Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compatible 9mm deprimer dies

Most common presses, including the 550, use the same threading 7/8" x 14.

All the usual suspects have decapping dies which use that threading, Dillon, Redding, Lyman, RCBS, Lee, etc.

Question: Did the die itself  actually break or did only the pin break?

There are aftermarket pins available for many of those dies. 

Just tap the case out of collar with hammer and punch. Clean collar and die, glue collar into place with superglue or with suitable bearing glue. Roll the edge with punch a bit. 

This should last until you get a replacement. If you do it right it will last longer than the original :)

AHI, yes and I will give the short version. I now have 10 emails and 3 RMA #’s plus a lot of confusion. They seem to want the collar and stuck casing but I am not sure, given the repeated assignment of RMA's. By the way, when I crossed trained to a flying assignment during Vietnam, my NCO was and is from Boone, NC. Beautiful country.

Kema, thanks for the reply. You don’t know how much I want to try this. If I could find a source for a new die, I would definitely try this. If the Dillon warranty process doesn’t resolve soon, I will proceed. My biggest concern is that the stuck casing gauged fine, so why did it get so stuck in a carbide collar? Seems like the collar has a problem. To have Dillon transfer this collar to another die body gives concern. Following your advice, at least I am not out the $10 return shipping if it fails again. Thanks again 

common problem with some Dillon dies.  They will not reuse the collar. The multiple RMRs is because .You are confusing the Dillon Rep. The same as I was confused earlier. Thermology is very important. Buy a sizing die to get you by for now. Hear is an inexpensive one.  Note :The sizing ring can come out of any brand of die.Not just Dillon. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012827841?pid=386755

A Dilly quote “We'll remove the case and reinstall the carbide ring in the new die body.  This will be faster than waiting for a new carbide size die.” Yes, they will reuse the collar. 
Agree, terminology is important. You call it a sizing die. Again, a Dillon email quote

“550B deprimer” stated an initial response. Tried to use their terminology.

1 hour ago, Harley999 said:

We'll remove the case and reinstall the carbide ring in the new die body.  This will be faster than waiting for a new carbide size die.” Yes, they will reuse the collar. 

interesting beng the outer diameter is the root cause of Dillons issue. That tidbit of information . Came from a Dillon engineer.

Unless they have some undersized bodys lying around.

Edited by AHI

Just had a great interaction with Midway and their representative, what an outstanding organization. Added bonus is I always wanted to try a Lee product and it is made in the USA. Problem solved.

Thanks for all your support.

For God and Country,

Paul

A pretty big advantage to Dillon size dies are the radiused entry.  That keeps the case mouth from hanging up on the die's rim and binding up the press, making progressive presses run a little quicker.

The cool thing about 9mm is that it's a tapered case.  That shape obviates any needed radius on the die.