Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chicago & USPSA

I may be temporarily relocating to Chicago, as in the city.

I’m aware of the draconian laws that are in place. I’m looking for information concerning living there and still wanting to compete a bit.

My PCC will have to stay at home. How does one deal with the mag capacity limits short of finding new mags? In NY state, a disassembled mag isn’t a mag that’s in violation of their laws. Same work in Chicago?

Conversing via PM might be the best.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Honestly, it's not really an issue as there is no action pistol in Chicago proper.
We all shoot hi-cap and PCC at the various matches around Chicagoland.

In fact, we are particularly fortunate to be able to shoot L1 USPSA every weekend starting this weekend and there are multiple places holding indoor USPSA-like practices.

Oak Park Sportsmans Club (IL)
Aurora Sportsmans Club (IL)

Schultz Gun & Rod Club (WI)
North Porter County Conservation Club (IN)

These are all outdoor USPSA (see Practiscore) L1 matches about .5 to 1.5 hours from city-center.
We are just sort of limited on 3-gun due to the space available at most of these clubs.  But even that is plentiful if you expand your tolerable driving radius.

I mean, we are not AZ, CO or Cali...but we have plenty matches to shoot...that's not even counting all the great sectionals available...

Best,
David

17 hours ago, tkheard said:

How does one deal with the mag capacity limits short of finding new mags?

Chicago has mag capacity restrictions? I've lived in IL all my life and wasn't aware of that. To be fair, the rest of IL doesn't claim Chicago as our own and generally wouldn't follow any of their laws even if we were aware of them.

Also, all my Chicago area acquaintances seem to have any mags they want and PCC's.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Thanks for the responses. I’ll look into the clubs in the area.

My concern is the silly mag capacity laws in the city. That’s where I’ll be living. Clearly, the suburban clubs don’t have those problems. 
Does anyone have any guidance regarding mags (or even an “evil” PCC) if one resides in the city? Any of the clubs have storage options for the unfortunate city dwellers?

5 hours ago, tkheard said:

Thanks for the responses. I’ll look into the clubs in the area.

My concern is the silly mag capacity laws in the city. That’s where I’ll be living. Clearly, the suburban clubs don’t have those problems. 
Does anyone have any guidance regarding mags (or even an “evil” PCC) if one resides in the city? Any of the clubs have storage options for the unfortunate city dwellers?

I was speaking as someone who lives in the city.
I shoot hi-cap weekly.
I shoot that PCC monthly.
I am not sure what your concern is.

At best, if the planets align and you got into a situation where CPD had knowledge of hi-cap mags and/or your PCC and actually care to do anything about it (and I don't know what that situation would be), then you would be getting a ticket.  It is a city/county ordinance.  
I did not want to get into the reading of the CCL State law revisions that have a blurb about no other municipal laws superseding, and all that b/c it has been covered a bunch in there very forums and the Inet at-large.  That CCL revision makes hi-cap and our PCCs legal in IL, etc.  But all that is a rabbit-hole that I wanted to avoid as it is mostly academic.

It will make more sense when you actually live here, get your FOID/CCL and roam about the place and realise you will be fine carrying on with your action pistol as you see fit.
Come see us at Eagle (Oak Forest) on Wednesday 5:30PM for action-pistol style indoor practice.  Good times will be had by all.  :)

Thanks. That’s helpful.

I won’t be an Illinois resident; I’ll still be an Alabamian. As I understand, I can’t get an FOID as a non-resident, but I can get an IL CCL. If that’s a “golden ticket”, that seems like the way to go.

Appreciate your time. I’ll check out Eagle when I get there.

I use USPSA as therapy, so going a year or so doesn’t seem like a good thing to me! Way cheaper than a therapist, too.

Unfortunately, Illinois has a confusing patchwork of firearms laws and regulations that vary by county and municipality.  Any jurisdiction that enacts regulations, ordinances, etc. that impose restrictions beyond state law is required to provide a copy to the Illinois State Police for publication on their web site.  Those can be found here.  However, I would caution you that compliance isn't strictly enforced, so the information contained there may not be current or complete.  

