Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas prices and matches

I moved to west Texas and other than my local, most matches are 3 hours one way.
As far as time I don’t mind driving, but with gas at 4.09 driving 450 miles in a Tacoma is pretty expensive. Thats without ammo/food/entry which all adds up to almost 200$ for one local…yea I’d rather go practice and save my money for a major match. 

On 3/10/2022 at 4:02 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

At times like this I wish I was a pcc shooter. So much less to give up. 

You still can be a PCC shooter!  Can you please elaborate on "less to give up"?

17 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Maybe he means PCC's are way cheaper than pistol divisions. 

The correlation of cheap PCC is like shooting a cheap open gun.  They may work, but are they 100% reliable?  I wouldn't go to Nationals with a cheap PCC over my $3000 MPX (including aftermarket parts and optic) with the intentions of winning.

22 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

The correlation of cheap PCC is like shooting a cheap open gun.  They may work, but are they 100% reliable?  I wouldn't go to Nationals with a cheap PCC over my $3000 MPX (including aftermarket parts and optic) with the intentions of winning.

It wasn't really meant as a dig on the division, but as you mentioned open a open gun which can easily cost double your MPX. Even a CO gun can cost close to what your MPX does. And you can certainly setup decent a PCC for less than 3k. 

My PCC cost less than my CO gun did. My mags cost similar but I need less of them. No holster, most of the time no belt, one mag pouch. Runs any primer I can find. Lighter bullets cost less. So yeah it's a cheaper division. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

My shooting and carpool buddy just bailed on this weekends match to spend Saturday "being a good dad with his kids."  (lol he's a good dad) But, that means I have to consider driving 188 miles by myself with non one else to share the pain at the pump.  I'm still going but I'll be driving my wife's "clown car" instead of my lifted truck.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Maybe he means PCC's are way cheaper than pistol divisions. 

If it were me, I'd mean that shooting pcc is stupid, and it wouldn't bother me to give it up, lol.

I drive 9 miles each way to 2 matches a month, and about 30 to another one, and almost always carpool (with mrs moto). For sure, if I were driving 2 hrs each way, by myself, in my big truck, gas prices would make a difference, but I was too cheap to do that even when gas was under $3. I always either took a little car, or carpooled, or both.

On 3/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, Racinready300ex said:

My PCC cost less than my CO gun did. My mags cost similar but I need less of them. No holster, most of the time no belt, one mag pouch. Runs any primer I can find. Lighter bullets cost less. So yeah it's a cheaper division. 

mrs moto's pcc (custom build by Hawktech arms, under $1500) has literally never malfunctioned unless we shoot it for 6 months straight without taking apart the bolt so the extractor freezes up. I don't know what people do to make their pcc's not run. I suspect it's mostly issues with mag extensions, but I dunno.

33 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

mrs moto's pcc (custom build by Hawktech arms, under $1500) has literally never malfunctioned unless we shoot it for 6 months straight without taking apart the bolt so the extractor freezes up. I don't know what people do to make their pcc's not run. I suspect it's mostly issues with mag extensions, but I dunno.

Same here.  I don't get it.  My first pcc was a Rock River Arms that probably cost me less than a grand.  Once I got it set up, it was 100% reliable.  

Went to a Level 1 match yesterday Friday Mar 18. Its 170 miles from my house about 80% of which is on an interstate highway.

The traffic the interstate did not look like gas was keeping anybody home. Worst traffic in months. I admit that most of those travelers (maybe all) were not going to pistol matches but many outside the only major city on the route were voluntarily traveling for non-work reasons. Air fares are up also but airports are so crowded that you can't get a parking place in the lot.

I don't think fuel prices will have an impact on match attendance. Primer prices or availability might though.

3 hours ago, Brooke said:

I don't think fuel prices will have an impact on match attendance. Primer prices or availability might though.

We should be able to tell by head count sooner than later, although Covid sort of muddies the water. Locally we had problems with too many shooters pre covid and too few post covid, it is hard to know what baseline attendance actually is. 

Ohio state match is always about maxed out by now with nearly 350 shooters. I think we have 225 or so today and they are trickling in slowly so we are sure it will not be a typical year.

6 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

We should be able to tell by head count sooner than later, although Covid sort of muddies the water. Locally we had problems with too many shooters pre covid and too few post covid, it is hard to know what baseline attendance actually is. 

agree that there are many other things going on. In my state all the shooters totally ignored covid, and if the weather was decent we had large fields for matches. we've also had a significant number of shooters move here from places that suck in the last couple years, which boosts our numbers a bit.

but I would NEVER have driven 170 miles for a local match. I'm probably spoiled that i have 7 or so USPSA matches a month within 120 miles (4 within 40 miles, 2 within 9 miles).

Furthest match I go to is 120 miles. If I go buy myself I take my gas millage car for around $28. If I bring the son  and grandson it means the Suburban or around $60. Not really a deal breaker for me at this point.

Thus far, fuel cost is staying in the background as an overhead expense, not affecting my match attendance.

My regular shoots are 21, 58, 85, 93 and 135 miles away.

The 58 is a weekly, the rest are monthly and I hope to get to two a month.  I would go to more, but they conflict.   

1 minute ago, CHARLES D said:

I was planning on going on vacation next month and hitting two local matches while out of state. Due to gas prices in that state I can’t see spending the extra money. Vacation canceled 

I, on the other hand, I plan to visit Arizona and shoot a couple of matches.  Depending on specific travel days, etc, it could be Kingman, Havasu, Yuma, Rio Salado, PRGC, Cactus Combat, or Cowtown.  And someday I want to hit the Tucson matches too.  

Gas prices hurt (pretty bad) especially when towing, but ...