Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DLC COATED MAGS

chase214

I did this years ago when I was getting different parts coated by Ionbond to see the different color and finish options.  I think any advantage might depend on the shooter, ie reloading ease or speed.  I can say though they have been dropped and used quite a bit and the finish is still perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DodgeNerd said:

Would it be worth getting USED mbx mags coated ? Dlc or Nitrided?

Nitriding isn't a coating.  It's a case hardening heat treatment.  It's a completely inappropriate process for thin, sheetmetal parts unless you want them to be ultra hard and brittle through its entire thickness.  On top of that any plating that may be on your magazines would have to be reverese-plated or sandblasted off for nitriding to work.

• 8 months later...
On 2/13/2022 at 3:35 PM, chase214 said:

is there any advantage to getting mags DLC coated and how durable is it

Not worth it on a mag IMO. We drop them in rocks and dirt and personally I just get sad when the finish gets damaged.

standard finish is what I prefer although the DLC mags do look snazzy.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:26 PM, CalTeacher said:

I use DLC coated mags and the finish still looks great after a year.  With my all black Venom Customs gun and black base pads, the mags look fantastic.

Let’s be honest, looks are like 50% of your score.

This ^^^

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 11:26 PM, CalTeacher said:

I use DLC coated mags and the finish still looks great after a year.  With my all black Venom Customs gun and black base pads, the mags look fantastic.

Let’s be honest, looks are like 50% of your score.

+1 MBX DLC Mags, But I "polished" to get black mirror finish.  

Depending on how the surface of the mag tube was prepped before DLC, it can result in a surface friction that is higher than desired. In my experience, DLC coated mags do have a higher friction than non-DLC coated mags. This translated to a little more "Stickiness" of the mag within the grip when trying to drop an empty mag during a reload.

The other thing to consider is that DLC coating is only as durable as the metal underneath. The sheet metal used for mag tubes isn't very hard from a rockwell perspective and really shouldn't be or they would crack like crazy. When DLC is used on mag tubes they will scratch and nick easier than harder rockwell metal parts like frames and slides.

If you are looking to spend extra $$$ on DLC Mag Tubes to increase durability, don't waste your money because the metal is too soft to really make any difference. If you like having black mags because they "Look Better" then DLC will achieve that goal.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, CHA-LEE said:

If you are looking to spend extra $$$ on DLC Mag Tubes to increase durability, don't waste your money because the metal is too soft to really make any difference. If you like having black mags because they "Look Better" then DLC will achieve that goal.

I have one Atlas DLC mag and this mirrors my experience. I just wanted a black big stick 😆

• 2 weeks later...

When I ordered new mags for my open gun last year I got the DLC Atlas 170s. I doubt there are any actual benefits to the coating. They do look cool to me and since I ain't winning a match I may as well look cool while loosing. It's like riding a rigid frame harley with an open primary and kick start only. You don't build the bike for comfort. You build it because it looks cool.