Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Control Poll...

PistolPete

I come all the way off the trigger...nothing touching, then prep as necessary (depends on the shot) and PRESS, not pull the trigger.

We have a device at work that puts a pressure sensor on the trigger of Glocks, 1911s, and a couple of others. In years of testing, they have never, ever seen a single shooter who was able to go from the shot breaking to the reset point (or even reasonably close) unless they slowed down to literally bullseye speed. This included many of the big name shooters in our sport. I know TGO and TJ were shown the system and gave it a try.

:)

That is really great information. I have been practicing and really just recently stopped thinking about reset and just making sure I get off the trigger so it can reset and then start pulling. This actually takes some warm-up-like timing drills or ten slow shots at 10 yds, before starting practice drills or stage setups. As usual, Gman has the objective information that will set you free.

I come all the way off the trigger...nothing touching, then prep as necessary (depends on the shot) and PRESS, not pull the trigger.

We have a device at work that puts a pressure sensor on the trigger of Glocks, 1911s, and a couple of others. In years of testing, they have never, ever seen a single shooter who was able to go from the shot breaking to the reset point (or even reasonably close) unless they slowed down to literally bullseye speed. This included many of the big name shooters in our sport. I know TGO and TJ were shown the system and gave it a try.

That is really great information. I have been practicing and really just recently stopped thinking about reset and just making sure I get off the trigger so it can reset and then start pulling. This actually takes some warm-up-like timing drills or ten slow shots at 10 yds, before starting practice drills or stage setups. As usual, Gman has the objective information that will set you free.

LOL....either I'm being objective and honest or I'm trying to mess with the heads of a whole bunch of people :roflol:

LOL....either I'm being objective and honest or I'm trying to mess with the heads of a whole bunch of people :roflol:

I know one guy on the forums who can do it...........

I slap untill the shot gets to a certain difficulty level, then it's a nice squeeze.

+1

I took an advanced class with TJ and that was his method too. He had us experiment with slapping at different distances to determine our slapping comfort zone. He claims that he slaps the trigger up close to midrange shots but still uses the prep and pull method for harder shots.

I know one guy on the forums who can do it...........

Having seen a stack of graphs of people that swore they could do it, but couldn't, I'm not inclined to believe anybody can do it. Think about the time frame we're talking about as far as how quickly it has to happen and how precisely it has to happen. Sure, hit a spot that's essentially +/- 0.00" and you've got maybe a tenth of a second to do it? If anything, the few people that were the "best" at it went a little past the reset and quickly took that little bit of slack back up, but even they were going well past what they thought they were....and they weren't shooting the kind of splits we do, maybe half second or a little faster at most.

• 7 months later...

I don't know for sure but I think TJ, and RL are using the "slack out" method. It looks like slapping the trigger because they are comming completely off of it. What they are actually doing is comming off the trigger in recoil and prepping the trigger right up to where it's ready to break. Once the sights come back down your ready for the next shot. You will naturally shoot faster because as the post comes back down into the notch the trigger is allread ready to go. It also helps with accuracy because your not having to pull the trigger much once you have a sight picture.

This is what I do, as taught to me by Len Baxley. I shoot a stock Glock connector, and the two-stage feel helps me pull through the "slack" up to the point when the shot is about to break. Then I let the sights align and break the next shot. I tend to way overgrip with my strong hand if I'm trying to ride the reset, and that makes me less accurate than anything. However, by letting the trigger out all the way for each shot, my strong hand stays more relaxed and my trigger pull is more consistent.

I must have talked to 5 GMs and at least six conversation with BE about this issue before the article in Front Sight.

Brian was very patient with me as I went through all the options, where to place the finger, how much bend, etc. Then he finally said, none of that matters as long as you can break the shot without disturbing the sight picture. If you know where the front sight was located when you broke the shot, then you know where the bullet went. Get your sight picture and break your shot without changing it. How you do that is what works for you. In typically Brian fashion, you have to experiment to find the right combination.

