Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stainless vs plastic guide rod ?

452Varmint

6 hours ago, Artemas said:

it makes the "plastic is bad" crowd feel better

Maybe an extra once of weight and it should last longer. Not that many people are wearing out a guide rod.

2 hours ago, SouperMan said:

Nothing wrong with the plastic guide rod. It's sole purpose is to keep the recoil spring parallel with the barrel and not binding. This being said, I upgraded mine because it looked cool.

Thank you

12 hours ago, Artemas said:

it makes the "plastic is bad" crowd feel better

Maybe an extra once of weight and it should last longer. Not that many people are wearing out a guide rod.

Well, my plastic has been in the gun for 50k+ rnds and no issues. That include practice time and drills that heat the slide and front of the receive to where I cannot touch them with burning my hand.  Have extra plastic rod guides but don't think I'll ever use them.  YMMV

Several guns use plastic guide rods. When I tear down my Shadow 1 it always bothers me. But works fine. 

I am past (I hope) swapping out perfectly good internal parts for better materials or looks. Now something like a longer lasting slide stop will be of interest.

On my SP01 Shadow1 Custom I switched the steel guide rod over to plastic to lighten the front end for different balance, on my CZ85C I switched to full length steel guide rod to increase front end weight to make it balance a little more similar to the Shadow :)

just gives an option to adjust the feel of the gun to your preference.

Edited by eric4069

I run tungsten guide rods in my SP-01 and one of my Shadow 1s.  I prefer a muzzle heavy gun.  From a reliability standpoint, I have no issues with the plastic, I just wanted more weight out front.  I got some brass grips to try, but for the gun to feel right for me, I need to also run a light as a weight then to get back to the right balance.  

I changed out the guide rod in my SP01 for the ZC Custom stainless steel one, ….. and ….. in my Shadow 2 took out the stainless steel and replaced it with the Cajun Gun Works plastic guide rod. 

😆  🙄 

• 1 year later...