Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand new reloader looking to make .40 major PF, what’s the best bullet/powder combos?

Obvious

Just now, Guitarmageddon said:

220s are definitely heavies....youll be able to watch that slide return to battery and make a sandwich in between

I played myself a bit, they're heavy enough I haven't been able to find any load data for them lmao. They're close to a 230gr 45 so might just average the data between a 200 40 and 230 45. shooting factory ammo, 165 felt snappy and 180 was a nice change and a bit more gentle. I shall see if 220 is too slow for my liking or if it's nice and pleasant 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Obvious said:

I played myself a bit, they're heavy enough I haven't been able to find any load data for them lmao. They're close to a 230gr 45 so might just average the data between a 200 40 and 230 45. shooting factory ammo, 165 felt snappy and 180 was a nice change and a bit more gentle. I shall see if 220 is too slow for my liking or if it's nice and pleasant 

I came to 40 from shooting 9mm in production and fell in love with 147s.  they are as good as it gets for 9mm, in my opinion (and many others). so I thoughts "oh so heavy for caliber bullets will always be better" but really wasnt happy with 200s in the tso. Switched back to 180 blues and very happy. I have some 165 blues but they have a really odd profile that I will have to revisit. it limits your OAL options

I use 190gr Ibejheads with 4.3gr N310.  Super soft but a very fast powder.  I load real long for an SV.  Not sure if it’s wise if you have to load shorter.

most will say it’s not wise at all but I never had an issue.

8 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

I use 190gr Ibejheads with 4.3gr N310.  Super soft but a very fast powder.  I load real long for an SV.  Not sure if it’s wise if you have to load shorter.

most will say it’s not wise at all but I never had an issue.

What OAL? I load 1.120 with 180s. 4.5gr sport pistol, or 4.5 gr hp38. for very close velocities

Just now, Guitarmageddon said:

What OAL? I load 1.120 with 180s. 4.5gr sport pistol, or 4.5 gr hp38. for very close velocities

I'm currently loading 180 gr with 4.7 gr of accurate no 2 to 1.200" OAL, but not sure on powder charge for 220's

42 minutes ago, Guitarmageddon said:

I came to 40 from shooting 9mm in production and fell in love with 147s.  they are as good as it gets for 9mm, in my opinion (and many others). so I thoughts "oh so heavy for caliber bullets will always be better" but really wasnt happy with 200s in the tso. Switched back to 180 blues and very happy. I have some 165 blues but they have a really odd profile that I will have to revisit. it limits your OAL options

Still shooting my poors 2011 that I can load all the way out to 1.250” for, so I’m hoping 220s feel decent in it. In a shorter chambered gun like a TSO pressure would spike higher/sooner (not too sure on which) and will likely make recoil feel worse. I’m hoping the heavier/slower bullets will help me get better at tracking my sights during recoil for faster follow up shots, but that might just be wishful thinking 

7 hours ago, Obvious said:

Still shooting my poors 2011 that I can load all the way out to 1.250” for, so I’m hoping 220s feel decent in it. In a shorter chambered gun like a TSO pressure would spike higher/sooner (not too sure on which) and will likely make recoil feel worse. I’m hoping the heavier/slower bullets will help me get better at tracking my sights during recoil for faster follow up shots, but that might just be wishful thinking 

Then by that logic (which is kind of flawed about the shorter chamber), you would be magnifying your issue by spiking pressures with a deeper seated projectile (aka heavy and longer into the case).

You need to try 165s and 180s if you want better luck tracking sights in my opinion. I thought the same exact thing at first. They may "feel" snappier but you'll find the sights can return quicker and if it's sprung right the muzzle Rise/dip is neglegent.

3 hours ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Then by that logic (which is kind of flawed about the shorter chamber), you would be magnifying your issue by spiking pressures with a deeper seated projectile (aka heavy and longer into the case).

You need to try 165s and 180s if you want better luck tracking sights in my opinion. I thought the same exact thing at first. They may "feel" snappier but you'll find the sights can return quicker and if it's sprung right the muzzle Rise/dip is neglegent.

I just got into reloading, so I’m still experimenting with what feels right and what shoots well+makes major PF. I’ve still got a ton to learn and sadly there aren’t many shops near me where I can just go buy a pack of 165 or 180 gr projectiles, most stuff has to be ordered online for me 

15 hours ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Hmmm I think 1.23 or 1.24 

While I started in IPSC shooting standard I was never good at it.  By the time I got my SV I was shooting revo and then jumped straight to open.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:43 AM, Warrior75 said:

180 gr.  coated bullet. 4.5 gr of sport pistol. 173 pf from my CZ.

