Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC Carbine aftermarket barrel (Taccom3g)

On 2/2/2022 at 8:29 PM, Texaspaul said:

Mine is on it's way - can't wait to give it a try!

please keep us informed when you try it out. I’m particularly interested in chrono comparisons between the stock barrel and this one. How much of a velocity drop off can we expect. I’m hoping it will drop down into the same range as my pistols so I can use the same load in everything. 

Cuz - I do not chrono my guns - do not need to for steel challenge and do not have a facility do it at the moment - sorry.  It was fairly simple to swap out the pieces. I followed Tim's advice and soaked the Ruger receiver in the oven for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees to loosen the screws and it worked perfectly.  I did have to shave the bolt hold open lever to get it to fit correctly - but that was simple with a Dremel tool.  Went to work today at Shoot Point Blank and after work gave it a run on our range. Run 10 strings of 5 shots at my practice target at 15 yards. My first 5 were sight in and produced a 1-inch hole leaning against the lane wall for support only.  Enough accuracy for my needs!  The gun ran 100% with no issues on factory 115 ammo.  I tried some low power factor hand loads with CCI 41 primers and to the previous issue with the Ruger not having enough firing pin power to fire the hard primers, it did not change. I will have to run pistol primers in the Ruger.

The gun weighs 5.48 lbs. on my scale with Up-riser chasse, MFT stock and mil spec buffer tube, Taccom barrel assembly, Taccom G-10 lightweight hand guard and Vortex Venom with UTG co-witness riser.  The gun moves very fast with most of the weight centered between the hands compared to the  heavy stock Ruger barrel.  Maybe Tim will build a chasse similar to the 10/22 chasse for the PC??????? 

I am pleased enough with the gun to give it a run at a SC match this weekend - will let you know how it went!  

Edited by Texaspaul

It's great hearing the feed back on these barrels!!! Everyone that used the oven had zero issues. As for the the chrony on the 5.25" vs factory.......you can expect 100fps drop, maybe 150fps with factory 115s. Way less with 124's and 147's

Tim

6 hours ago, TRUBL said:

It's great hearing the feed back on these barrels!!! Everyone that used the oven had zero issues. As for the the chrony on the 5.25" vs factory.......you can expect 100fps drop, maybe 150fps with factory 115s. Way less with 124's and 147's

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I think if I end up getting about a 50 fps drop with 124 gr bullets that will bring it down much closer to the pistols.  Seems like this may be easier than trying to keep track of two different loads, one for PCC and another for the pistols.

On 2/8/2022 at 6:52 PM, Texaspaul said:

Cuz - I do not chrono my guns - do not need to for steel challenge and do not have a facility do it at the moment - sorry.  It was fairly simple to swap out the pieces. I followed Tim's advice and soaked the Ruger receiver in the oven for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees to loosen the screws and it worked perfectly.  I did have to shave the bolt hold open lever to get it to fit correctly - but that was simple with a Dremel tool.  Went to work today at Shoot Point Blank and after work gave it a run on our range. Run 10 strings of 5 shots at my practice target at 15 yards. My first 5 were sight in and produced a 1-inch hole leaning against the lane wall for support only.  Enough accuracy for my needs!  The gun ran 100% with no issues on factory 115 ammo.  I tried some low power factor hand loads with CCI 41 primers and to the previous issue with the Ruger not having enough firing pin power to fire the hard primers, it did not change. I will have to run pistol primers in the Ruger.

The gun weighs 5.48 lbs. on my scale with Up-riser chasse, MFT stock and mil spec buffer tube, Taccom barrel assembly, Taccom G-10 lightweight hand guard and Vortex Venom with UTG co-witness riser.  The gun moves very fast with most of the weight centered between the hands compared to the  heavy stock Ruger barrel.  Maybe Tim will build a chasse similar to the 10/22 chasse for the PC??????? 

I am pleased enough with the gun to give it a run at a SC match this weekend - will let you know how it went!  

awesome! any chance we can get a photo of your setup? sounds like a nice rig!

Texaspaul, full disclosure, I've never shot a Ruger PCC, so forgive my ignorance.  How is the recoil in sub 5 1/2 lbs Ruger PCC? 

