Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 Herrett / range sighting 2.5x

Squirrel45

Hi Everyone, 

So im playing with this funny cartridge and its pretty fun. I was wondering one want if any on here loads for this and what they are using. But secondly at what distance would you try and go for grouping in load development with a 2.5x scope, im thinking either 50 or 80 yards, what do you all think? Even if you dont own this round what is a good sighting distance for that scope power? 

thanks 

Squirrel 

I would start at 50 and once you get zeroed move it out. I’ve had several 2.5X’s on handguns and you can do pretty good out to 100 with a proper target. Lots of guys shot silhouette out to 500 meters with it in handguns and iron sights.  Instead of a black bull I would make my own with just white paper, an el-Marko and just draw a simple cross or upside down T on the paper. I think at 100 yards a one inch wide line matches up with the width of the reticle which makes lining things up easier. I’ve used those bright orange targets with the diamonds but find them kinda busy. The 2.5 is kinda funny as sometimes it almost seems to make things look farther away. 

Not a .357, but I have a .30 Herrett in a Contender with that size scope on it.  I'd start work at 50 yards if I were you, and then experiment beyond.  Round is good to 100+ yards, of course.  For hunting purposes, I limit my handgun shooting to the range I can hit a small paper plate at.  Those small paper plates also make a pretty good target by themselves at ranges beyond 50 yds or so; just "square up" the plate in the crosshairs.  Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks guys, the 357 herrett is a fun cartridge for sure. Never played with a wildcat before but now I'm kinda hooked. I think I'll go for around 50 yards to run my test loads. Interesting what you say Farmer that when looking though a 2.5x scope it kinda looks small. This is the first pistol iv ever had a scope on. In the future I may put a higher power on. 

Thanks for the comments

Squirrel

I bumped up to 2.5 X 8 on my hunting calibers. With those you can zero good loads from the bench at 8X and then turn down to 3 or so for off hand shooting. Off the bench put a bag on the forearm and a good solid bag/pad under the grip and your groups should be good. Lots of fun to be had! 😃

I was thinking why my SD was all over the map. Since I just started messing around with this case, and personally I not really into long range shooting. I shoot a good deal of steel challenge and some ICORE but nothing to a degree of precision needed here. Anyway I was looking at the cases I used, all mixed head stamps, some 30-30 and some 375 Win, yikes no wonder why my SD is all over 🤔

8 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

I was thinking why my SD was all over the map. Anyway I was looking at the cases I used, all mixed head stamps, some 30-30 and some 375 Win, yikes no wonder why my SD is all over 🤔

😅 That might have some affect.  What gets me is sometimes you can have an ES off the chart but a good group. Next time out, ES of 9 and it looks like a pattern.🤪 What platform are you shootings these out of?  TC Contender? They are fairly  critical of headspace and free-bore. 

yeah this is out of a Tender... I was out there again today with it, seems that 158's are running well in that barrel. I wish I could find  180 data and IMR 4227 or 2400

Edited by Squirrel45

7 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

yeah this is out of a Tender... I was out there again today with it, seems that 158's are running well in that barrel. I wish I could find  180 data and IMR 4227 or 2400

This is from the Speer #10 manual Take note of the warning on the bottom. 

A2208CED-AC6F-4B37-9EC6-2161979C41C9.jpeg

Edited by Farmer
Added

Thanks Man, those are consideribly hotter then the loads I see listed in the two Lee books I have. But 2400 is not listed at all and imr4227 isn't listed for a 180. I think I'll start with 20/22 grains w them guys. I did get great results on paper w 19.2 and a158. 

Thanks for the data

Don’t know how familiar you are with the tender but as you approach “too hot” the action will become hard to open. That’s definitely time to stop and back off otherwise you’ll stretch the frame. 

Edited by Farmer