Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying on classified..

Found something I like and it’s over 3 grand. 

seller wants cert check or money order only. 

Im a Seasoned trader on arfcom with extensive feedbacks which allow me and others to rely somewhat on the feedback history. 

BE seems to lack that. First time buying in BE. I asked for credentials or if anyone could vouch for him or send a copy if his driver license. He said 20 years on BE and I take the leap of faith. 

Honestly, I’m 90% confident that it will be fine but 3+ grand is still a big chunk…

🤔 any advice is appreciated

Edited by yekcoh

Most sites like this one it's up to the buyer and seller to set whatever terms in regards to payments, etc.  You're correct to ask about the things you did, but other than that it's the leap of faith like you mentioned.  Only other level of protection is if it's a firearm, it having to go through an FFL.

If the member is a long time Benos forum member, and has posted quite a bit, it would be hard to not trust them. Are they (the long time member) willing to risk a complete and total permanent ban from this forum for a few bucks? Almost all would say NO. 

Look at their posting history and topics started. It will show if they have had dealings in the classifieds before and how those dealings went.

1 hour ago, yekcoh said:

Im a Seasoned trader on arfcom with extensive feedbacks which allow me and others to rely somewhat on the feedback history. 

BE seems to lack that. First time buying in BE. I asked for credentials or if anyone could vouch for him or send a copy if his driver license. He said 20 years on BE and I take the leap of faith. 

Honestly, I’m 90% confident that it will be fine but 3+ grand is still a big chunk…

Who is it? We can most likely vouch for him

He’s an old timer.  Is it cool to reveal the sellers identity ?

Do I need his consent?

just wanna make sure…

The seller is Skip

Edited by yekcoh

22 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

If the member is a long time Benos forum member, and has posted quite a bit, it would be hard to not trust them. Are they (the long time member) willing to risk a complete and total permanent ban from this forum for a few bucks? Almost all would say NO. 

Look at their posting history and topics started. It will show if they have had dealings in the classifieds before and how those dealings went.

Not a few bucks but multiple grands. Another possibility is that his acct could be hacked 😂 

Edited by yekcoh

8 hours ago, yekcoh said:

Any sort of transaction like that, I would ask the seller to use an escrow service like Guntab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 3:14 PM, yekcoh said:

Another possibility is that his acct could be hacked 😂 

yes.  on another forum some are getting burned by that.  100s of posts so looks like a solid member, but if their acct is hacked, that is irrelevant.

i actually agreed to buy something there but when i asked if they'd wait for a check, they said they req'd venmo which i'm not set up on.  guy after me did venmo and it was a hacked account so he lost $$.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

yes.  on another forum some are getting burned by that.  100s of posts so looks like a solid member, but if their acct is hacked, that is irrelevant.

i actually agreed to buy something there but when i asked if they'd wait for a check, they said they req'd venmo which i'm not set up on.  guy after me did venmo and it was a hacked account so he lost $$.

right. I took almost enough measures.

It was medium risk and it was well worth....

1. Found like two on this forum who ok'ed the seller.

2. Got pics of gun with his name to prove that he has it

3. Called his FFL to verify they knew each other

4. I was able to trace his USPSA# even though he did not provide

It was a bit of a hassle as the seller was very old school and wanted it done his way. 

Edited by yekcoh