Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Shooting Event in Next Olympics?

As much as I’d like that, the best I could see is maybe a PRS style match. But that would have its own hurdles, distance being a big one. I would imagine that international laws would play a big factor as well. 

I agree though, would be awesome. A lot of people have mentioned the desire to “air” events like nationals to promote and grow the sport but that’s up to the org to spearhead I believe

We don't need the Olympics and I'm not sure why we would want to be associated with that organization anyway. I think the corruption runs very deep within that group.

With regards to getting Nationals on TV, we've had Shooting USA do that for a number of years. But cable-tv, like print media is on its last legs. 

The future is streaming so everything can be done via the internet. Broadcasting Nationals would be simple but it would need some investment by the organization and we would need to ensure that we don't rely on 3rd party for any service. We have seen that access can be shutdown/censored at a whim by big-tech so we would need our own servers.

The rest of it is easy, we could sell advertising space on the broadcast to help offset the cost. It could easily attract viewers from around the world as it only requires an internet connection to watch, trying to do something like that with traditional tv broadcasting would be prohibitively expensive.

$20-30K initial outlay for the camera/sound gear + the server setup (not sure what that would run to) then maybe $5-10k per Nationals would seem reasonable for costs.

2 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

We don't need the Olympics and I'm not sure why we would want to be associated with that organization anyway. I think the corruption runs very deep within that group.

With regards to getting Nationals on TV, we've had Shooting USA do that for a number of years. But cable-tv, like print media is on its last legs. 

The future is streaming so everything can be done via the internet. Broadcasting Nationals would be simple but it would need some investment by the organization and we would need to ensure that we don't rely on 3rd party for any service. We have seen that access can be shutdown/censored at a whim by big-tech so we would need our own servers.

The rest of it is easy, we could sell advertising space on the broadcast to help offset the cost. It could easily attract viewers from around the world as it only requires an internet connection to watch, trying to do something like that with traditional tv broadcasting would be prohibitively expensive.

$20-30K initial outlay for the camera/sound gear + the server setup (not sure what that would run to) then maybe $5-10k per Nationals would seem reasonable for costs.

I agree with what you mentioned about the streaming. I should have worded it better. As a household with no cable and only streaming services, I know what you mean. I did happen to see a video of someone at 2gun. I would have to search for the link again but I think that was done sry well. Good commentary, let the viewers know who they were and where they stood, what it would take to hang on to the number one spot, and had a good understanding of the course of fire. Overall, I would happily watch that in a full episode. But it did bring light to the fact that it IS possible and it could very well bring new shooters to the sport. 

I think USPSA should provide something like this as a service to the members (and the IPSC community) and as a way to promote sponsorship of the sport by vendors. 

• Stage breakdown videos could be filmed in advance of the match with a top former competitor to break down the options.
  • Scores can be pulled in directly from a Practiscore API (I presume there is one) so the viewer can see the results on the screen at the end of the competitors run.
  • Each run would not be broadcast live, instead the video can be uploaded to a server and then either streamed out once the score is available (we could also allow the viewer to select which videos to watch via their browser). 
  • With multiple cameras spread out over the range this would allow for a constant stream of content rather than wait 2-3 minutes for each new video from a single squad.
  • Practiscore already has a kind of predictive score option to show the available points for each competitor, add a small enhancement to show what the next competitor has to do to change position on the leaderboard.
  • Online leaderboard.
  • Interviews with competitors after their stage run could also be shown.

I had some of this working 10 years ago, it would be a lot easier with the faster internet speeds that are now available.

All this sounds great to me and I’m sure tons of other members. I think it could be aired in a very similar format as something like football. With obvious differences of course. Like you mentioned, it wouldn’t be live per say, but close. Would be awesome to see something like a small mistake on a run like a ugly reload and show a slo-mo of it and explain to the viewers how this cost time. And like you said, use predictive scoring. Such as, XX needs to score a 92 in 10.2 seconds and this is how. 

could be some good entertainment for all and good video of skills breakdown for shooters to grow as well. I mean heck, poker and bowling is aired and that’s not exciting at all lol

Absolutely, some professionally produced match footage banked with a bit of commentary could go a long way too. Theres an old series called Hot Shots that follows Jerry and Max and some other pro shooters around for a few seasons. I've watched it a dozen times. Something like that applied to more modern media could reach audiences in a new way. 

Right now when you search up USPSA on YouTube theres nothing real great in the way of professionally produced match footage. Mostly guys who are positing their own stages which is fine, but very little of anything interesting in the way of commentary. I'd love to see a new initiative with USPSA media trying to do a more modernized take. Based on a lot of the recent conversations in podcasts and this thread, I don't think I'm alone in that desire. I'm interested to see where potential new leadership may go with this in the future. 

3 minutes ago, CC3D said:

Absolutely, some professionally produced match footage banked with a bit of commentary could go a long way too. Theres an old series called Hot Shots that follows Jerry and Max and some other pro shooters around for a few seasons. I've watched it a dozen times. Something like that applied to more modern media could reach audiences in a new way. 

Right now when you search up USPSA on YouTube theres nothing real great in the way of professionally produced match footage. Mostly guys who are positing their own stages which is fine, but very little of anything interesting in the way of commentary. I'd love to see a new initiative with USPSA media trying to do a more modernized take. Based on a lot of the recent conversations in podcasts and this thread, I don't think I'm alone in that desire. I'm interested to see where potential new leadership may go with this in the future. 

The personal match stuff is great but doesn’t show off the sport. Just shows off the person in the sport. Which brings in a few people but not everyone. I think people also need to see that there is a division and classification for everyone. 

you also got the exact opposite… the IG superhero shooting videos. Record shattering draws and splits but never pans over to show a target. Makes you wonder if there even is one lol. That doesn’t necessarily help the sport either.  