I got my blowback AR-9 close to 6 lbs and the recoil impulse was pretty harsh (JP GMR-15 with 2 tungsten and 3 SS weights in the SCS with a medium spring).  I had to switch from 3 tungsten/2 SS and a heavy spring when I replaced the factory trigger with a Hyperfire Eclipse due to the heavy hammer reset.

cferree - Your GRM-15 and the PC-9 are mechanically the same only configured different. The 15 has a captured buffer system and BCG and the PC-9 has a bolt with an integrated weight with recoil spring.  The weight of the bolt systems on the PC-9 should be around 22oz.   It is recommended to have a combined traveling weight from 20 to 24 oz. for AR-9 platform. If you were shooting the same bullet, I would assume the mechanical recoil for the 15 to be less just due to the gun weight difference only slightly.  I would say they would be very close.

Recoil is magical - LOL! If you noticed I said earlier mechanical recoil and not just recoil.  There is another recoil I call perceived or felt recoil and this depends on many different things.  This can be modified by different styles of buffers to how the gun fits to your body. Thousands of variants and options. This discussion would be a topic in itself.

So, if you are looking for my thoughts and reading between the lines - buying a PC-9 to cut recoil is not my suggestion.  

To me Tim's barrel system has vastly improved the PC-9 handling for SC.

I sighted in the rifle with the new barrel yesterday.  Recoil was definitely different.  The rifle also moves a bit more but it did not seem hard to bring it back quickly.  I am shooting a steel challenge match this weekend.  The match is 6 stages and I need .13 seconds to make B classification.  It will be interesting to see what my times look like.  

Had a 6 stage match with the new barrel.  I shot 3 matches with the stock barrel and this was my 4th.  I am a low B in RFRO and was .13 seconds from a low B with the PCC.  I was able to shave 3.71 seconds off 5 to go, Showdown and Accelerator.  The rifle definitely felt better and handled more like my 10/22 with the weight reduction.  I did have a little trouble on roundabout. I had 2 stovepipes.   It is possible that with the shorter barrel I am not getting the slide to cycle completely.  I will bump up my charge just a hair and see what happens.  When I test fired the rifle earlier in the week I did also have 1 stovepipe.  

I also shot a 3 stage uspsa match earlier in the week.  No stovepipes and the only issue I had was all me.  Failed to engage a target on one stage and failed to take off the safety on another.  Moron.  Stage 1 was perfect.  

• 3 weeks later...

This is awesome - I'm glad they are investing and developing for this platform.  The Ruger PC is a very good platform which has a lot of benefits (value, simplicity, very very flat out of the box, etc).  The biggest issue is the fire control system - I tried what was out there and settled on the TC9.  Huge improvement over the stock trigger but not quite what you'll find in a stock Hiperfire ECL in a traditional AR platform.  That being said, my Ruger PC with few mods was good enough for 2nd in PCC at Area 8 a couple years ago - with an actual talented shooter, I'm sure it would have done better.

23 hours ago, rpm8300 said:

This is awesome - I'm glad they are investing and developing for this platform.  The Ruger PC is a very good platform which has a lot of benefits (value, simplicity, very very flat out of the box, etc).  The biggest issue is the fire control system - I tried what was out there and settled on the TC9.  Huge improvement over the stock trigger but not quite what you'll find in a stock Hiperfire ECL in a traditional AR platform.  That being said, my Ruger PC with few mods was good enough for 2nd in PCC at Area 8 a couple years ago - with an actual talented shooter, I'm sure it would have done better.

Hi, at that time were you running the stock barrel and hand guard?   

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2022 at 4:45 PM, Jstaude86 said:

I just installed the ulw barrel on my ruger pcc and it’s seems the accuracy is horrible compared to the factory set up. Anyone else notice a big difference in accuracy?

MAYBE.....you should talk to TACCOM first?

• 2 weeks later...

I made a custom shrouded barrel before Taccom offered theirs.  It was a PITA process.   Would prefer replacing the mounting lug approach that Tim uses.     When I wear it out, I'll be buying one of the Taccom for sure.  I have the new XLW on my AR9 platform.   

Here is my Ruger PCC 

image.thumb.png.bc2893a14d21513f6e13e124c32aeeba.png

Edited by jrdoran
  • 1 month later...

I would like to apologize to Tim! I should have known better to come to social media and make comments before talking to Tim at taccom. I genuinely apologize. Tim immediately reached out to me after my post (which I regret making) which says a lot and offered to send me a new barrel. Gun runs great now and I am forever a taccom customer. One more time… Tim I am truly sorry and I also apologize to anyone else that works there and puts in the time to make nice products.