Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm resizing trouble

JayDee

Hi all,

I have recently started reloading 10mm. I have a Glock 10 mm long slide and have been experimenting with loads. I have in the past loaded tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm and 40 caliber but this is my first 10mm experiment. 

I am having a helluva time getting even half the case resized. Have stopped out of concern re stuck cases. 

my brass measures .420” at the mouth and .422” at the web, slightly undersized from spec (.423” per hornady 9th ed.)

my once fired brass is .425” at the mouth and .433” (!) at the web. 

when I try to size the lubed brass, the die is sizing the mouth to .418” and gets bound about halfway to the base.

I have reloaded thousands of glocked 40 rounds with a Lee “U” die but have not encountered such heavily glocked brass in 40 as this 10mm chamber appears to produce. 

anyone been here before and have a solution? 

- different die? 
- pass through sizing? 
- something else? 

press: Dillon 550

die: Redding full length 10mm

case: starline 10mm, once fired

pistol: Glock model 40

photo….. left to right

- new starline

- shot once

- tried to size 62C88705-F2BD-4642-B04F-283FE9939258.jpeg.62eba42143326e40f659561539c64545.jpeg

1 hour ago, JayDee said:

Yes, double-checked. Plate 5. 

can we see the primer.? 

what was the load?

Is it every 4th case that has this issue?

Edited by AHI

1 hour ago, JayDee said:

Yes, double-checked. Plate 5. 

Is the appropriate locator button in place?  Should be a #2. 

If a #3 button is in place on 40/10mm it will give the case that off center appearance.

Edited by BJB

4 hours ago, AHI said:

can we see the primer.? 

what was the load?

Is it every 4th case that has this issue?

No pics of the primers in hand but they appear fine. 

load is 7.3 grains of CFE Pistol under Xtreme 180 RNFP. Vel. 1137fps. 

all the cases seem to have this issue. 

Edited by JayDee

3 hours ago, BJB said:

Is the appropriate locator button in place?  Should be a #2. 

If a #3 button is in place on 40/10mm it will give the case that off center appearance.

#2 is in use. But, these are stuck at sizing station, haven’t even gotten to a station with a button :) 

My brass.        Mouth .416      base ..420  after sizeing. (Redding die) .Don't have any fired unsized case at this time. 

As stated above you may have a bad chamber. Have you fired any factory ammo in this gun? 

If you have a passthrough die you may be able to save the brass. But I would not recommend it. CFE pistol is very similar to Autocomp.

That's the one powder that gave me pressure issues.  The load was mid book. No were near max charge.

Edited by AHI

I’ll get in touch with Glock to examine the chamber. 

I have not encountered pressure issues before with CFE Pistol in 9 and 40 but this load is hotter than most of my USPSA loads. 

JayDee,

Just measured some of my brass.  Once fired Starline 10mm brass was .425 at the base, shot from an Infinity barrel. It had not yet been resized. Once fired nickeled Speer brass fired from an Infinity barrel measured .425 at the base. 

Once fired .40 S&W nickeled Speer brass, shot from a Glock barrel measured .431 at the base, clearly from the Glock bulge.  The same .40 S&W case run through a Redding GRx die measured .423 at the base.

Looks like it may be the Glock chamber causing the issue with resizing.  The Redding GRx die will eliminate the bulge, although it adds one extra step.  Good luck and let us know your results. 

Michael