Exactly! Trust me I love watching match breakdowns and seeing people blast through stages. I eat that up. But the sport itself has a lot more nuance when you factor in the competition aspect, why certain competitors chose one stage plan over another, how one decision helped or hurt time/ points etc. I know nationals were live-streamed this year, that's a step in the right direction. Some simple commentary or even live updates could spice it up a bit. 

I've heard the argument that the sport doesn't translate well to the screen, and is better enjoyed by participating. There may be something to that, but we somehow managed to make other sports like golf watchable, I'm sure we could do it with USPSA. 

There’s a ton of podcasts talking about this topic. I’d argue that watching the pros on the tv would be better than in person, if I were just a fan. You got to admit, the on deck butterflies are awesome and the run is great but stage reset isn’t fun lol. It could be a hit on tv though showing all the good times. 

football is the same way though in my opinion. I used to enjoy watching it on tv seeing the replays and watching the marker draw it out on the screen. But when I went to a game in person, it was fun because my wife took me but the game was meh. I was cold, sun was in my eyes for almost a quarter, and my wallet was thinning quick paying for beers to keep warm lol. The experience was fun but the game itself wasn’t. I think a lot can be taken away from that 

37 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

You got to admit, the on deck butterflies are awesome and the run is great but stage reset isn’t fun lol. It could be a hit on tv though showing all the good times.  

Agreed, and that’s why the direct ‘live-streaming’ approach does not work. Live-streaming was being tried around 2010-2011 and it did not fare well because most of it was boring. It takes a few seconds to shoot a stage but maybe 1-2 minutes to score and reset, so much of it was ‘dead air’.  

Only the action from ‘standby’ to ‘upload and show clear’ needs to be recorded. It is that video that gets uploaded to the server for presentation.

It will only get streamed out once the time and score have been pulled in from Practiscore (1-2 minutes later).

I’m astonished that USPSA/IPSC has not gone this route for covering their major championships. With LiveShots I had over 37,000 people from over the world watching the 2014 World Shoot (article).

There’s a debate on some podcasts saying that the last president didn’t do well for his obvious reasons that doesn’t need to be gotten into but one thing he did well was bring in CO. This argument holds some truth as CO is extremely popular. It arguably brought me back (more or less off the couch saying “I want to get back into it”). I sure do hope the future president does the same and uses technology to promote the sport. 

growing the sport is good for everyone as long as the ranges can handle it. Could pose a problem for some lvl 1 matches/ranges I’d guess. But overall, it’s a win to grow. 

4 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

There’s a debate on some podcasts saying that the last president didn’t do well for his obvious reasons that doesn’t need to be gotten into but one thing he did well was bring in CO. This argument holds some truth as CO is extremely popular. It arguably brought me back (more or less off the couch saying “I want to get back into it”). I sure do hope the future president does the same and uses technology to promote the sport. 

growing the sport is good for everyone as long as the ranges can handle it. Could pose a problem for some lvl 1 matches/ranges I’d guess. But overall, it’s a win to grow. 

To be fair he championed PCC also. That is enough to negate anything positive he might have done.😏

Phil Strader bought in Carry Optics as a provisional division.

Live coverage of our matches should be provided by USPSA as a service to its members, so we can all get to watch and appreciate the top competitors at our premier events. Whether it brings in new members or not is (in my opinion) a side issue.

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

To be fair he championed PCC also. That is enough to negate anything positive he might have done.😏

Hey hey. I’m building a PCC 😜 All the IG videos I mentioned earlier got to me and I had to try one out hahahaha. 

7 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

Phil Strader bought in Carry Optics as a provisional division.

Live coverage of our matches should be provided by USPSA as a service to its members, so we can all get to watch and appreciate the top competitors at our premier events. Whether it brings in new members or not is (in my opinion) a side issue.

Got ya. Thank you for the clarification. My mistake. 

And I agree. It should be funded by the USPSA. Some of the little guys, like me, won’t be spending the money it takes to travel to some of the big ticket matches because of work or funds but would love a professional video of the match that’s entertaining. 

14 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

As much as I’d like that, the best I could see is maybe a PRS style match.

I love shooting long range but watching it is like watching paint dry. I've seen some very well produced PRS and NRL videos, and no amount of editing, commentary, interviews or slo-mo can make the shooting interesting to watch.

That said, have you ever seen any of the 3GN episodes from back in the good old days? Some pretty well done, interesting and fast paced action in those shows. But 3GN had it's problems and network TV had it's issues with the scary guns. It's interesting to think how it would've gone if it debuted in the era of streaming.

2 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I love shooting long range but watching it is like watching paint dry. I've seen some very well produced PRS and NRL videos, and no amount of editing, commentary, interviews or slo-mo can make the shooting interesting to watch.

That said, have you ever seen any of the 3GN episodes from back in the good old days? Some pretty well done, interesting and fast paced action in those shows. But 3GN had it's problems and network TV had it's issues with the scary guns. It's interesting to think how it would've gone if it debuted in the era of streaming.

I could defiantly see how streaming may still be an issue with the negative misconception of firearms currently. That may be part of the fear. Dump money into something to may get canned from viewing. 

If USPSA had their own server(s) then they can’t be blocked/censored. This is what Gab did when big-tech shut them down.

All those people that post their shooting videos and podcasts on YouTube need to have a backup plan. I got flack many years ago for not using YouTube to host LiveShots, I saw the potential issues and kept my distance.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:53 PM, teejay said:

How would the shooting community go about adding action Shooting event to Olympics? 

I'd love too see the 4K slow mo replays with brass raining down, mag changes, commentators, oh man that would be exciting to watch.

LOL

It ain't ever gonna happen.

In fact, I would be surprised if there is any shooting beyond air rifles and air pistols left within 10 years.