Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand new reloader looking to make .40 major PF, what’s the best bullet/powder combos?

Obvious

Ordered my 550C yesterday and dies to go with it. Next I’m gonna be ordering my bullets and powder. I’m leaning towards a 180 or 200 grain bullet for my 1911, when I tried 165s they just felt super snappy. I’m wondering what’s the go to powder for a heavier bullet? Do you want a fast or slower than average burn? I’m looking for the softest shooting major round first, and then I’ll probably work my way backwards to what cycles the gun faster and find a happy medium. What are the go to bullets around here? Forum/USPSA guys get discounts anywhere? 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

Wait a minute, this is the jorts guy!

That’s me :) finally bought a 550C, and soon a TSO in 40. Now I just need to figure out how the search function here works lol 

I use VVN320 and 180's for major, 165's for minor.  N320 is one of the most popular powders out there for competitive shooting if you can find it.  I haven't tried Sport Pistol powder in .40 yet, but it is delivering better results in 9mm for me than N320 does.  I think the biggest issue right now is:  What powder do you have access to?

13 minutes ago, Kletus said:

I use VVN320 and 180's for major, 165's for minor.  N320 is one of the most popular powders out there for competitive shooting if you can find it.  I haven't tried Sport Pistol powder in .40 yet, but it is delivering better results in 9mm for me than N320 does.  I think the biggest issue right now is:  What powder do you have access to?

Basically just whatever I can find online. No great reloading stores around me but I’m gonna start checking academy more often. I found N330 but it was like $52 for 1#

10 hours ago, Obvious said:

Forum/USPSA guys get discounts anywhere? 

Yes, Check the USPSA web site and they have a list with the coupon codes for discounts.

As far as powders go here's what I have found; for 9mm and 40 anything around the same burn rate as Sport Pistol, Clean Shot, N320, TG will work fine. Minor differences in how clean they burn and meter in a powder drop. When you're on the line under the clock no one really notices the differences. Right now the real issue with powders and primers is availability and that tends to be the deciding factor.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:05 AM, Obvious said:

Basically just whatever I can find online. No great reloading stores around me but I’m gonna start checking academy more often. I found N330 but it was like $52 for 1#

Midsouth has N320 for $43 but only 1 pound jugs. 

Edited by Farmer

5 hours ago, Farmer said:

Midsouth has N320 for $43 but only 1 pound jugs. 

My biggest problem has been hazmat+shipping brings $40 closer to $70 unless you add a bunch of extra stuff for free shipping. And nobody has primers in stock I can add on 

26 minutes ago, Obvious said:

My biggest problem has been hazmat+shipping brings $40 closer to $70 unless you add a bunch of extra stuff for free shipping. And nobody has primers in stock I can add on 

I thought you meant the other price was without the fondling fees. Sorry about that. I’m kinda in the same boat being in the middle of nowhere. 

4 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I thought you meant the other price was without the fondling fees. Sorry about that. I’m kinda in the same boat being in the middle of nowhere. 

Haha fondling fees, I’m gonna have to start using that. Yeah that price was without fees, it just sucks seeing prices nearly double because you don’t wanna buy 8# of powder to try out something lol. I’m brand new and personally would like to be able to buy a few 1# containers of different kinds of powders to see what I like the most, but the fondling fees nearly double the cost. Gonna have to start shopping around at the few stores I have locally and see when they get stuff in stock. 

I'll add my two cents since no one mentioned them yet, I use Brazos precision bullets for all my reloads. They're the cheapest on the market usually by a few cents per. Some people don't like them but I've loaded around 5k rounds of them so far without a hiccup. About 1k of those have been .40 through my TSO, no issues of any kind yet.  They sell by the pound, not by number, I assume to keep shipping simple. You can mess around with the amount you buy in order to get the best deal on shipping. For example, you can ship 4 bags for 14 bucks, but it also costs 14 to ship 3 or 2 bags, so buying 4 is the best deal. But to ship 5 bags it costs 21. Probably TMI, but check them out if you havn't already. 

• 2 weeks later...

N320 is one of the best. I use WST with Acme 180s. Watch the load recipes here on Enos, most are for long loaded .40. In a Tac Sport it might use a couple of tenths less powder.

1 hour ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Get the TSO or pick a powder yet? I am using blues 180gr RNFP and loving HP38, as well as sport pistol. N320 is also trusty. cant go wrong with either of those 3. hp38 was easiest to make PF with the heavier bullets

new job so the money is being saved for now until the first paycheck hits, so no TSO yet but i've picked up some accurate no 2 locally and ordered some 220gr bullets from sns casting. Powder is so hard to come by around here I'm considering experimenting with some green dot shotgun powder because everyone warns of using a super fast powder like no 2 with such a heavy bullet. 

7 minutes ago, z40acp said:

Are TSOs short chambered like the SP01s? Plunk test.

Yes as far as I'm aware basically all CZ's have a shorter chamber than all their similar 2011 counterparts.