Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COAL Tanfoglio Limited Custom Xtreme

Goat259

Good Evening,

I am currently in the process of gathering all the tools needed to reload 40 S&W. 

I have purchased a pound of VV N320 and 180 gr. Blue Bullets RNFP.

I have been scouring forums for a recipe to know where to start as the reloading manuals I own do not have N320 for 180 gr. 

I want to figure out my COAL to start. In the manuals it says maximum COL is 1.135, but in tons of forums people are doing COALs of 1.18-1.2. How does this work? The book says one thing but everyone is going over the max? 

On powder loads, the max load for powder of N320 for 180 grain is 4.1, but people are doing upwards of 4.2-5. How is this not causing a safety issue with the larger powder charge and longer than book max COAL?

I am shooting a Tanfoglio Limited Custom Xtreme for USPSA in Major power factor and would like some help in getting started in reloading. The barrel is 4.75."

Where do I start on choosing a COL for my reloads? Do I find where the lands are and then subtract .015-.020" off the lands? I was thinking of using blue loctite, seating the bullet just inside the case then closing the slide on my firearm and and let dry for a half hour. Then just subtract .015-.020" and use that as my COAL. Is this an appropriate way to find a COAL?

I want to use the recipe containing:

VVN320

180 gr RNFP Blue bullets.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Goat

I used to have a good load for N320 and 180s, I'll look around but I bet there are lot on here already, that's a good combination. Where did you find N320?

On OAL, there are a lot of factors that go into that and I would never say to go against what your reloading manual says but this is what I do and several others I know do also. Load up a round without a primer and powder with something that might be a little long. Most Tangfoglios have short chambers so it won't be too hard and the bullet/weight/ogive/etc. also play into this configuration. Take your barrel out and you will be doing a "plunk" test. Drop your test round in the chamber and it will probably stop short. You will feel it hit the lead. Then start slowly seating it deeper and deeper while dropping it in your chamber until you hear it start make a "plunk" sound. Now with the round in the chamber completely, try to turn it. It should freely spin also. If you can do that, that's about your max OAL. In all of my Tang/EAA/CZ types, they are normally 1.130 and below. Search on here for the plunk test and I'm sure you will find tons of results. There are other better ways to find your chamber dimensions but let's just stick with this for something simple. 

Also, on the statement, "...people are doing upwards of 4.2-5.", most loads are slightly or more over what you see in some manuals. If you do that, it's up to you and I'm not telling you to do that, I'm just saying that's what a lot of us normally do. Look at 9mm Major...there are no published loads for a solid 170 PF 9mm load but thousands are shot every weekend all over the US. 

I'll see if I can look up my old .40 loads but I'm surprised you haven't found something like that on here.

I had found a lot of resources on here but had trouble finding a answers on what length I should load out to. I know of the plunk test but have been told by a gunsmith that it is an idea of what to do, it is not always accurate and can lead to pressure problems if loaded too long yet. 

In regards to people loading above the max COAL and grains that is said in reloading manuals, are the reloading manuals only displaying "safe" loads?

So lets say I do a plunk test. Lets say at 1.134 the round drops in, but does not spin freely. So I load a round to 1.132, and it spins freely, would this be a good COAL to load to?

My local Scheels has N320 in stock so I picked up a bottle.

Thank you for the advice, I look forward to your feedback.

Goat

5 minutes ago, Goat259 said:

I had found a lot of resources on here but had trouble finding a answers on what length I should load out to. I know of the plunk test but have been told by a gunsmith that it is an idea of what to do, it is not always accurate and can lead to pressure problems if loaded too long yet. 

In regards to people loading above the max COAL and grains that is said in reloading manuals, are the reloading manuals only displaying "safe" loads?

So lets say I do a plunk test. Lets say at 1.134 the round drops in, but does not spin freely. So I load a round to 1.132, and it spins freely, would this be a good COAL to load to?

My local Scheels has N320 in stock so I picked up a bottle.

Thank you for the advice, I look forward to your feedback.

Goat

That’s the goal of the plunk test. Checking for a COAL that would allow the round to spin and fall out freely when the barrel is tilted over. Loads in the manuals are safe loads. However, use them as a guide and not as recipes. The Gun they used to test those published loads are different from yours too.

I always recommend to new reloaders to start off at the minimum powder load and work up a load by increasing it incrementally. A chronograph is a must for me. It’s the best way for me to make sure my loads are on the safe side. I also check the fired cases for any signs of over pressure.

Good luck and be safe.

10 hours ago, Goat259 said:

This gives the max you can load out that particular bullet in that chamber. Changing the bullet profile or using in a different chamber would need to be retested. Also, remember it doesn't have to be this long, this is just the max. Also, pressure is not linear so the shorter you make your loads, you might encounter pressure spikes at a certain point due to the reduced internal volume. You have to find the "sweet spot" for your loads. For example, in my 2011 platforms, they really like long loads and it helps with reliability so my current load for them is is set at 1.175 OAL (This is 9mm). This functions well, reliable, no pressure signs, fits my chamber easily, etc. For my CzechMate, my loads are 1.130 (limitation of the chamber and the mags on anther pistol) and these also function perfect and run well. So my point is you have to weigh all the options with load data from published sources, find other empirical load data, and then make your own conclusion about your loads. That's the one thing I love about reloading, you have full control. Just don't do anything that is way outside the norm or is just screaming, "hey, hold my beer" kind of thing. 

And as George16 said above, start low, work up slow, watch for pressure signs, and always use a chrono. Good luck.