Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder die threads question

Hope I can explain/ask this properly:

When I set up my Dillon powder die and powder drop for rifle (30-06 and .223) I have to thread down the die to just before it show any threads under the tool head, otherwise if I lower it more the bell crank (plastic cube) travels all the way to the right side (open) but the handle only goes about half way and the cases get destroyed and that is with just a bit of threads showing so I back off to no threads showing and we are in business. Now, watching videos of people reloading .223 as well they have a good amount of thread showing under the tool head as well as with .308 and even 30.06.   Am I doing something wrong?   is my handle travel stroke wrong?    I tried with no dies in the tool head other than the powder die and same issue.....again. I can only set up my die to not show threads for the powder drop to work properly, suggestions?   I called Dillon and they said that the die has to be adjusted up or down depending on caliber but when I explained it was with .223 and what it was doing the gentleman said that was strange and never heard ot it. We went over the set up and he belive I was doing it right...no explanation

my 550 tool head used to load .223. The powder die does not thread all the way through  ( likes about two threads to be even with bottom). That is how you adjust it.

so some calibers will go past the tool head .some will not. this is normal/correct.

20 minutes ago, AHI said:

my 550 tool head used to load .223. The powder die does not thread all the way through  ( likes about two threads to be even with bottom). That is how you adjust it.

so some calibers will go past the tool head .some will not. this is normal/correct.

thanks for the reply. Was just wondering because I have seen Videos of guys reloading .223 and they actually have a good amount showing past the bottom of the tool head. In fact, they grab the doe from under the tool head to continue to adjust down