Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An Abomination: Let’s desecrate a Schofield

Rudukai13

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so I have come to the decision to change the optic on the Schofield as the current high-mounted tube-style sight isn’t working for me from a visual standpoint. I’ve decided I want to try to go with a more Eotech-style optic. Here’s where I need help - which one should I get? Currently looking at these options:

- Vortex UH-1 Gen2

- Holosun 512C

- Eotech EXPS

- Sig Sauer Romeo8

Are there any other options in this style I should be considering? Right now I’m leaning fairly heavily towards the 512C, for the solar backup and cause it’s significantly more affordable. Plus it’s still fun to piss off the purists by adding a rail and optic and piss off the tactical nerds by using a Chy-nah dot.

Any suggestions?

Uberti lists the stock Hardin model Schofield at 2.6 lbs, or 41.6 oz.

13FE386E-C9E7-431D-98EA-FB194C62651E.thumb.jpeg.e4434e49779082a211654804edbbce42.jpeg

This is…Slightly more. 4 lbs 6.5 oz or 70.5 oz. For reference, a Mk XIX Desert Eagle in 50AE is listed around 69.8 oz.

So much for needing the Knucklegun, I can just pummel somebody with this anchor when it’s empty

78CC3CD3-0CAC-4BF7-A8AF-8B540C1CC9E1.thumb.jpeg.ecfc153433d3d77d23739bfde82f1d40.jpeg

The 512 should be here tomorrow, and it’s looking like Tuesday afternoon will be the very first range trip for the gun to get zeroed and tested. It will be the very first rounds shot through the gun, stock or otherwise. We’ll see how it does!

IT IS OFFICIALLY STILL A FUNCTIONAL GUN!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgNmygnAFka/

Brought it back to the gunsmith that helped build it today and got it zeroed at 10 yards. Once Bart had the POA dialed in, he proceeded to punch a single ragged hole with the wheelgun.

C7E214FE-D54B-43D0-B68E-969682CFA805.thumb.jpeg.0afb1a4db935ba33adbc142eb70dc7f1.jpeg

These were the very first rounds ever fired through the revolver and it performed flawlessly. I shot a couple cylinders through it myself and I must say the recoil isn’t noticeable in the slightest when you’re behind the gun. Shooting 45 Colt out of a boat anchor unsurprisingly results in hardly any recoil whatsoever. I did learn a couple interesting things - for one, the ammo quivers did start to loosen during recoil so when I got home I applied some blue loctite to each and tightened them back down.

More interestingly, it turns out the polymer tip of the FTX bullet in the Leverevolution loads is just barely too long for the Schofield cylinder, and doesn’t allow the cylinder to rotate when you try to cock the hammer.

845B4D69-00BD-44E1-95C3-9E3AE1F049ED.thumb.jpeg.e4334ff48c84afe633447378029dc76b.jpeg

So, no neat red-tipped bullets lining the side of the gun, but it sure shoots the American Eagle JSP loads well. Other than those two small things, the gun worked perfectly and the shroud remained rock solid. That makes this a successful project!

BC7B31D3-4817-4493-866D-6E75FCE56DF8.thumb.jpeg.264837de36a0f42c256c9e4a9f4d9b9d.jpeg

Oh, and one more thing - the next outing for this beast will be to my local Fudd range. Just to see how many of them we can make cry 😈

Since the Leverevolution rounds ended up not working out I decided to order up some Winchester PDX1 bonded JHPs. This still isn’t meant to be a serious defensive or hunting gun at all, but no harm in making decent JHPs available for it in the highly unlikely event it ever is pressed into that need. Still nearly $2/round though…

@Rudukai13,  That write up from Uncle Fudd is an excellent distillation of this thread with good use of your photography. 

My only quibble would be to have the “Shroud” anodized to match the Bluing on the cylinder/barrel, but that is me. 😁

FWIW, one of my SASS Pards and I wanted to get a brace of Schofields when they were first reproduced in the mid ‘90’s and shoot an IPSC/USPSA match with them using HKS speed loaders and Black Powder Cowboy loads for $#!@$ N Grins 🤪

That would have Been Atascadero about 1995/6, but being poor college students it was just an idea. 

22 hours ago, Modoc said:

@Rudukai13,  That write up from Uncle Fudd is an excellent distillation of this thread with good use of your photography. 

My only quibble would be to have the “Shroud” anodized to match the Bluing on the cylinder/barrel, but that is me. 😁

FWIW, one of my SASS Pards and I wanted to get a brace of Schofields when they were first reproduced in the mid ‘90’s and shoot an IPSC/USPSA match with them using HKS speed loaders and Black Powder Cowboy loads for $#!@$ N Grins 🤪

That would have Been Atascadero about 1995/6, but being poor college students it was just an idea. 

Thank you very much! I was thrilled when UF asked if he could feature the gun on his blog.

While I don’t shoot CAS/SASS, my understanding is the Schofield revolvers aren’t popular among competitors because they lack the ability to pin the trigger and slip-hammer like the Vaquero and SAA/Remington repros