Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

failure to go into battery after installing Timney Trigger

Nick29

I just made the switch to CO from Production with my 34.5 MOS.  My current set-up is a glockstore tungsten guide rod w/ 13lb spring, TTI Grand Master spring and connector kit, and SRO on a forward controls design plate.  I have a couple Dawson and Henning magazine extensions.  The gun has about 11,000 rounds through it.  I put about 600 through it with the extensions with no issues. I mostly shoot 147gr Federal American Eagle.  

A couple weeks ago I installed a Timney Trigger with the red return spring.

In one range trip (about 350 rounds) and one match this past weekend, I basically can't get through a magazine without multiple failures to go into battery.  The slide stops with the top bullet in the magazine stuck against the feed ramp.  Tapping on the magazine or back of the slide gets the round to chamber.  I initially chalked it up to the recoil spring being too light or a magazine issue, but it's still happening after swapping the stock, barely used RSA back in, and it has happened with all of the extensions.  I haven't had a chance to try a stock magazine yet. 

I've read through a lot of the big thread on the Timney Trigger, and have searched, and haven't been able to find similar malfunctions happening with the Timney.  I can't figure out how the trigger would cause that kind of malfunction anyway, but it's the only change I've made before the malfunction started.  I appreciate any help or tips you folks might have. 

5 minutes ago, Raz22582 said:

Have you tried a different firing pin spring? 

I thought of that, but wouldn’t a heavier (ie: factory) spring make the issue more likely?, since with the timney it’s getting cocked as the slide returns to battery?

Timney should be a little more straightforward with their instructions. 

The triggers aren’t nearly as “drop in” as they’d like to make them out to be. I have 3 of them… and two of the three needed extensive adjustments to the connector and trigger bar cross bar to reset properly and consistently drop the striker. 

45 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

With that said…  I don’t really see how your issue is being caused by the trigger. 

It sounds more like a recoil/mag spring issue to me. 

I agree, but I’ve pretty much ruled out the recoil spring, and it seems crazy that four extensions and springs from henning and Dawson would all have the same malfunction.

Is there something specific i should look at on the mags?  I’ve tried swapping the extensions to different mag bodies for what it’s worth and the result is the same

Some of it might be the tolerance of your frame itself. 

I have 2 Timneys installed, one on a 34.4 & 34.3. When I got the first one for my 34.4, I had multiple issues that I couldn't resolve, so I got my backup 34.4 dropped that same trigger in and it ran perfectly first time in. 

Got the second trigger for the 34.3, dropped in no problem. 

I had the luxury of multiple Glocks to fall back on, though. 

Edited by vluc

1 hour ago, vluc said:

Some of it might be the tolerance of your frame itself. 

I have 2 Timneys installed, one on a 34.4 & 34.3. When I got the first one for my 34.4, I had multiple issues that I couldn't resolve, so I got my backup 34.4 dropped that same trigger in and it ran perfectly first time in. 

Got the second trigger for the 34.3, dropped in no problem. 

I had the luxury of multiple Glocks to fall back on, though. 

that’s one of my fears. My participation level isn’t at the point where a dedicated backup gun makes sense so i don’t have another gen 5 to compare

this might be the thing that gets me to try a sig though…

50 minutes ago, Nick29 said:

that’s one of my fears. My participation level isn’t at the point where a dedicated backup gun makes sense so i don’t have another gen 5 to compare

this might be the thing that gets me to try a sig though…

I don’t get it, you’ve been shooting a G34 for quite some time, then you can’t get a Timney trigger to work so you’re ready to try a Sig?

have you considered maybe tossing the Timney in the trash and going back to the trigger you’ve used for the past 11,000 rounds and using that?  Or at least use it as a starting point to tweak in a different direction than a Timney???

sounds to me like the Timney is your problem, not the Glock. There are MANY other options for Glock trigger mods and all of them have been in use far longer than the Timney. 
I’m a little ahead of you on this path. I pulled out my Timney a month or two ago and went back to Apex. I couldn’t be happier. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I don’t get it, you’ve been shooting a G34 for quite some time, then you can’t get a Timney trigger to work so you’re ready to try a Sig?

have you considered maybe tossing the Timney in the trash and going back to the trigger you’ve used for the past 11,000 rounds and using that?  Or at least use it as a starting point to tweak in a different direction than a Timney???

sounds to me like the Timney is your problem, not the Glock. There are MANY other options for Glock trigger mods and all of them have been in use far longer than the Timney. 
I’m a little ahead of you on this path. I pulled out my Timney a month or two ago and went back to Apex. I couldn’t be happier. 