I just got an M&P Pro that I love shooting after shooting only 1911s for a long time. There is a ton of initial take up with nearly zero weight, but a nice short reset and no overtravel on my setup. I don't come all the way off the trigger...that would be too much movement. I'd like to think I let it out to the reset point and then prep for the next shot. I also stink so don't listen to me :P

• 2 months later...

I shoot open Revolver and Open Auto in Steel Challenge and Sportsman's Team Challenge and shoot 22 rimfire on 2" target at 45 and 50 yards. not at a slow pace, if you wont to win or do well.

Each target and each game and the game inside the game has a diferent setup. If I am jsut testing amoe or a barrel, or sighting in I use a diferent triger setup and pull, but they are alos close to the same.

If you don't learn them all or have a goal to learn, you will never find what your true protential can be. A fast double action Revover pull on a long target is a good trick to have when you need or wont it.

coming off the triger to reset for a two shot drill is a new trick for me, that I have just tryed this past two years. = I don't think I like it, and I don't think it has helped my shooting. I think it has cost me a year of missed calls on shots. And thanks for asking the question becuse I am goning to stop doing it.

I would rather have two slow hits that i know ware they hit in .23 splits over a .19 split that I cant be shurr of the hit, But at 49 in old compared to most.

I know how that old thing is, @ 48 and my son 12 he takes me to the cleans about every week....... I love it. USPSA shot it................steel this week end.

I liked the idea of riding the reset... tried it for a long time a few years back. what I learned for myself is that trying to do so diverted my attention when I wanted it elsewhere. Reset is just something that happens. My finger moves enough to let it happen, then I'm back breaking the shot. Smooth press to break the shot, smooth release of the trigger, and back to breaking the next shot. When I do notice the reset, it's just because the shot is demanding enough that my attention has shifted from the target, to my sight picture, and on to my trigger press. Reset is just something I'm aware of in those situations, but my finger path does not change because I hear/feel the click (it's not my goal to stop just past the reset).

That's not necessarily a "right" answer for anyone but me. I experimented and that what I learned....

To me, "slapping" is such a bad word... it sounds like you're yanking shots... MY interpretation of slapping means smoothly pressing the trigger all the way through it's range of motion, as compared to intentionaly stopping movement at the sear. But then again, I've spent years shooting a DA/SA production gun, so a lot of my SA trigger work comes from also needing a good DA shot.

-rvb

I use two methods, on close open targets I do what some people would call slapping the trigger on farther targets or really tight shots I release it all the way and take up the slack and slowly squeeze until it goes bang. It all depends on the situation.

I dry fire a lot and when I shoot I just act. Mucsle memory you could say. Because if you always think about it instead oif act your taking to much time. But when I just shoot during practice I will shoot some slow fire pulling the trigger and slowly resetting it. Then I move into my training phase. If that makes any sense.

I ride the trigger to reset. Have been doing it for as long as I have been shooting, not sure where I learned it but my guess is that it is just something I figured out. Sadly I have no formal shooting training but over the last few years have watched and used a lot of DVDs from the top shooter and they all have helped.

Joe W.

See the dot, let 'r rip.

I guess that's a slap.

Revolver is a different game. I know I ride the trigger face because I (still lock the trigger up sometimes, when I don't let it reset all the way. That always makes for a very, very happy Roman (not!).

• 2 months later...

I used to do some 4x4 offroading here in Connecticut. The club I was in had a saying. 'As slow as possible. Fast as necessary'. Slow to keep from tearing up tghe land but sometimes u need a bit extra to maked it through.

This thread got me thinking about that but in reverse. 'As fast as possible. Slow as necessary'. Shoot the targets as fast as you can but take enough time to make a good shot.

I take up the slack. That is all I can tell you. I don't really know when I break the shot. It just happens. When my eyes are happy, the shot breaks. (When I'm not rushing my shots like a fool that is.) :wacko:

So I don't consciously break it unless I am rushing. I think shooting double action pistols will help this too.