Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a gen 3 frame like a gen 5 frame

datderecelltech

Being in CA gen 5s are hard to come by. I got my hands on a gen 5 g45 and it fits in my hand much better and does not cause as much excessive callousing aong with getting a higher grip. I would like to modify my frame for gen 3 G19 to make it more like a gen 5. 

Other than deleting finger grooves is there anything else I need to do? I know the backstrap portion is slightly thinner also. How would that be done?

57 minutes ago, datderecelltech said:

Being in CA gen 5s are hard to come by. I got my hands on a gen 5 g45 and it fits in my hand much better and does not cause as much excessive callousing aong with getting a higher grip. I would like to modify my frame for gen 3 G19 to make it more like a gen 5. 

Other than deleting finger grooves is there anything else I need to do? I know the backstrap portion is slightly thinner also. How would that be done?

Yes, the backstrap can be taken down. That is what I used to do to my Gen 4 frames, remove the finger grooves and reduce the backstrap. I removed most of the material near the bottom of the backstrap, the "hump", not the top. The easiest way is a Dremel type tool with a sanding drum and go slowly. There are probably videos out there of people doing this type of modification. 

Add a mag well as well. Gives a shelf for your hand and makes mag changes easier. Magpul mag wells are cheap and work well imho. Grip tape from talon is cheaper and less permanent than stipple. Pro texture is awesome. The finger grooves don’t bother me much but I think under cutting the trigger guard is more beneficial if you keep the grooves. The “Glock knuckle”  for me happens with the finger grooves forcing my finger up into the trigger guard. I like extended mag releases (factory) for earlier generations as well.