Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred buffer/spring setup

That would be different for the particular PCC you are going to build.  Gas Piston, Blowback, Radial Delay, Lower, Upper, Bolt, Brand, etc.  And even with those choices made, there are different choices with springs and buffers that different people are happy with.

Most commonly recommended setup is Blitzkrieg Hydraulic 9mm Buffer Standard with the short stroke buffer spacer and 308 carbine spring. I recently switched to the MBX Air buffer and found it a little bit softer. It sticks a bit when you first pull the charging handle if it's been sitting for a while, but it's been a non-issue otherwise.

A5 tube lengthens the stroke and felt recoil is reduced.  Terrific for steel challenge.  Not so good for anything you have to double tap.  For double taps you have to short stroke as much as you can and still get 100% ejection.

Short stroking with an A5 gives you slightly more tuning options.  I'm currently running what WxGuy runs with the addition of the Blitz short stroke slug and .6" of nylon spacers behind the spring.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna preface this with two things: I'm the absolute worst (I'll explain) and this is kinda of a loaded question.

So I say I'm the worst because I can't leave anything along no matter how well it runs. I've run and tried many configurations on both my AR9s and I'll explain in a second.

I say this is a loaded question primarily because your barrel length and power factor will affect how your gun feels with each set.

I have two PCCs that I run, one is a 10.5" with brekke compXtension (16"oal) and the other was a 16" JP barrel with a venom defense comp but I got it chopped and had Brekke install his Euro Comp so it's basically a 13" barrel now.

The 10.5" barrel I was running with the 5020SS and a 308 carbine spring with 146pf ammo, a bit hot but the gun ran flat and was quick. Max Leograndis designed this upper with Brekke and Max recommended 130pf ammo so I dropped my load down and it softened up the gun but I felt like it was bit slower (like I'll ever be able to outrun it) so currently I have 130pf 115gr with a Sprinco Red extra power AR15 spring and while I can hear the spring more, I feel like the dot barely moves compared to my initial set up. Also, I don't have the bolt weight installed.

Keep in mind, If you run the 5020SS buffer, you need an A5 tube because of the length of it for reliable trigger reset otherwise you need a modified bolt. I

My original 16" setup I ran the blitzkrieg 5015HD with a 308 carbine spring and the 2.6oz weight and the gun was a sewing machine - but again I decided to change it because I'm the worst and currently with the 130pf ammo its sluggish so I pulled the weight and it's better.

If you decide to go the Kynshot/Blitzkrieg route I highly recommend starting with a either the 5015HD + 2.6oz weight and a 308 carbine spring OR the 5020ss and a 308 carbine spring (in an A5 buffer) and also pick up some extra buffer springs (308 rifle, 223 extra power, etc) and maybe even some spacers and hit the range to tune it to your liking.

I've also heard good things about the Scheel roller delay system from a few friends that have used it and have been considering it for a third build or replacement on one lower - because again, I can't leave anything alone. You think as a automotive technician I'd follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra...

On 5/1/2022 at 6:24 PM, mellino19 said:

I'm gonna preface this with two things: I'm the absolute worst (I'll explain) and this is kinda of a loaded question.

So I say I'm the worst because I can't leave anything along no matter how well it runs. I've run and tried many configurations on both my AR9s and I'll explain in a second.

I say this is a loaded question primarily because your barrel length and power factor will affect how your gun feels with each set.

I have two PCCs that I run, one is a 10.5" with brekke compXtension (16"oal) and the other was a 16" JP barrel with a venom defense comp but I got it chopped and had Brekke install his Euro Comp so it's basically a 13" barrel now.

The 10.5" barrel I was running with the 5020SS and a 308 carbine spring with 146pf ammo, a bit hot but the gun ran flat and was quick. Max Leograndis designed this upper with Brekke and Max recommended 130pf ammo so I dropped my load down and it softened up the gun but I felt like it was bit slower (like I'll ever be able to outrun it) so currently I have 130pf 115gr with a Sprinco Red extra power AR15 spring and while I can hear the spring more, I feel like the dot barely moves compared to my initial set up. Also, I don't have the bolt weight installed.

Keep in mind, If you run the 5020SS buffer, you need an A5 tube because of the length of it for reliable trigger reset otherwise you need a modified bolt. I

My original 16" setup I ran the blitzkrieg 5015HD with a 308 carbine spring and the 2.6oz weight and the gun was a sewing machine - but again I decided to change it because I'm the worst and currently with the 130pf ammo its sluggish so I pulled the weight and it's better.

If you decide to go the Kynshot/Blitzkrieg route I highly recommend starting with a either the 5015HD + 2.6oz weight and a 308 carbine spring OR the 5020ss and a 308 carbine spring (in an A5 buffer) and also pick up some extra buffer springs (308 rifle, 223 extra power, etc) and maybe even some spacers and hit the range to tune it to your liking.

I've also heard good things about the Scheel roller delay system from a few friends that have used it and have been considering it for a third build or replacement on one lower - because again, I can't leave anything alone. You think as a automotive technician I'd follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra...

My gun is stock.  It runs great! 

6 hours ago, jnr88 said:

Same here. Everyone throwing money on everything but practice.

Agree but a nicely set up AR 9mm helps to shoot flat at full speed…. I could never manage 2A at 20 yards really at full speed until I did some basic things (Blits, weight, 308 spring, right comp, right grip etc.)

On 3/12/2022 at 2:26 PM, Texaspaul said:

So WxGuy, why did you select the A5, Blitz and 308? What is the performance of this combo that you like so much? What ammo you using?

It is the recommended rear setup from Aaron Brekke.  I run his 10.5/6" comp combo too.  Flat shooting and little to no dot movement.  I run softened 115s (130PF) and 147s at 133 PF.  It just works and feels right to me.  Holosun 510C on top with a Stern SD BU9 Echo bolt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 6:34 AM, WxGuy said:

It is the recommended rear setup from Aaron Brekke.  I run his 10.5/6" comp combo too.  Flat shooting and little to no dot movement.  I run softened 115s (130PF) and 147s at 133 PF.  It just works and feels right to me.  Holosun 510C on top with a Stern SD BU9 Echo bolt.

With a A5 rifle tube, Blitz 5006 buffer, JP .308 rifle spring?

• 2 months later...