Oh it’s not a logical move. Just an excuse to try something new. 

before the timney I’ve been using a glockstore black yikes connector and Overwatch Precision trigger. Its light but mushy.  I’ve played with the trigger a good bit and it’s still a glock trigger.  It’s the archer not the arrow i know, but i was immediately more accurate with the timney.  

I know a few guys who shoot sigs and its starting to feel like I’ve been trying to make my gun perform more like theirs

My Glock trigger was/is the same as my Timney, 2.5#.  I only switched because my Glock trigger could only set off certain primers due to the lightness of the springs I needed to get it to work.  With Timney I can set off small rifle that I could not with my Glock trigger.  The only reason I switched to be honest, especially with primer scarcity.

No reason to leave the plantation because the Timney would not work out in your Glock.

31 minutes ago, Nick29 said:

before the timney I’ve been using a glockstore black yikes connector and Overwatch Precision trigger. Its light but mushy.

A bit off the Timney topic, but you might try a Lone Wolf connector with the Overwatch trigger. Several years ago a local Glock shooter told me Lone Wolf is what he used. I have used them in several Glocks and found them to give a light pull while also giving a crisper break and feel. Matter of fact, I have a couple of triggers from Charlie Vanek that he used a Lone Wolf connector in that he had tuned up. Nice pull and crisp break.

54 minutes ago, vluc said:

My Glock trigger was/is the same as my Timney, 2.5#.  I only switched because my Glock trigger could only set off certain primers due to the lightness of the springs I needed to get it to work.  With Timney I can set off small rifle that I could not with my Glock trigger.  The only reason I switched to be honest, especially with primer scarcity.

No reason to leave the plantation because the Timney would not work out in your Glock.

I totally get this. I’ve had to bump up my striker spring to get their a few boxes of really old PMC primers that came my way. I’ll be glad when they’re done and I can go back to the 4.0 lb spring. This is also why I ended up trying the Timney. 

I took the gun apart this morning and the screw that holds the timney sear housing in the Glock housing was loose. With the slide off, there was visible movement in the timney part when i manipulated the trigger. I put some vibratite on the screw and am going to head to the range to test it in a few minutes. 

the sig comment was really a non sequitur. I’m curious to see what the hype is about but getting rid of my Glocks isn’t a consideration

2 hours ago, Nick29 said:

I took the gun apart this morning and the screw that holds the timney sear housing in the Glock housing was loose. With the slide off, there was visible movement in the timney part when i manipulated the trigger. I put some vibratite on the screw and am going to head to the range to test it in a few minutes. 

the sig comment was really a non sequitur. I’m curious to see what the hype is about but getting rid of my Glocks isn’t a consideration

that should fix it for sure, I assume you are using the "U" shaped washer as well ? 

2 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

that should fix it for sure, I assume you are using the "U" shaped washer as well ? 

Yes i am. It definitely had the issue less today (not every mag) but it’s still doing it. One mag in particular was the worst. I’m thinking the mag springs are hanging up on something

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 6:54 PM, Nick29 said:

Yes i am. It definitely had the issue less today (not every mag) but it’s still doing it. One mag in particular was the worst. I’m thinking the mag springs are hanging up on something

Wondering if you ever got your issues resolved?

I have Timney triggers in two Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS pistols that I run in USPSA CO.  I agree with comments a few others have already made that Timney triggers are not necessarily a simple drop in.  Then again, I would caution folks not to expect any new trigger or trigger part is going to be a simple drop in item.  I've been running Glock pistols since they came out with the G21 in .45acp over 30 years ago, that's when I sold my Colt 1911 and never looked back.  I have played with many Glock triggers and trigger parts since then, both Glock and aftermarket selections, looking for that secret sauce.  I have to say that with a little tuning my Timney triggers run like no other Glock trigger I have owned and they are really a game changer for Glock pistols if you look closely at how they function!  Hope you were able to get yours sorted out.