Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 40 with accurate no 2 and 180 gr berrys, starting charge?

Obvious

Like the title says, all I've been able to find locally to get started are berrys bullets and accurate no 2. From data online it seems that a starting charge would be 4 grains and a max of 4.8 grains. Does that sound correct to everyone else? Powder through also says the COL should be 1.125", as long as it plunks fine will there be any harm loading longer with this combo? 

The 6.0 manual I have shows that same load but it also shows a,

185 cast RNSWC

4.6 - 829 fps

5.1 - 942 fps 

at 1.174 col

Nose profile could be making the length difference but this should give you an idea of length/powder adjustment. As you go longer you will lose some fps, but generally anything under .020 won’t make much difference unless it’s jammed into the lands.   Plain lead is usually a bit faster. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

• 2 weeks later...
Twist: 1:16.000"
Barrel Length: 4.000"
Trim Length: 0.845"
BULLET WEIGHT
180 GR. BERB HP
CASE
WINCHESTER
PRIMER
WINCHESTER SP, SMALL PISTOL

Manufacturer Accurate Powder No. 2 OUT OF STOCK Bullet Diam. 0.400" C.O.L 1.1250 Starting Load Grs. 4.0 Vel. (ft/s) 823 Pressure 29,400 PSI Maximum Load Grs. 4.8 Vel. (ft/s) 920 Pressure 34,600 PSI

• 2 weeks later...

You don't say what gun you are loading for but I would start at 4 grains and chrono your way up to whatever pf your looking for. You should settle on an OAL first to keep things consistent. My load data is for a CZ Tactical Sport, they are loaded short by 2011 standards at 1.150.