What is your OAL? Ive been loading 4.5 of sport out to 1.123 or so, and got about your PF. I chrono'd everything in the winter though, and today I ran it through again. From about 171 PF down to 165. About a 25 degree difference warmer today too. I guess thats the "reverse temp sensitivity" people talk about with it

Edited by Guitarmageddon

On 3/24/2022 at 8:18 PM, Guitarmageddon said:

What is your OAL? Ive been loading 4.5 of sport out to 1.123 or so, and got about your PF. I chrono'd everything in the winter though, and today I ran it through again. From about 171 PF down to 165. About a 25 degree difference warmer today too. I guess thats the "reverse temp sensitivity" people talk about with it

The OAL I have been loading is 1.125. If I remember correctly it was about 80 degrees went I shot those through the chrono.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:55 PM, Obvious said:

I have rolled plenty 220gr (SNS) and 200gr (Blue)...I used Xtreme for some, but I do have that data handy:

Bullet      :    BB        BB           BB       SNS           SNS
Weight    :    200      200        200      220           220
Powder   :    N320    CS         AA#2    CFE          N320
Charge    :    4.5gr    4.00       3.90      4.1            3.4
Primer     :    500      FedSP    FedSP    FedSP    500
OAL         :    1.190”    1.186”    1.186”      1.19        1.186
PF           :    171        169.13    168.48    168.04   168.43

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 11:47 PM, yelpspoon said:

Bullet      :    BB        BB           BB       SNS           SNS
Weight    :    200      200        200      220           220
Powder   :    N320    CS         AA#2    CFE          N320
Charge    :    4.5gr    4.00       3.90      4.1            3.4
Primer     :    500      FedSP    FedSP    FedSP    500
OAL         :    1.190”    1.186”    1.186”      1.19        1.186
PF           :    171        169.13    168.48    168.04   168.43

May I ask what gun did you use for the test? And what is cs powder? Clean Shot?

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2022 at 9:37 PM, Obvious said:

new job so the money is being saved for now until the first paycheck hits, so no TSO yet but i've picked up some accurate no 2 locally and ordered some 220gr bullets from sns casting. Powder is so hard to come by around here I'm considering experimenting with some green dot shotgun powder because everyone warns of using a super fast powder like no 2 with such a heavy bullet. 

I began testing 40sw reloads in a TSO and a 1911 just a few weeks ago. I’m using Accurate No 2 and Blue 180s. 

Accurate’s data calls for a starting load of 4.6gr of No 2 but I started with 4 and it cycled the TSO just fine. YMMV but you should have lots of headroom to work up a safe load with that powder. 

I also loaded some 200s with a similar powder charge, 3.8 I think in fact, and they cycled fine as well. 

I read that a fast powder like No 2 is just what you want under a heavy bullet for soft recoil and I can attest that these feel like 9mm rounds. Just be conservative and work up and you’ll be fine with No 2.

8 minutes ago, xrayfk05 said:

If it feels like 9mm you are just nowhere near major PF with .40.

The only thing I read in your post is that it cycles, which is not what were are looking for.

OP asked about the softest shooting major round and I gave him my experience starting below the published data. Whether he finds that info useful is up to him, not you. 

No, I didn’t. 

Since I’m using the same gun and powder as him I thought I’d simply share my experience thus far. He can decide whether it influences his process or not. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2022 at 12:22 AM, Obvious said:

Ordered my 550C yesterday and dies to go with it. Next I’m gonna be ordering my bullets and powder. I’m leaning towards a 180 or 200 grain bullet for my 1911, when I tried 165s they just felt super snappy. I’m wondering what’s the go to powder for a heavier bullet? Do you want a fast or slower than average burn? I’m looking for the softest shooting major round first, and then I’ll probably work my way backwards to what cycles the gun faster and find a happy medium. What are the go to bullets around here? Forum/USPSA guys get discounts anywhere? 

Came back through this thread while looking at some other 40 load data.

Ever find something you like? 180gr blues over 4.6gr sport pistol have been a workhorse this season. 7500 rounds. Bout to test some of my clean shot out since I got a pound sitting here.