Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Partial mags won’t drop on my Wilson

gethirt

I just got a new Wilson combat classic model in .45 that I intend to use for single stack. I’m having an issue with partially expended magazines not dropping free. Empty mags fall out no problem as do fully loaded mags, but after you fire three or four rounds, the magazines will frequently hang up in the gun. They drop out about a quarter of an inch and that is it. The ammo I am using is 230 grain blue bullets loaded to 1.21 inches. The ammo runs in all of my other 1911s and so do the mags. The magazines are Wilson’s and McCormicks and it’s happening with both. I already kicked it back to the factory once to no avail.  Any ideas?

Check the bottom edge of the bolt face. If it is sharp, it can drag the "next" round forward so it drags on the mag well if you try and drop the mag. This has been a traditional problem with CZs and I see no reason that the problem could be realized with any slide. A very slight bevel on the edge fixed it for me.

Good Luck,

ChuckS

15 minutes ago, Chrisyoung said:

Could it be the release draging on the magazine as it falling? It be worth a shot to  deliberately press and hold the magazine release down all the way down to see if that's the problem 

That’s a good suggestion. I tried swapping out mag releases, to no avail.

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Check the bottom edge of the bolt face. If it is sharp, it can drag the "next" round forward so it drags on the mag well if you try and drop the mag. This has been a traditional problem with CZs and I see no reason that the problem could be realized with any slide. A very slight bevel on the edge fixed it for me.

Good Luck,

ChuckS

That hadn’t occurred to me Chuck, but I think you might be on to something there.  After I extract the magazines that are hanging up it does seem like that top round has nudged forward a bit.

• 2 months later...