Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEATHER Holster for S&W 625-8

brother_hesekiel

G' Day!

I have Kydex holsters for every gun I own, but when it comes to revolvers, I just can't help liking wood stocks and leather holsters, for reasons beyond my control. I even switched back to leather on my EDC J-frames despite the fact that they are thicker than Kydex and heavier as well. Now I'm having a hard time to find a leather holster for my S&W 625-8 that I use in IDPA competition. The CompTac holster I'm using is a great choice, but it ain't leather. The holster should be suitable for IDPA, meaning no retention strap, straight up draw, etc. Seems like the choices for these 4-inch N-frames are extremely limited.

Any suggestions?

I bought the sourdough pancake from simply rugged.  I was similarly shocked that it was so hard to find a holster for what is literally the original .357 Magnum.  The only thing I can think of is that whoever makes the plastic mold guns doesn't make an N frame S&W or Redhawk, because there are very few holsters available for either one.

I have a Simply Rugged pancake for my 329PD ultralight 44. It's great for carrying. When I first started to get into revolver shooting in IDPA I used the 329 with 44 Special loads. I wouldn't recommend the holster for competition when you have frequent re-holstering. But for carrying a revolver in the woods (I used to carry the 329PD in the Black Hills while archery deer hunting due to the number of mountain lions around, and it was legal) that I would totally forget it was there.

Highly recommend Davis leather. He has a lot more than what's on his website. He took over the business from the late Gordon Davis who built top of the line leather holsters for practical shooting back in the 70's and 80's. I have a 5" N-frame Davis holster (not for sale) that is right up your alley, PM me if you want pics.

Davis Leather

• 4 months later...

David leather use to be great stuff.  I hope the new owner does it justice.

Look on E-Bay for Ernie Hill Leather.  There's a lot there and he made great leather holsters.  At one time for USPSA that's about the only holster on the line.

I really dislike leather for a competition holster, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Garrett Holsters' leather-lined "Silent Thunder" line. I have a Ranger model for an N-Frame but the STX looks good, too. You can request Tru-Hide Whisky kydex for a holster that looks like leather but has all the advantages of kydex.

I've carried a 329PD daily in Mernickles PS06 DA and I'm very happy with it. About 3 years all day use and it's held up great.

Has 2 front slots, one is a mild butt foreward cant, the one they call a "crossdraw" slot, in reality carries vertical for me.

I tried to post a picture but it says the pic is too large.

Stays open for easy reholstering.

Edited by Daddyo

• 4 weeks later...