Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying an Akai Open Gun

LmtdOne

I saw one kill itself on the range after 6000ish rounds. Barrel was too heavy due to the tungsten sleeve according to a local smith and it beat itself to death and sheared the barrel lugs and also made the slide unusable. 

Complete loss. Zero support from Akai. 

There’s a reason why no one runs them anymore. Also why no one will talk about them openly it seems. 

On 3/10/2022 at 7:03 PM, geraldskip said:

I saw one kill itself on the range after 6000ish rounds. Barrel was too heavy due to the tungsten sleeve according to a local smith and it beat itself to death and sheared the barrel lugs and also made the slide unusable. 

Complete loss. Zero support from Akai. 

There’s a reason why no one runs them anymore. Also why no one will talk about them openly it seems. 

Was it a KKM barrel? Bc i had one crack inside the rifling after 9000 rounds and apparently there was a batch of KKM barrels that a bunch of builders used that had similar issues. Was a tungsten sleeved barrel as well and it was said the barrels werent heat treated properly. KKM even put out a statement trying to deny such allegation. I sent the gun back to Akai and replaced it with the same barrel made by Kart with a new titanium comp free of charge in about 2 weeks time. 

28 minutes ago, war_material said:

Got mine early I ordered a precut. So far 

I am glad you like your Akai. How long have you had your gun? How many rounds have you put through it? Open or limited gun?

1 hour ago, LmtdOne said:

I am glad you like your Akai. How long have you had your gun? How many rounds have you put through it? Open or limited gun?

Still developing loads so about 200. When you find the right load it shoots with very little dot movement and lights out accurate. Trigger is amazing and I am running atlas magazines. This is on a 9 major open. 

79D44401-04B2-4CF0-B6A5-3967CEBE8958.jpeg

24 minutes ago, war_material said:

Still developing loads so about 200. When you find the right load it shoots with very little dot movement and lights out accurate. Trigger is amazing and I am running atlas magazines. This is on a 9 major open. 

79D44401-04B2-4CF0-B6A5-3967CEBE8958.jpeg

What loads are you using? C.o.a.l.?

What loads are you using? C.o.a.l.?

I’m set right now for precision delta JHP 124gr over 8gr Hs6 at 1.135 coal. It’s money for me and of course case gage. I bought roll sized brass. I load with d1050, lee u die and Redding competition seating die. 

27 minutes ago, war_material said:

I’m set right now for precision delta JHP 124gr over 8gr Hs6 at 1.135 coal. It’s money for me and of course case gage. I bought roll sized brass. I load with d1050, lee u die and Redding competition seating die. 

Nice. I am at the same charge of HS6 but with a Montana Gold 124 gr JHP. I am having Akai ream my chamber longer to accept 1.165 so that I can load the same length for all of my Open guns.

49 minutes ago, war_material said:

You're able to make major with only 8gr of HS-6 with a v6 middy with a KKM? I only ask because I have the same gun, down to the slide cuts, and it takes at least 8.6 with 8.8 to stay 170-175ish which keeps the dot moving straight up and down. It still leaves the glass, but I think that happens no matter what load one uses.

Edited by chrisstophere

12 minutes ago, chrisstophere said:

You're able to make major with only 8gr of HS-6 with a v6 middy with a KKM? I only ask because I have the same gun, down to the slide cuts, and it takes at least 8.6 with 8.8 to stay 170-175ish which keeps the dot moving straight up and down. It still leaves the glass, but I think that happens no matter what load one uses.

My gun is a little different from yours. I have an Infinity Hybrid barrel in mine so a little different, less poppel holes.

Nice. I am at the same charge of HS6 but with a Montana Gold 124 gr JHP. I am having Akai ream my chamber longer to accept 1.165 so that I can load the same length for all of my Open guns.

I will get it reamed when I send it after 3k rounds for inspection. For now this load works and I have no other open guns I need to keep a longer oal for. Feeds fine so far so I will keep with it until I send it for reaming. Yeah this barrel has a short throat for sure! Makes me wonder if I can load longer with the new pd jhp bullets

49 minutes ago, war_material said:

I will get it reamed when I send it after 3k rounds for inspection. For now this load works and I have no other open guns I need to keep a longer oal for. Feeds fine so far so I will keep with it until I send it for reaming. Yeah this barrel has a short throat for sure! Makes me wonder if I can load longer with the new pd jhp bullets

Akai's throats are very shallow. Shay explained that other bullet profiles would plunk just fine but the design of the MG has a shoulder that extends quite a ways out which requires loading shorter or reaming the chamber. Could be the same with your bullet profile.

24 minutes ago, LmtdOne said:

Akai's throats are very shallow. Shay explained that other bullet profiles would plunk just fine but the design of the MG has a shoulder that extends quite a ways out which requires loading shorter or reaming the chamber. Could be the same with your bullet profile.

that makes sense why the pd needs to be loaded so short. What bullets plunk good at 1.165 you reckon?

27 minutes ago, LmtdOne said:

There is no excuse for that in a 9MAJOR gun. 

12 minutes ago, war_material said:

I was gonna try Everglades

Probably a round nose bullet but I say just have him ream it to where ya need it for YOUR bullet and shoot until you heart is content.