollsizer sent to our tech guy in the USA (or Australia) so we can arrange for this to get this done.

Please contact us directly at info@rollsizer.com with the following details.

1. Date of purchase, 2. Who you purchased this from, 3. List of calibre conversions, 4. Full contact name, address and phone number, 5 Photographs of the base and disc wear.

With this we can / will contact you to work out a plan to fix these.

Yours sincerely

Kevin Whitehead

Rollsizer.com

7 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Ok on the fix.  But I'd still be concerned with how soft those dies are.

I spoke with Kevin on the phone last night. The issues with the dies/disks is not due to bad/weak steel but the way he explained it to me is that the offset between the gearbox and the base of the rollsizer causes extra pressure on the disk and the brass causing it to wear that grove in. He said it was not a problem with the steel and the disks are in spec. This is exactly what was copied above. I don’t have an email to copy like above however. 

He also said the groove in the brass is normal, and it often happens with excessively buldged brass which mimics the the extra pressure being applied to every piece of brass with the offset base causing the groove on every piece of brass we are seeing on some of our machines. He said there should be no problem to use the brass. 

Hope that helps alleviate at least some concerns

I have no reason to doubt KW's response re: the defective parts.   However, the point on the dies is that if they're damaged from simply rolling a small quantity of brass cases in a slightly offset manner, they must be pretty soft.  So, if a case somehow gets jammed between the dies, or a piece of debris gets between the case and dies, both of which are not uncommon occurrences with these machines, that could cause gouges or marks on the surface of dies.  They really should be hard enough for that not to happen.

39 minutes ago, N7VY said:

Has anyone heard from rollsizer.com or Kevin? I’ve sent 3 emails over the last 4 days and no response. 

Nope, not I.  Patiently waiting.  And I am not good at that.

Mike