Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget Setup For Carry Optics

BamaShooter88

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many choices...I got to say the Canik looks like a great answer for budget getting started.  I've run through M&P CORE, Glock MOS, Walther Q5 SF, and an now starting to use a Beretta 92x RDO. No gun has made me better or really worse after some practice.  Optic...not budget, but SRO seems to be the best. 3 Vortex venoms died on my M&P (great warranty-all replaced free), and switched to a Romeo3 XL on my Glock...great optic, but it is too big to fit on my Beretta. Trying out a Swampfox Justice green dot...I like it (reasonably big window, very inexpensive if you get a discount code, like We Like Shooting has. 50,000 round warranty), but durability unknown. Not a bad budget choice-3 MOA dot very bright even in sun. Enjoy. 

58 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

wut is your preference? 

I have always preferred the feel of glocks and cz’s. I really want a shadow 2 but after buying the gun, optic and holster I would be well over $2k. I was thinking canik to get started cheap. I’m afraid I’ll regret it though and wish I had just went with the cz.

35 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

I have always preferred the feel of glocks and cz’s. I really want a shadow 2 but after buying the gun, optic and holster I would be well over $2k. I was thinking canik to get started cheap. I’m afraid I’ll regret it though and wish I had just went with the cz.

If you always like Glocks, why not just get a Glock? And if you already have a production gun, the most budget option is a dovetail mount. You could do that and if you decide you love it and want a dedicated gun you are only out $30 for a plate, and if you hate it a plate and a dot is an easy sell

1 hour ago, BamaShooter88 said:

I’m leaning towards getting a Glock 34 mos. I’m just afraid I’ll regret not saving a little more and getting a shadow 2. 

I went with a 17. With a dot no advantage to the longer sight radius. Gives you a few extra donuts in the budget for the dot, which I recommend.

Something I would keep in mind is the grip angle of Glocks versus just about every other gun. If you have many glocks and prefer the Glock grip angle I would go Glock. If you intend to get serious and do not have or use Glocks on a regular basis I would go a different route. The reason being is guys that have spent a lot of time and energy creating muscle memory to shot Glocks accurately and fast end up having issues when changing platforms. Their muscle memory creates issues indexing with any other grip angle properly. Even after training with the new platform they still revert to the old grip from time to time. Most guns have 1911 grip angles or are pretty close to a 1911 grip angle. 

Sig P320, Canik, Walther, are all great options for that price point. I would honestly tried to find a way to shoot all of them and figure out which one agrees with you best. 

16 hours ago, ddc said:

I think every time I've wanted something that was a little more than I really wanted to spend and then settled for something cheaper I've regretted it.

If you think this may truly be the case with this purchase, I would shoot a CZ before I sink that kind of money into it.  If you love it, buy it.  You will get almost as mush as you payed for it when you go to sell it.  That cannot be said for most plastic guns.

image.png.581854498cf889cc1ae6fb2e331bfe84.png

Here's a list of most popular guns used at the 2020 USPSA Nationals in Carry Optics.  P320X5 Legion was also a top firearm used at the IDPA nationals in CO.  I just bought an Atlas Athena for IDPA and I'm still trying to decide whether I like it better than my Q5 Match SF with the Walther performance trigger and sear.  The Walther is a great gun and the performance trigger/sear combo really brings it alive.  Only issue with the trigger is that the blade safety requires a little tuning or it can lock up the trigger on a non-perfect trigger pull.  A little delicate surgery and it is perfect.

Edited by Kletus

On 1/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, BamaShooter88 said:

Think about it this way, the investment in the gun itself really isn't the big cost, although it's the initial outlay.

You will spend significantly more in ammo, match fees, travel and other supplies to get going. If you are doing it "right", lol, or maybe doing it a lot, then the cost of the gun shouldn't be an obstacle or a regret. Go get the Canik, shoot the hell out of it, enjoy it, and use the savings to do two things: 1. Shoot more this year, and 2. Put some away to go get a CZ down the road. Eventually you'll hit the point where you can sell the Canik, and combine that with putting some cash away, and getting the CZ. Until then though, you'll be out shooting, having fun, and really deciding if CO is the division you want to stay in.  

Go look at the classifieds here, and see what comparable used guns, Glock/Canik or whatever are going for, so you have a benchmark.

On 1/30/2022 at 5:04 PM, BamaShooter88 said:

I’m leaning towards getting a Glock 34 mos. I’m just afraid I’ll regret not saving a little more and getting a shadow 2. 

I actually was able to get a G35.5 off this forum completely setup for CO for $1,000. Very happy with the setup and believe it will serve me well for years to come. There are deals out there, you just need to decide what you want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:11 AM, Kletus said:

image.png.581854498cf889cc1ae6fb2e331bfe84.png

Here's a list of most popular guns used at the 2020 USPSA Nationals in Carry Optics.  P320X5 Legion was also a top firearm used at the IDPA nationals in CO.  I just bought an Atlas Athena for IDPA and I'm still trying to decide whether I like it better than my Q5 Match SF with the Walther performance trigger and sear.  The Walther is a great gun and the performance trigger/sear combo really brings it alive.  Only issue with the trigger is that the blade safety requires a little tuning or it can lock up the trigger on a non-perfect trigger pull.  A little delicate surgery and it is perfect.

That graphic is awesome! I wonder how great the G34 is that it needed to be counted twice!

I went Glock, but I’m a Glock guy. I had a 34MOS, but the SRO optic was a little too close to the ejection port and kept getting dirty, so I got a regular 17 and sent the slide out to be milled all the way back. I like this setup much better. 

I think it really depends on what fits your hands ergonomically and is in your budget. For under $1K total, I would say either a G34 or Canik with a Holosun. I've seen a lot of good shooters run a budget gun like the two mentioned and shoot very well. If it fits the hand and the budget, the amount of dry fire and live fire practice you have behind it will build the skill needed to do well at matches. 

On 1/30/2022 at 3:52 PM, BamaShooter88 said:

I am wanting to get a gun for carry optics. I’m hoping to stay under $1k for just the gun itself. I would be willing to spend more if it would make a good difference. What do you recommend and why?

CZ P-10F Optics Ready, Trijicon SRO, Henning +3 basepads and done.

Once you try a striker fired CZ, you won't want a Glock ever again.  Mine has taken me to A class pretty easily and it isn't why I'm not in M class.  More to the point, it is very reliable, it fits my hand like a glove, and it points exactly where I look with almost no effort.

Don't waste your money on the P-10F Competition.  The extras that it comes with either are useless in CO (mag base plates), add little to no value (TiN coated barrel), you can add yourself (HBI trigger and extended mag release), or are counterproductive (extended slide stop)

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

This may be an oddball reason but it was my reason, I went with sig because I carry a sig. @rustychevmentioned the same thing with the glock platform. My carry gun that I was comfortable with had a x series grip so the x5 was a logical option for me. And the price point was workable being under $1K. Also gave me the ability to steal some of my full size mags from my carry to blend over to the competition side. It made my training easier and when I go to carry, a few minutes of dry fire gets my brain switched over to the feel of the smaller grip length. 

Just something to consider if you carry. Best of luck. 

29 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

This may be an oddball reason but it was my reason, I went with sig because I carry a sig. @rustychev

I don't think it is oddball at all.

I always match my carry and competition pistols, so the carry gun is the midsized version of the big one.  When I switched from a P-09 to a P-10F for matches, I liked the P-10 so much that I bought a P-10C to replace the P-07 that I was carrying.

As you pointed out, there are a lot of upsides to that approach.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo