Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand new S&W 929 ejector star sticking

Lesliet

Hi, all!  Setting up a brand new 929 and I noticed that the ejector star machining hangs up sometimes when you release it, the star can rotate a tiny bit, and it catches and doesn't seat down flush.  At that point, you can't close the cylinder, so this could be a big issue in a match.  My initial thinking is to " just shoot it" in practice tomorrow, and see if it works itself into a better fit, but if not, have any of you experienced this?  What did you do to fix it?  I'm not keen on sending stuff in for warranty, I usually can do pretty well on keeping my own stuff running.  Thinking if it continues to hang up, maybe I can do a little careful filing so it has some bevel on the edges that seat in the cylinder. 

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Interesting, I may have to experiment with that.  For the most part ( round count is 2765 as of today) it runs very nicely, and the brass comes out without much trouble. Have had a few exceptions, notably a discolored brass that may have been some nasty thing I dug out of the gravel at some point when I was brassing up, that stuck hard enough to lock up the gun during a match.  Got it sorted pretty quick, and kept going, but it made me want to check my brass a bit closer. This particular case seemed to have swelled more than usual. No rupture or anything, but who knows. 

On 5/3/2022 at 10:10 PM, Lesliet said:

Interesting, I may have to experiment with that.  For the most part ( round count is 2765 as of today) it runs very nicely, and the brass comes out without much trouble. Have had a few exceptions, notably a discolored brass that may have been some nasty thing I dug out of the gravel at some point when I was brassing up, that stuck hard enough to lock up the gun during a match.  Got it sorted pretty quick, and kept going, but it made me want to check my brass a bit closer. This particular case seemed to have swelled more than usual. No rupture or anything, but who knows. 

You will have best results if you don’t mix brass.  I found my TK customs steel clips ran best with Winchester brass so I parse them out of my brass pile for use in the 929.