Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy mag wells

MrUnderwood08

Is there a reason many of the heavy mag well options have been discontinued. Zev, Dawson, TTI... all had a heavy mag well option for competition a few years ago. SJC is the only heavy option I can find now. 

Is the added weight not beneficial? What is the recommendation now? 

If you are looking for another alternative, Carver still makes a stainless steel magwell with brass plug that weighs 5.9 oz., a bit lighter than the SJC. The Carver will work with with the TTI basepads, as well as Arredondo and TF - design allows enough room for the TTI retaining pin. The SJC won't work with TTI basepads without some work to relieve the back of the magwell to accommodate the TTI retaining pin. Shred is correct in that brass and tungsten have steadily risen in price. Those old Grams tungsten magwells that Beven made for STI's are very, very pricey, if you can find one.

Thank you for all the responses. A friend has an older magwell that's similar in weight to the Carver that I am going to give a shot. Not sure on the brand. Tungsten is certainly pricey and difficult to machine. Brass on the other hand still seems reasonable and it cuts like butter. It seems the market is definetly trending towards carry magwells and aesthetics over pure performance. Dawson is offering glock 19 magwells now which caught my eye... The 19 grip is a little small for me, especially on the draw, and I might try the dawson to see if it adds some grip support. That would be on a Roland style comp'ed 19.  

I get flashlights are being used to add weight and function to Glocks (and I am using one these days) but I think a grip plug and/or magwell helps to balance things out. There is a point where the weight game gets ridiculous. For me 35-40oz is a good range. Pretty Similar range as a Beretta or 1911. 

I bought a Dawson Glock 19 Gen 5 Magwell and wanted to follow up since I didn't find much information when looking for opinions. When drawing the 19.5 my pinky would have a tendency to end up hanging half off the grip without the magwell. This is in comparison to Gen 3/4 with finger grooves that keep my fingers higher overall but I like an undercut trigger guard to prevent glock knuckle when grooves are present. I have average size hands.

Anyway... the magwell works well overall.  Gen 5 magazine basepads will seat but only with VERY firm pressure. To the point where I wouldn't recommend using with Gen 5 magazines. It includes extended basepads. It does work with older generation of glock basepads.  Carry in AIWB prints more (expected) but it is still easily concealable with a slightly loose T-Shirt. It is large enough to provide good grip support on the full circumference of the bottom of the grip. My only complaint is that I wish the finger groove relief/radius on the front wrapped further around the grip. The end of my pinky finger ends up on a high spot that is going to bother me. I may grind this spot down but would have bought the bare aluminum version if I anticipated needing to make modifications. Coming out of holster it is an improvement. Creates a hook in the front that provides for good index on the gun. The magwell in hand provides good support. I'd liken it to the feel of a square butt revolver grip in the way the bottom swell feels. 

Bottom line... good product. 

Edited by MrUnderwood08
clarification

2 hours ago, MrUnderwood08 said:

I bought a Dawson Glock 19 Gen 5 Magwell and wanted to follow up since I didn't find much information when looking for opinions. When drawing the 19.5 my pinky would have a tendency to end up hanging half off the grip without the magwell. This is in comparison to Gen 3/4 with finger grooves that keep my fingers higher overall but I like an undercut trigger guard to prevent glock knuckle when grooves are present. I have average size hands.

Anyway... the magwell works well overall.  It does NOT work with gen 5 magazine basepads. It includes extended basepads but I was still disappointed. It does work with older generation of glock basepads.  Carry in AIWB prints more (expected) but it is still concealable with a slightly loose T-Shirt. It is large enough to provide good grip support on the full circumference of the bottom of the grip. My only complaint is that I wish the finger groove relief/radius on the front wrapped further around the grip. The end of my pinky finger ends up on a high spot that is going to bother me. I may grind this spot down but would have bought the bare aluminum version if I anticipated needing to make modifications. Coming out of holster it is an improvement. Creates a hook in the front that provides for good index on the gun. The magwell in hand provides good support. I'd liken it to the feel of a square butt revolver grip in the way the bottom swell feels. 

Bottom line... good product with a few design elements that I wish I could change. Still working on draw stroke to verify I can get a consistent index with red dot. I prefer full size Gen 5 Glocks. Gen 4 is my favorite 19.  

Dawson is fine for competition. I wouldn't recommend it for carry. There are a ton of carry magwells on the market for the Gen5 G19. Lightweight and smaller printing. More reasonable for carry.

I have Gen4s and Gen5s and I far prefer the Gen5s. Though I miss the finger grooves on the 4s. The factory magwell flare seems a bit silly bit it makes a huge difference for reloads. I have large hands (L/XL Gloves) and I don't have an issue with finger over-hang on my G19.5 which is my go-to daily carry gun in a AIWB rig.

2 hours ago, Reds_Dot said:

Dawson is fine for competition. I wouldn't recommend it for carry. There are a ton of carry magwells on the market for the Gen5 G19. Lightweight and smaller printing. More reasonable for carry.

I have Gen4s and Gen5s and I far prefer the Gen5s. Though I miss the finger grooves on the 4s. The factory magwell flare seems a bit silly bit it makes a huge difference for reloads. I have large hands (L/XL Gloves) and I don't have an issue with finger over-hang on my G19.5 which is my go-to daily carry gun in a AIWB rig.

Out of curiousity, and for others researching in the future, what do you recommend for carry?

The magwell on this gun improves my grip which was my goal and how I made my selection.  Though I would say the Dawson model is certainly well designed to speed up reloads. I may be mistaken but I think this is the first offering from Dawson specifically intended for the compact models (19/23) so I thought I would give it a try and share here. 

for carry no magwell needed really, zero issue reloading fast enough stock configuration. After all if you get in a real gunfight and need more that 17 rounds you have more issues than .5 second difference in reload time  IMHO  I would look into the pierce baseplates for better grip  Hopefully for competition there will be some gen 5 stainless or brass stuff coming out soon, we do them bad for weight

Edited by Sinister4

On 3/11/2022 at 6:31 PM, MrUnderwood08 said:

Out of curiousity, and for others researching in the future, what do you recommend for carry?

The magwell on this gun improves my grip which was my goal and how I made my selection.  Though I would say the Dawson model is certainly well designed to speed up reloads. I may be mistaken but I think this is the first offering from Dawson specifically intended for the compact models (19/23) so I thought I would give it a try and share here. 

Two that come to mind are the MagPul and Empire Katana for G19s.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:50 AM, Sinister4 said:

for carry no magwell needed really, zero issue reloading fast enough stock configuration. After all if you get in a real gunfight and need more that 17 rounds you have more issues than .5 second difference in reload time  IMHO  I would look into the pierce baseplates for better grip  Hopefully for competition there will be some gen 5 stainless or brass stuff coming out soon, we do them bad for weight

Agreed on the carry gun. 100% I roll my Gen5 G19 carry without a magwell. Honestly that magwell flair they put on the Gen5s helps. I was a bit surprised. 

I disagree you need the weight unless you are running a Limited Major set-up and that is mostly to abate some muzzle rise to allow for faster pairs. 

I run a stock G17.5 that is milled for an SRO in CO. Shoots fast and flat. Case in point: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJGoprzg_Bp/?utm_medium=copy_link

Though I have managed to get my Lim-Major G22.5 up to 40oz which helps keep my splits in the mid teens and under control. (Pic attached)

20220311_202403.jpg