Edited by ltdmstr

• 2 weeks later...

Illinois is not like NY, I am not aware of anyone that has ever had any issues with anything.  You can bring your PCC if you want you will be fine.  You will have 0 issues with mag limits.  The city had to remove its firearm registration so there is no way for anyone to know what you actually own.   There is 0 enforcement of anything.  Chicago PD doesn't have radar unless you're driving on Lake Shore Drive so you will don't have to worry about speeding.

You do not need a FOID card as you are not an IL resident.  If you're traveling just have your gun unloaded in a case (glove box counts).  You can't

'technically' have a loaded gun in a car unless you have a carry permit.   I say technically because there is some stipulation in some clause that suggests you can.  IL doesn't recognize anyone else's carry permit.  

Depending on where you are in the city... I'd recommend North Porter County Conservation Club (Chesterton, IN) who shoots 1st Sunday of the month.  Oak Park Sportsman's Club in Plainfield, IL who shoots 2nd Sunday of the month.  If you're willing to drive (I'd recommend it) Northern Illinois Shooting Association (NISA) shoots 4th Sunday of the month at Schultz's rod and gun in Muskego, WI.  

Edited by mikeg1005

6 hours ago, mikeg1005 said:

Illinois is not like NY, I am not aware of anyone that has ever had any issues with anything.  You can bring your PCC if you want you will be fine.  You will have 0 issues with mag limits.  The city had to remove its firearm registration so there is no way for anyone to know what you actually own.   There is 0 enforcement of anything.  Chicago PD doesn't have radar unless you're driving on Lake Shore Drive so you will don't have to worry about speeding.

You do not need a FOID card as you are not an IL resident.  If you're traveling just have your gun unloaded in a case (glove box counts).  You can't

'technically' have a loaded gun in a car unless you have a carry permit.   I say technically because there is some stipulation in some clause that suggests you can.  IL doesn't recognize anyone else's carry permit.  

Depending on where you are in the city... I'd recommend North Porter County Conservation Club (Chesterton, IN) who shoots 1st Sunday of the month.  Oak Park Sportsman's Club in Plainfield, IL who shoots 2nd Sunday of the month.  If you're willing to drive (I'd recommend it) Northern Illinois Shooting Association (NISA) shoots 4th Sunday of the month at Schultz's rod and gun in Muskego, WI.  

This 👆excellent overview.

I will say that the boys down in Chillicothe put on an excellent match the 4th weekend.  It's about 2:10 from city center (less if you are south)...but worth it.
They use both Saturday and Sunday...so you can shoot both days for like super cheap, or shoot Chilli Saturday and one of the Schultz matches on Sunday.

To that, NPCCC (Chesterton) also run a Saturday and Sunday USPSA match weekend (woot-woot).

On last note: Schultz runs two USPSA matches; one under NISA and one as Schultz.  
I can ( and usually do) shoot multiple days every weekend between the double USPSA weekends, Steel and IDPA (ssshhh...it's ok...)

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 3:32 PM, yelpspoon said:

This 👆excellent overview.

I will say that the boys down in Chillicothe put on an excellent match the 4th weekend.  It's about 2:10 from city center (less if you are south)...but worth it.
They use both Saturday and Sunday...so you can shoot both days for like super cheap, or shoot Chilli Saturday and one of the Schultz matches on Sunday.

To that, NPCCC (Chesterton) also run a Saturday and Sunday USPSA match weekend (woot-woot).

On last note: Schultz runs two USPSA matches; one under NISA and one as Schultz.  
I can ( and usually do) shoot multiple days every weekend between the double USPSA weekends, Steel and IDPA (ssshhh...it's ok...)

I may be partial, but I would second the trip to Chillicothe.  They run a really good match with some great people there!

• 2 weeks later...