Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX in a CZ

Dkrock

Hey guys! Just wanted to see if anyone has any idea why MBX doesnt make anything for the cz? Seems like the czechmate is among the most used open guns. The most ive gotten from them is “we’re looking into it”. Thanks

for any info!

They used to make large frame tanfo mag (also fit a Caspian frame) not sure if they still do. Guessing they arent hostile to the idea but I wonder what market share the cz open guns actually have (vs glock mag pccs and 2011s)

Edited by caspian guy

3 hours ago, Dkrock said:

Seems like the czechmate is among the most used open guns.

Is this just a personal observation? 2021 USPSA Open Nationals equipment survey doesn't even have CZ listed. Limited had CZ at 7%.

Personally I only see a few other Czechmates around local matches. I predominantly see 2011's. That said, more mag options would be nice.

19 minutes ago, BRuss said:

Is this just a personal observation? 2021 USPSA Open Nationals equipment survey doesn't even have CZ listed. Limited had CZ at 7%.

Personally I only see a few other Czechmates around local matches. I predominantly see 2011's. That said, more mag options would be nice.

I see them a lot at different levels. I mean at the very least, its one of a handful of factory open guns on the market. They seem to have all other variants (to include rock island) in production. Just seemed weird. 

2 hours ago, Dkrock said:

I see them a lot at different levels. I mean at the very least, its one of a handful of factory open guns on the market. They seem to have all other variants (to include rock island) in production. Just seemed weird. 

unfortunately Czechmates are a tiny fraction of the market.  

8 hours ago, BRuss said:

It was probably 3-4%; I shot one and know of 4 others who definitely did as well, and I'm sure there were more I'm not aware of, but it's definitely a small number. 

That being said, if MBX came out with a line of reliable Czechmate mags they would likely become the new norm, at least for the 170s. The $160 MBX charges for their other 170s is cheaper than it costs to get a factory CZ big stick ($130) + CZC extension ($38) and springs to take it to a true 170 and require tuning to run reliably. I'm sure they can be made better and more reliable, the question is whether the R&D for that would provide a meaningful enough ROI for MBX. 

16 hours ago, Dkrock said:

Pretty sure the rock island mag is fundamentally the same as their standard Sti compatible mag with the exception of where the mag catch slot is cut.  That's something that's straightforward to do... The cz mag would be a new form factor mag so they would need new tooling to make a mag that shape and size.

On 2/22/2022 at 6:34 AM, caspian guy said:

Pretty sure the rock island mag is fundamentally the same as their standard Sti compatible mag with the exception of where the mag catch slot is cut.  That's something that's straightforward to do... The cz mag would be a new form factor mag so they would need new tooling to make a mag that shape and size.

Not really. And the reason Adrian has a rock island mag is directly due to the fact it was already something he made. It is the same as a Para hicap mag. The big difference is at the feed lips. The mag catch location is very similar. In fact 99% of the rock island guns can take a STI mag fight from the factory. 

• 10 months later...

MBX just released the large frame 9mm mags after Christmas.  Picked up a 170 and 140mm to try out in my wife's Czechmate.

My 2011 MBX mags have been flawless and hold 30 and 24 round  reloadable so I have high expectations for these mags.

After following their instructions to break in the springs, I can stuff 30 in the 170mm and 24 in the 140mm.

Last round is tight fit but it's reloadable.

14 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

MBX just released the large frame 9mm mags after Christmas.  Picked up a 170 and 140mm to try out in my wife's Czechmate.

My 2011 MBX mags have been flawless and hold 30 and 24 round  reloadable so I have high expectations for these mags.

After following their instructions to break in the springs, I can stuff 30 in the 170mm and 24 in the 140mm.

Last round is tight fit but it's reloadable.

Please let us know after you try in the Czechmate! 

17 minutes ago, DavidSeavey said:

I've got a big stick coming as well, hoping for an easily reloadable 29 with minimal fuss

That will not be an issue.

The way the ammo stacks on top of each other looks like my self tuned and grams tuned mags.  Manually cycling the rounds with no issues at all

A buddy has 3 of the big sticks. 
no tuning and 29 with still some spring compression. 
the .40 mags are a little more narrow than stock and the diamond shape control rib that guides the rounds to single stack is lower than a stock mag. 
so there only 20 with no room in the spring. 

Edited by Superkaratemonkeyfighter

I just received my big stick in the mail today.  I ran out to the the range for a test.  I was able to load 29 easily, seating the mag took a whack and cycling the slide was like molasses in winter, but it is brand new.  Range test was perfect, match tomorrow will tell the tale.

A small frame CZ 170 mag is possible using a Promag body, a Grams spring and a plus one base pad.  About $70. 

IMG-E2894.jpg

Edited by dogtired