Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another .223 question about head space

midatlantic

New to reloading .223, but have so far reloaded and fired about 500 rounds. Using range brass, which measure appox 1.746 to 1.754

Chamber check each. All worked fine.

However, today I realized that apparently all the cases I'm now reloading - and I think all prior cases - fall below the minimum head space groove, or step, when dropped in the case gauge.

I presume that has been the case, no pun intended, for all the prior rounds I've reloaded and successfully shot with no problems.

Here are photos of three cases in the gauge, each a bit too short according to the head space gauge. Each measure 1.752-4 with the calipers.

I have read that .223 will work with short cases, as I have discovered. But if they do, indeed they do, do I need to care if cases below minimum headspace according to the gauge? (as long as the case length is ok?) 

1TS0 - 3 (2).jpeg

1TS0 - 2 (2).jpeg

1TS0 - 1 (2).jpeg

Edited by midatlantic

I don't see a problem.

You are measuring case length not head space. (1.1752- 4)

Is you drop gauge for a semi auto or bolt gun? Do you know the difference?

Does it really matter? Those are the questions you should ask yourself.

Edited by AHI

Even in a bolt gun or an SS pistol I usually give .003 for clearance. If you had a huge chamber and continually sized under your brass life would definitely be shortened with head separation. 

On 3/4/2022 at 5:15 PM, midatlantic said:

each a bit too short according to the head space gauge

The way you are looking at the gauge is not measuring the length, it's measuring from shoulder (where the brass tapers to the neck) to the base of the brass. Length is shown on the other side of the gauge where the neck sticks out. The shoulder will effect this if it is too long. If you get a chance to read rifle loader forums they will talk about "bumping the shoulder." 

As the previous poster stated, slightly screw out your sizing die to make the base fit properly in the gauge. Dillon has a page describing how this is done.

Range brass in not an issue, except rifle case volume variance is more of an accuracy issue for long range shooting and anytime when loading at or over max.

Also if you trim, do it after resizing the brass.

Hope this helps.