Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA BOD Minutes Posted - New BYLAWS are now in effect

BritinUSA

24 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

was not aware of that, i haven't payed much attention to stoeger since he stopped shooting uspsa nats. I have always liked hoppy, personally. squadded with him a few times and found him to be hard-working and helpful.

I like Ben's podcast, I'll like it better once we get past the drama and more shooting content. I listen to most of the podcasts because I have a long commute. So far I've had trouble getting the uspsa podcast to work right. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I like Ben's podcast, I'll like it better once we get past the drama and more shooting content. I listen to most of the podcasts because I have a long commute. So far I've had trouble getting the uspsa podcast to work right. 

i listened to ben for years, and took 2 classes with him when I was getting started in the sport. Even got a hug from him at 2014 nats after he unloaded and showed clear (I was running the timer on the last stage). I stopped listening when it became more drama than shooting. Also I've had a zero-length commute for the last 23 months, so i can only sit still long enough to listen in a bubble-bath with a beer, and that's only if there's no football or biathlon on. First world problems, lol.

I think one can have honest and respectful disagreements without descending to where things are now, and it's also nice to have an understanding that in any organization, you don't always get your way. If someone sees a different solution, or a different path forward, that doesn't mean that person is dishonest, or nefarious, or wants anything other than the best for the sport and the org and the the members.  For sure the previous president was part of that civility gap. I'm not seeing anything like that with the current pres, or the board, and I hope that continues. Regardless, I'm going to keep shooting and working matches because 99.8% of what people are freaking out about has absolutely no effect on me or my local matches, or even the majors in my area.

12 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I think one can have honest and respectful disagreements without descending to where things are now, and it's also nice to have an understanding that in any organization, you don't always get your way. If someone sees a different solution, or a different path forward, that doesn't mean that person is dishonest, or nefarious, or wants anything other than the best for the sport and the org and the the members.  For sure the previous president was part of that civility gap. I'm not seeing anything like that with the current pres, or the board, and I hope that continues. Regardless, I'm going to keep shooting and working matches because 99.8% of what people are freaking out about has absolutely no effect on me or my local matches, or even the majors in my area.

Well said. 

8 hours ago, motosapiens said:

BritinUSA too should run. Lets see if his ideas are more popular now than last time.

I would certainly have the time to do the job (I took early retirement last year at 55),  I won’t be doing it for the following reasons/opinions:

• I’m not sure what the point of the position is now; The next president has no real authority to guide the direction of the sport, it’s just a figurehead. 
  • The president’s vote on the BOD remains the same, but with the 3/4 rule in effect any significant change (bylaws) is going to be almost impossible.
  • I have spent 30 years competing in this sport, under both IPSC and USPSA rule books in multiple countries; I have become disillusioned with an organization that has watered down the challenge of the sport.
  • It has changed from promoting gun-handling skills in competition to a mis-guided principle of ‘grow the revenue’, regardless of the impact to the clubs/membership and the incessant changes to the rule book.
  • USPSA provides very little of value in return club/membership fees and the activity fees. The rule-book is not printed anymore and the classification system is broken (see Pineland for just one example).
  • Use of media for the sport is sadly lacking for a multi-million dollar organization - it needs to do better; But the future President will have zero authority over this too.

6 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I would certainly have the time to do the job (I took early retirement last year at 55),  I won’t be doing it for the following reasons/opinions:

• I’m not sure what the point of the position is now; The next president has no real authority to guide the direction of the sport, it’s just a figurehead. 
  • The president’s vote on the BOD remains the same, but with the 3/4 rule in effect any significant change (bylaws) is going to be almost impossible.
  • I have spent 30 years competing in this sport, under both IPSC and USPSA rule books in multiple countries; I have become disillusioned with an organization that has watered down the challenge of the sport.
  • It has changed from promoting gun-handling skills in competition to a mis-guided principle of ‘grow the revenue’, regardless of the impact to the clubs/membership and the incessant changes to the rule book.
  • USPSA provides very little of value in return club/membership fees and the activity fees. The rule-book is not printed anymore and the classification system is broken (see Pineland for just one example).
  • Use of media for the sport is sadly lacking for a multi-million dollar organization - it needs to do better; But the future President will have zero authority over this too.

And the new bureaucrat (and I think I know who he will be) will get paid very well and is completely politically unaccountable.

Sherwyn Greenfield is not the problem.  He's a good dude.  The problem is so much bigger than that.

Any candidate or president who can't manage a 75% consensus to make fundamental changes to the org should view that as indicative of a) inadequate leadership skills or b) bad ideas. 

Actually it always should have been that way. Being subject to whims and easily manipulated popular opinions makes for a weak organization. 

22 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

congratulations on retiring early. note to self, the president's authority seems little different going forward than when you ran for president last time. It was a part-time position then too.

1 hour ago, jester121 said:

Any candidate or president who can't manage a 75% consensus to make fundamental changes to the org should view that as indicative of a) inadequate leadership skills or b) bad ideas. 

Actually it always should have been that way. Being subject to whims and easily manipulated popular opinions makes for a weak organization. 

I was thinking about this the other night. On the one hand, making substantial organizational changes, and then changing the threshold necessary to modify or repeal those changes smells a little fishy on the surface..... OTOH, i'm on the board of my local gun range, and I can't remember the last issue where we didn't reach unanimous consensus after discussing it, so I'm not sure it will make a whole lot of difference. Maybe I'm lucky and the rest of our gun club board is just super-easy to get along with.

Same reason director elections are staggered and not in the same year. Stability is good for the org, and any major change should be carefully and thoughtfully considered, slow, and deliberate. Especially for a mature one like USPSA.