Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165 vs 180

Cowguy

40 minutes ago, Nc1911 said:

If the power factor is the same the recoil will be the same.

The  perceived recoil my feel different , meaning a bit more snappy with the lighter bullet but total recoil is the same.

This isn't quite true, to achieve the same power factor with a lighter bullet, you need to add more powder.   That means that there is more mass going out the muzzle that doesn't count towards power factor.   While the total recoil impulse is higher, the snappiness of the impulse being applied faster, is probably a much bigger factor in perceived recoil.

The mass of the bullet is a constant.  More powder doesn't change that.  What it does change is the pressure, which is not the same thing.

As for felt recoil, the only variable that reduces felt recoil for the same caliber/bullet combination is the burn rate of the powder.  That's why for a Limited gun with no comp the general consensus is that fast powder/heavy bullet equals less felt recoil.  If you don't believe me, go to the SAAMI web site and check the formula for yourself.

2 hours ago, outerlimits said:

Shot my 6” .40 with 180’s for years.  Tried 165’s and what I really notice is how sluggish the slide moves with 180’s.  165’s bring that front sight back a bit faster.  YMMV.

^^^^^^ This.  165s hit the hard a little harder, but muzzle rise is less, and sights return faster.  My splits were definitely faster when I switched to 165s.  I tried 155s, but my gun didn't like them at major PF.

6 hours ago, outerlimits said:

Shot my 6” .40 with 180’s for years.  Tried 165’s and what I really notice is how sluggish the slide moves with 180’s.  165’s bring that front sight back a bit faster.  YMMV.

I tried 165, 180 & 200 with my 6” 40 limited and noticed the same

165 were much snappier, 180-200 the slide felt sluggish, but that also might be a open shooter thing

14 hours ago, outerlimits said:

Ditto, feels like a cathunk cathunk,,,, I rn precision 170's in my 6 inch gun, right around 1000 fps,,, I also ran American eagle 165's at 1020... when I needed factory ammo. 
Although I admit I was an also ran,,, so it was just going on feel, never put the heavier bullet son the clock... at the times bullets were getting godawful expensive and only a few companies made coated, no lube bullets, the precision molly 170's were cheaper than most on the market.

pick one and go shoot.     If you are just starting out . You most likely wont be able to tell the difference. If both are loaded to the same PF. Both loaded with the same powder.

Unless you have both side by side. At this point you just won't be able to tell the difference.

Edited by AHI

7 minutes ago, AHI said:

pick one and go shoot.     If you are just starting out . You most likely wont be able to tell the difference. If both are loaded to the same PF. Both loaded with the same powder.

Unless you have both side by side. At this point you just won't be able to tell the difference.

This is the best advice given so far.

There are so many other things to confuse you, like spring combinations, radius on firing pin stops and powder choices!,

Shot plenty of both and there are positives for each.  I concur that the 165's are snappier with quick front sight return to target, while the 180's (with a relatively fast powder) are more of a push.  It just depends on your preference.  Test some of each, pick one load, zero it and go shoot.

Keep in mind that the 180's will often impact a little higher than the 165 loads with a fairly comparable charge weight.

21 hours ago, Nc1911 said:

“That means that there is more mass going out the muzzle”

If so, please explain how more powder changes the mass of the bullet?

t doesn't change the mass of the bullet.    It does change the mass of the combustion gasses that follow the bullet out of the barrel.

29 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

t doesn't change the mass of the bullet.    It does change the mass of the combustion gasses that follow the bullet out of the barrel.

It does make a detectable difference, too—a 160gr revolver minor load over Clays is softer than a 160gr minor load over CFE Pistol, all else being equal, enough that you notice if you're shooting slow and paying attention.

I haven't tried a similar pair of loads in a semi-auto, though. The slide hitting the stops might be enough to overwhelm it.