Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To: 3 Essential IPSC/USPSA Stage Strategies

StefVanHauwe

Thanks for this video! Much needed after a mental slump of having to cancel a match I was looking forward to. 

when calculating HF, would you say calculating needed time to be acceptable? For example, el pres GM HF for CO is 10.21. If I estimate a A/C on all targets and score a 48 of 60 points and run a 7.00sec, that puts me at a 6.85HF or B class run. If I end up scoring better then I know my HF will only go up. 

maybe this is just a longer way to calculate everything but it gives me a goal time to run it in. 

what’s your take? Thanks you. And hopefully my math is all correct lol. 

If you are unclassified I don't know that factoring is a good use of time. Not busting your chops at all.

To use your El Pres as an example I'd focus on

Smooth/consistent turn/draw. 

Smooth cadence left to right

The instant that 6th round is fired snap right into the reload

As you are seating that magazine aggressively push back onto T1

Broken down a little bit more....

Consistent hand placement re: "Wrists above."

Look past/through the dot while going from T1-T3

Perfect/consistent reload technique

@konkapoti understand what you mean. And by no means was I trying to use el pres as my go to or the one and only. More of a reference that everyone seems to understand. Honestly, I don’t practice classifiers all to often. Figure if I just get better at the sport as a whole, the classifier times will come. But it’s nice to understand what my points and time correlate to. 

as far as primary focus goes, it does consist of smoothing out reloads and transitions. I know my eyes don’t lead the transition every time. Something I have to continue working on. 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:47 PM, X5SigChris said:

Thanks for this video! Much needed after a mental slump of having to cancel a match I was looking forward to. 

when calculating HF, would you say calculating needed time to be acceptable? For example, el pres GM HF for CO is 10.21. If I estimate a A/C on all targets and score a 48 of 60 points and run a 7.00sec, that puts me at a 6.85HF or B class run. If I end up scoring better then I know my HF will only go up. 

maybe this is just a longer way to calculate everything but it gives me a goal time to run it in. 

what’s your take? Thanks you. And hopefully my math is all correct lol. 

Hi, thanks for the appreciation!

There are different ways to do an "educated guess" on HF, incl. time and points (go for min. 90% of the max points).

"Guessing" the time based on your classification, skill level and experience is one way to do it. Check out my video on HF: 

and certainly check out "Standing Reload"'s videos on HF Calculus: 

I treat classifiers just as any other stage, incl. stage plan.