Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas prices and matches

Yes. Not entirely limited to gas though, the rising cost of every damned thing imaginable with no end in sight is making me and the shooters I've talked to think hard about where we cut back. 

For what it is worth, a poll might be interesting. 

I ride by myself and most of the matches are at least two hours away, so 50 to 60 $ in gas match fee 20$ means 70 bucks for one match plus ammo which I reload, at the end of the day I’ve spent close to 100$ on one match. Yes it cuts way down.

Good afternoon Guys.

I live up here in the great white north, Canada for those of you who forgot.

If you do the math, for 1 of your US Gallons i will pay $7.64 that's with out the conversion.

I just filled my tank yesterday it cost me $220.00 OMG, Covid screwed us all now this, I'm staying home forever.

Our Gallon costs $9.17. for Mid Grade

Russell

😭

We had our first local match of the year last weekend. One guy I shoot with regularly who shoots every match he can decided not to shoot this match because it was about 100 miles from his house and said he would spend too much on gas for it to be worth it. Last year he shot this match almost every month and lived just as far away. So yes, I do see the price increases affecting participation. Just as we were getting over the “absolutely no ammo to be found anywhere” problems… 

On 3/7/2022 at 5:16 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Yes. Not entirely limited to gas though, the rising cost of every damned thing imaginable with no end in sight is making me and the shooters I've talked to think hard about where we cut back. 

Yup. Just watching my grocery expenses skyrocket is hurting my desire to do fun things. Add the increased cost of said fun things and I'm thinking 2022 is gonna be a slow year for match turnout.

even before the virus i stopped going to certain matches that were 100 miles one way from home.   just not worth it to me  .  now that gas is almost $5 in my area , and the lack of primers, i am thinking of skipping this season and finding another hobby.    

i have not seen the numbers drop at matches even with the cost of ammo and gas.  in fact they are seem to keep going up .   getting a hundred shooter is pretty common now at the local matches 

Edited by Sandbagger123

Covid, ammo/reloading supply shortage, and now $6+ fuel I have a feeling my local USPSA club(45 miles away) that was not doing well is dead. Next club near me is 180 miles, no one in my home town gun club is interested in USPSA so IDPA and rimfire at my home range is going to be about it. 

hmm. so a 25% increase in gas means $375 instead of $300 to drag my camp trailer to a major match we signed up for in eastern washington. thats not really enough to move the expense meter when traveling with 2 people and dogs.

the fact that its a bigger deal for most folks is good news for me. should make nationals easier to get into, and put some downward pressure on rental car prices, and make it easier to find campsites in the mountains this summer.

7 hours ago, motosapiens said:

hmm. so a 25% increase in gas means $375 instead of $300 to drag my camp trailer to a major match we signed up for in eastern washington. thats not really enough to move the expense meter when traveling with 2 people and dogs.

the fact that its a bigger deal for most folks is good news for me. should make nationals easier to get into, and put some downward pressure on rental car prices, and make it easier to find campsites in the mountains this summer.

25% ??? I'm thinking it is headed to 250% by late spring/summer.

Agree that those who have lots of disposable income will see some advantages. 

https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts

15 hours ago, jubi351 said:

What distance and how did it compare to last year?

Distances are about the same.  200+ miles each way for every match.  Brooklyn MI, Rhinelander WI, Havana IL, Rolla MO, etc.  And it's not just gas that's up.  It's everything.  Food, lodging, ammo, etc.

Oh I agree. Last year I spent about $360 to attend KY Section which is about 750 mile roundtrip. That is almost $500 now which isn't terrible but my daughter is starting college so less disposable income...

I'm lucky enough to have a job that allows some remote work. My commuting gas just became match gas.

A tank in the SUV still lasts two months.

Our average monthly vehicle costs were:
2019 - $221/mo

2020 - $358/mo, some big repairs hit this year

2021 - $280/mo

2022 - $160/mo so far, but one car will probably need new tires this year

Edited by belus

Yes. I normally shoot 4-5  local matches a month, each one is a 90 minute drive. It was hard enough with just ammo going up, but now I will be a lot more reserved.

This is my first year getting into any major matches and I plan to budget for those, but seeing what things look like in a few months I may have to drop out of Area 8 in August