Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When the reload isn’t in the stage plan

X5SigChris

Maybe this helps someone walking into it for the first time as well or y’all can get a good laugh. 

I’m on month two of getting back into shooting sports with a focus on shooting CO in USPSA. Today however, I shot my first SC match in almost nine years due to missing a local match last weekend. All my dry fire has a planned reload in it to work the skill. 

Fast forward to today. Excited, slightly nervous, never met this group of people before, never shot at this range, first match in forever. I get up to the box, load and make ready, hear the buzzer, let ‘em rip. Everything goes great. Move to the next string. Good to go. Next string. Good to go. Had a couple makeup shots in the mix but happy overall. Fourth string comes up and bang, bang, bang, slide lock. Guess who didn’t incorporate reloads in the stage plan. 

Moral of the story, just because there is only five targets per string, you should still plan your reloads unless you shoot open. I started to swap mags after two strings after that. 

Hope someone can learn from my misfortune or at least get a good chuckle. 

😮I went back to single stack after a year shooting limited.

Even though I began shooting single stack a few years ago, I managed to run the gun dry in my first match this year. Going back to eight rounds instead of twenty is a rude awakening after the first string.

Edited by Nc1911
Addition

1 hour ago, Nc1911 said:

😮I went back to single stack after a year shooting limited.

Even though I began shooting single stack a few years ago, I managed to run the gun dry in my first match this year. Going back to eight rounds instead of twenty is a rude awakening after the first string.

It’s crazy because even when I have my wife set up a few targets so I don’t see them from time to time, I can glance at them and go “ok I’m stepping here, reload”. SC I was just “hit the target. Hit the target”. Oops. The RO got a kick out of. Hell, it was kinda funny when it happened. 

38 minutes ago, StefVanHauwe said:

I'm an open shooter, and I also integrate and plan my reloads, especially on large medium and especially long courses. I made a video abot the topic. DVC 🙂

I actually watched this video a while back and liked it. I just didn’t do it hahaha. Sometimes it’s easy to see the reload because you know you have a few steps here n it’s dead time anyways. But here, the dead time I just used as gathering focus. Taking in some air. Making sure I have a good draw. Didn’t think “did I top off my mag”.  Hard lessons are good ones sometimes. 

• 1 year later...

I am a big fan of always counting rounds during my walk through. It serves two good purposes: 1) confirming that you aren't skipping or missing targets, and 2) forcing you to consider reload opportunities. Harder to ignore reload planning when you know you have "x" number of rounds at the beep and you are now at "x+6" rounds into your stage plan and haven't planned a position to reload yet.

Edited by dwbethue

• 8 months later...

I had a reload in my mental stage plan and forgot to during the stage. I opened a door, a moving cover exposed the target and I got a 'click'. Crap, I reloaded and the target was now obscured except for the head shot A zone area. I slowed down and put em both in the head and embarrasingly finished that portion of the stage.

6 hours ago, flyinverted said:

I had a reload in my mental stage plan and forgot to during the stage. I opened a door, a moving cover exposed the target and I got a 'click'. Crap, I reloaded and the target was now obscured except for the head shot A zone area. I slowed down and put em both in the head and embarrasingly finished that portion of the stage.

Haha yep! At least you alphaed the head down, my luck itd be a charlie, mike at best