Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An Abomination: Let’s desecrate a Schofield

Rudukai13

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/30/2022 at 2:30 PM, Rudukai13 said:

Wishful thinking that I don’t actually plan to defile a classic revolver?

Could care less what you "defile"- it's your pistol. Just wondering about the thought process of why this would seem worthwhile or...... well never mind.

Guess this falls under the category of "Hold my beer......." 🍺

2 hours ago, sfinney said:

Could care less what you "defile"- it's your pistol. Just wondering about the thought process of why this would seem worthwhile or...... well never mind.

Guess this falls under the category of "Hold my beer......." 🍺

For fun

2 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Ridiculous! 

I like goofy and outside the box, but it looks you are also killing the usability, with all the weight way out in front. 

Nonsense it’ll be perfect for concealed carry. I’ll be able to clip my key ring to an empty rail slot on the handguard

7F0615B5-3F9D-4F28-8991-E4D7A277FAB7.thumb.jpeg.a24c47a7835771d8dba7e8fc9f4751b4.jpeg

These little extra ammo holders from Hoptic USA look great studded along the side of the recently popular tactical lever guns, figured they’d be worth trying on this modernized old western design. It’ll be a little while before I have the gun back to mount them on, but there you go

• 2 weeks later...

By the end of this month my gunsmith should be finished with fitting and installing what we’ll refer to going forward as the shroud. He said he’d give me a call, have me come in and inspect how it’s been fitted and shaped on the revolver, make sure I’m happy with the overall aesthetic and function and then the shroud will be sent off for Cerakote refinishing. Assuming no major delays the whole thing should be completed and back in my hands by May!

• 2 months later...

54A60D0F-A670-4762-9F6C-925973D94874.thumb.jpeg.b17cade19e2e266c67906ab6cb08bb18.jpeg

Rough shaping of the handguard is finished and the ‘smith has my go-ahead to start drilling into the revolver. When it’s actually mounted it’ll sit a bit lower on the gun and the sharp corners will be smoothed out but major progress is happening!

• 4 weeks later...

Gunsmith called, the revolver is ready for final inspection and approval before the shroud gets sent off for cerakote. I’ll be going in a bit later today to take a look and will get plenty of pics!

EFAE3B9E-82C5-4A17-9A89-CDDBAD62DBA7.thumb.jpeg.7be964b8124560989fe70837f027cdc4.jpeg

f*#k. YES.

7780BDB5-BEF4-4CE9-9F41-CF0FE7DDEEFE.thumb.jpeg.fa4b7ff02f4f51c92b275ca2f6347ac4.jpeg

BA67A1A2-885F-4FA2-A89E-29561DB215DE.thumb.jpeg.e3b28d5faab5f82ec9cf4326aa61bc0c.jpeg

FD1C93AF-FB6A-405E-A687-6E42DC8FE3E3.thumb.jpeg.8e617ef09a70c6be070d952ca90b0ea8.jpeg

My gunsmith did an amazing job with this, it’s solid as a rock and looks fantastic. The shroud and new hardware will be going off tomorrow to get refinished, and then it’ll be all done but for the shooting.

I did also make a stop at the local Cabela’s and grabbed a little ammo for this monster.

2800357E-5AF6-4150-80C9-8F92A7310BC9.thumb.jpeg.0cae14a6055e3d4ab12b6688caa7271b.jpeg

This is still mostly intended to just be a fun display project and I doubt I’ll put more than a few dozen rounds through the gun per year, but it’s absolutely going to remain a functional gun when all said and done.

B0522564-D335-4A56-931C-C149ED9906BC.thumb.jpeg.8b1a582084c0e29af31725e393f49c8f.jpeg

Nearing the finish line now!

6 hours ago, Nathanb said:

I hope you’re color case hardening this thing. 

The shroud won’t be getting CCH as it’s aluminum, but the original CCH finish on the frame is remaining untouched and the factory charcoal blueing on the cylinder and barrel is remaining. The shroud and mounting hardware will be getting cerakoted in Midnight Blue (H-238)

• 1 month later...

Update call from the gunsmith - the Cerakote applier that they use caught the ‘rona and was out of commission for a short while. The ‘smith says he should be getting the parts back the end of this week and it should be ready for pickup next week!

I’m probably leaning to the conservative side, but I would be leery of shooting the leverloution in a Schofield. I know that the locking mechanism is not as strong as a Ruger Blackhawk or a Freedom Arms, having shot all three. The standard target loads below it should be fine, since they are rated for older Colts.  The Leverloutions that I shot in my 44 Mag were recoiling similar to hot CorBon loads (Ruger Blackhawk).  They may be good for a couple shots though.  

If you want fun, find some BlackHills or 10x Black Powder Cowboy Loads.  Plenty of recoil and flame. 😁

15 minutes ago, Modoc said:

I’m probably leaning to the conservative side, but I would be leery of shooting the leverloution in a Schofield. I know that the locking mechanism is not as strong as a Ruger Blackhawk or a Freedom Arms, having shot all three. The standard target loads below it should be fine, since they are rated for older Colts.  The Leverloutions that I shot in my 44 Mag were recoiling similar to hot CorBon loads (Ruger Blackhawk).  They may be good for a couple shots though.  

If you want fun, find some BlackHills or 10x Black Powder Cowboy Loads.  Plenty of recoil and flame. 😁

I had originally written them off as well but I was assured any SAAMI spec loads were safe to shoot through the gun, and the Leverevolution load is a 225gr bullet going 950fps, well within normal range for standard 45 Colt ammo. I probably won’t shoot more than about ten rounds of it in total though, most of the shooting I’ll be doing with this gun will be with the Federal American Eagle loads and even then this is not at al going to be a high round count revolver.

I expect the two boxes of ammo pictured above will last well over a year with the amount of actual shooting I’m going to do with this monstrosity